• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Big Sky Love

Big Sky Love

12

This is my third story and I am enjoying the feedback from the Literotica community. I appreciate all feedback whether it be votes, favorites, or comments. My goal is to write a touching romantic tale that is fun to read so please keep that in mind when reading.

*****

Daniel wins a key to the city and Haley's heart

The sky was filled with a beautiful orange glow as the sun set beyond the distant mountains. The people of Deercreek, Montana could not have asked for a more perfect night for their 150th celebration. The town's founders decided to build a quiet and wholesome ranching community a century and a half ago. Today, Haley Wilson found herself in one of its sprawling public fields waiting for the fireworks show to begin.

"How can you not be more excited?" Lisa asked.

Lisa was one of Haley's friends. Or perhaps it would be more fair to say Lisa was Haley's only real friend. The town of Deercreek was small, 7500 people, and Lisa was the only person her own age that Haley talked to on a daily basis.

"I am excited!" Haley said, though it was clear she was faking it.

A month ago she had broken up with boyfriend Roger. It was about time. He started off as a great date, and the two had known each other growing up, but soon into the relationship he started drinking more and more. He was not mean or aggressive, he just would never do anything except stay at home with a 12-pack of Coors.

"Good! This isn't Times Square on New Years but this might be the biggest celebration Deercreek has ever seen," Lisa said.

She was right. The crowd that day was a massive 10,000 people spread out over several fields with food stands and carnival games. It was more people than lived in Deercreek, or had ever been in the town at any time. Everyone living in Deercreek came, and people from neighboring towns had flooded in as well, knowing it would be a good time.

As the sky got darker, Haley shared a cotton candy with Lisa and watched the high school's band perform some of their songs. The two of them had managed to snag a spot near the main stage when the official ceremony started.

"Once the fireworks start I'm going to find Andy," Lisa said. Andy was her boyfriend. Haley thought he alright. A nice guy, but a bit boring and not smart either.

"OK. I may head home then," Haley said.

"Non-sense! With all these people walking around there has got to be a new guy for you," Lisa said.

"We'll see..."

The choreographed presentations began and it seemed like everyone with any claim to Deercreek got to make a speech. Each of the previous mayors that were still alive, five of them, stood up to the microphone and gave their own reasons why Deercreek was the best town in Montana. An old school principal, a minister, and a random postman did as well. Finally, there were just two men left on the stage

"Happy 150th birthday Deercreek!!" the town mayor yelled into the microphone.

"Thank you all for joining us," he continued, "Before I come back and give my final ode to our lovely town, I wanted to share some good news. As you all know our town has survived through the years on the helpful spirit and generosity of our people. The Gordons are some of the people. The Gordons were here 150 years ago and I hope in 150 years the Gordons will still be here with us."

The crowd let out a chuckle as the mayor continued on.

"As you know the town has been facing some monetary issues but the Gordons have stepped up. The family has decided, and it is my pleasure to announce, that they will make a $1.5 million dollar donation to help refurbish our schools!!"

The crowd began to cheer as the mayor's excitement grew, with him shouting the last of the words through the microphone.

"It's a small token of appreciation, but I am here to present the key to the city to the Gordon family. You may be asking, 'I didn't know Deercreek had a key to the city?' It didn't until today. The Gordons have been so generous we had to make one just to give to them. Daniel come up here!"

The mayor pulled a two-foot long, old-fashioned iron key out of the podium and turned around. A man walked towards him. He caught Haley's attention at once. From where she was sitting, she hadn't been able to get a good look of anyone until they were at the podium.

The man was tall with wide shoulders. He had short brown hair which was combed in a nerdy but charming way. Unlike the others on the stage, his suit looked new and tailored. His muscular hands gripped the podium and he leaned into it.

"Thank you. I'm Daniel Gordon. Most of you probably know my parents better," he talked slowly and with a calmness. Unlike the mayors and other speakers, it didn't sound like he was trying to be the loudest one at a pep-rally. He was serious, "I wish my father was still with us, and I wish my mother was in good-health to be able to join us at this celebration tonight. I was born in Deercreek and it feels great to give back."

With that short speech he walked back to his seat.

"Who are the Gordons?" Haley whispered to Lisa. Haley had been born and raised in Deercreek, but her parents had moved there from out-of-state. That meant, unlike Lisa, she wasn't in-tune with town politics especially when it came to "Old Deercreek". That's where the money was in the town. Despite the size of Deercreek, not everyone crossed paths.

"The Gordons own that crazy house down on Hitching Post Lane. The one that looks like a fortress. They've been here since the town was started," Lisa said.

Haley nodded, inching up in her seat trying to grab another view of Daniel who was not towards the back of the stage.

"Why, you interested?" Lisa said in a playful tone, making fun of Haley, "Maybe I'll try to introduce you."

Haley blushed and did a slight hand wave towards Lisa, as if she wasn't interested. But she was, at the least, intrigued. The man was from one of the oldest and most established families in the town, yet Haley had never seen him and he did not look like anyone from Montana. He was too stylish, too organized, and maybe too handsome.

The mayor gave a final speech and then the fireworks started above. Every Fourth of July the town had a show, but this was much larger and much grander than the amateur show that they threw together then.

Part of the crowd had begun to spread out into an open field that had a better view of the fireworks.

"Follow me," Lisa said. She grabbed Haley's hand and soon they were weaving through a crowd of people. "Let's find you your Prince Charming."

"Maybe I'd rather just go home. I don't want to run into Roger," Haley said.

"You're not going to run into Roger," Lisa said. Haley knew that Lisa was right. Haley's ex-boyfriend was almost surely at home drinking and watching baseball.

Lisa and Haley were walking almost perpendicular to the crowd which was migrating to the other field. Every few seconds they had to stop and let someone by, only to move again rapidly trying to avoid the people coming at them.

"I thought you were going to go find Andy," Haley said.

"He can wait a minute. My parents were friends with the Gordons. Don't worry, this will be good," Lisa said.

Soon they had broken free from the crowd and saw the group of former mayors all congregating in a circle by the stage, shaking each other's hands and laughing. Daniel, anyone could tell from his body language, was less enthused. He was standing up straight and stiff, as if he was only there because he had to be.

The two girls waited for a few moments, and when the circle of men started to splinter they walked towards them.

"Hey Daniel. That was so generous of you and your family," Lisa said, "I'm Lisa by the way. George Moore is my father."

"Oh ok. I think we played together when we were very little. Sorry, I haven't spent that much time here in so long that my memory is faded," Daniel said.

"Daniel, this is my friend Haley. Haley this is Daniel," Lisa said stepping back. The two stuck out their hands and introduced themselves again. As Haley looked into Daniel's eyes she saw a deep sincerity. He was gentle despite his large size.

"How's your mother doing?" Lisa asked.

"Not great. That's why I'm back here in Deercreek, actually. I live in Manhattan. I had to take a month off from work. She's the one who's really donating the money, I guess I'm just here to represent us."

BZZZ. BZZZ. Lisa reached into her pocket and grabbed her phone which was ringing.

"Ah, it's my boyfriend Andy. I got to go find him. You two can stay here," Lisa put the phone to her face as she started walking out.

"So...you live in New York?" Haley asked. She wasn't sure what to say and he was intimidating. He was much taller than her, very handsome and strong. And most of all, he lived in New York. Haley had never been to New York and had barely ever been out of Montana.

"Yeah. My parents starting sending me to boarding school when I was 10. I moved to New York for college and never left. I come back here for Christmas but that's usually it, until recently."

"Where'd you go to school?" Haley asked.

"Columbia."

He was an Ivy-Leaguer. She had gone to Montana State. Deercreek wasn't exactly swarming with college degrees. For most jobs you didn't need one so there was no point in spending a fortune trying to get one.

The two chatted a bit longer. He was thirty, four years older than her, and was an only child.

"So what do you do?" he asked.

"I'm a Pre-School teacher. I work with kids. I really like it," Haley said.

Daniel began to take in Haley. She was a wholesome beauty and clearly kept in shape. She was average height for a girl, maybe 5'5, with golden wavy hair. She was wearing jeans and a tight sweater. Unlike the girls in New York she seemed friendly and happy. She actually smiled when she talked, Daniel noticed. She didn't keep checking her text messages and pretending like she had somewhere better to be.

"It was really nice to meet you Haley. I think I better head back to my mom's house. She's probably about to go to sleep and I need to make sure she takes her medication."

"Oh alright. Well it was really nice to meet you!" Haley said enthusiastically. She was attracted to his demeanor and his sweetness which was evident even through his slow and careful talking. Daniel was far from the life of the party, though it would be tough to be at this celebration given how riled up the true locals were.

"I'm sorry if I seem a bit distant or cold. I'm not always like this. I just have a lot on my mind with my mother," he said.

"That's alright, hopefully we bump into each other again," Haley said.

"Yeah, I hope so."

Daniel reached his arms around Haley, squeezing her against him. It lingered for maybe five seconds. She was surprised by the intensity of the hug. He didn't try to cop a feel or get too personal, but it was a long hug for someone she had just met. Haley knew why. Daniel had a lot on his mind and clearly needed someone to hug. He was thousands of miles from where he had spent the last ten years, and most likely the only person he talked to was his ailing mother.

***

Haley was at work the next Monday, watching four-year olds throw finger-paint at each other, unable to free her mind from Daniel. He was mysterious. He was wealthy New York man who's family had a million dollars hanging around to donate to a town that, based on the fact Daniel was an only child and lived elsewhere, they had little connection to anymore.

In the afternoon she was the one teacher who had "Pick-up" duty, as she would wait for each of the kid's moms to come pick them up. It was just her and a small girl named Christina.

"Do you have a husband?" little Christina asked.

"Nope, I don't. Do you have one Christina?" Haley asked as she watched the young girl scribble in her coloring book.

"No. I asked Nate to be my husband but he said no," Christina said, scrunching up her face in anger as she talked about one of the boys in the class.

Finally Haley heard a car pull into the pre-school driveway. Haley grabbed Christina by the hand and walked out to the car. It was a nice Mercedes, and a man stood up and got out of it. It was Daniel.

"Oh. Hi Daniel," Haley said, unsure what he was doing here.

"Haley. Hey, how are you!" Daniel said. He was much more spirited in his tone than he had been at the celebration.

"I'm well. It's so great to see you. What are you doing here?" Haley asked. She was gripping Christina's hand but the youngster kept trying to walk towards Daniel.

"I'm here to pick up Christina. She's my neighbor's daughter and I promised them I'd pick her up from pre-school," Daniel said. He walked around the car, and opened the door for Christina and she hopped in.

"Well, that's sweet of you."

"Yeah sorry I was late though. I was on the phone with the doctor," Daniel said.

"You know, if it's stressful for you to drive all the way out here I can just drive Christina home tomorrow," Haley offered.

"Well, that would make things easier for me. I knew agreeing to pick her up was going to be a lot of stress. Let me give you their address," he said.

She took out her phone and jotted down the street.

"I'm right next door, house number 4400. You can come by and say hello after if you want," Daniel said.

"Yeah, ok. Maybe I will."

She said maybe, but Haley knew she wasn't going to pass over a chance to see Daniel again.

***

That night Haley did yoga in her house and only had yogurt to eat. She had been called attractive by many people before on many occasions, but wanted to make sure she was perfect if she got a chance to see Daniel again.

The next day moved slow, but finally pick-up duty came and one-by-one every child except Christina left. Haley brought her to the car and drove her to the address Daniel had given her, dropping the child off with an elderly aunt who would be watching after her.

She got in the car and starting to drive towards Daniel. She was nervous as she turned into the driveway and loosened her foot off the pedal to drive as slow as possible. The house was massive. The majority of the house was two stories though it was clear in some parts the ceiling must reach massive heights. There was barn after barn on the property even though she couldn't imagine much farming or ranching done. They looked like they had all been converted to open spaces or guest houses by now.

Haley knocked on the door. There was no reply. She knocked once more, and again heard nothing. Defeated, she turned around and walked to her car, a beat-up Toyota Camry she had bought used.

"Haley!" a voice beckoned her "How's it going?"

She turned around to see Daniel waving at her from the door. He was wearing salmon shorts and a buttoned shirt. He looked very preppy. It was more fashionable than what the typical guy in Deercreek would wear out, but she could tell it was just what Daniel wore when we was around the house.

"I'm doing well. It's a beautiful day."

"Thanks for stopping by. I'm kind of itching to get out of the house though, do you want to go grab a drink?"

Haley was delighted. Sure, she wouldn't get the chance to see the biggest most beautiful house there was within a 50 mile radius, but she hadn't been out with a guy since she broke up with her boyfriend.

They got in his car, the Mercedes, and headed towards Tommy's Pub which was the only real bar in town. Daniel grabbed a stool and Hannah sat next to him, and soon they both got a beer as sports highlights played on the TVs above.

"Two fifty for a beer? They don't print numbers that low in Manhattan," Daniel said.

"Welcome back to Montana," Haley said, "though if you factor in your recent donation to the town that drink is costing you one-million, five-hundred-thousand, and two dollars."

The two laughed. It was the first time Haley had heard him laugh out loud and it was intoxicating. He reached his hand out and rested it on her forearm as he covered his mouth.

The two began swapping stories. Haley couldn't help but think her stories were a little less grand. Daniel told her that he was the President of a real estate company in New York. He had rose through the ranks very quickly and now reported only to the CEO and Board of Directors. His exciting work stories were about closing deals for entire buildings buy outbidding his rivals at the last minute. Her stories were about the time one of her pre-schoolers tripped and had a cut on their legs.

"It must be nice," Daniel said, "to live here and only have to worry about the circle of people around you."

"I suppose. It can get a bit boring," Haley said.

"I don't know. It's not like New York is that exciting. Sure, for the first couple years it's like an extended vacation in a foreign city but then you settle down and realize the people around you are interchangeable and dull. They wear fancy clothes and watches to seem interesting or different but they're all the same."

"Why do you live there then?"

Daniel froze. It was as if the question had never crossed his mind before, and after a few more moments of hesitation he finally answered.

"Like it or not it's my home. I've spent more time there than anywhere else. Too many people depend on me, and it can be pretty fun selling skyscrapers."

"Yeah," Haley said, "When are you going to go back?"

"Well, I'll be here as long as my mom needs me. I'll head back whenever things get better or get worse. My company understands but I'll be back as soon as I can."

"You're not going to stick around a bit longer to hang out with me?" Haley said. She was feeling bolder than she had been, and stuck out a hand and grazed it along his shoulder. She said it in such a flirty playful tone that it could not be interpreted as anything but a joke, but she wanted it to be true.

"Haha, well you are pretty great. And cute," Daniel said.

He looked at her, sitting on her barstool with a can of beer in her hand. The bar was dim, quiet, and empty. This wasn't New York and she was not like any girl he had met there.

"You're pretty great too. I mean, let's be honest, around here you're the coolest guy in Deercreek," Haley said.

"You're the coolest person I've met in Deercreek," Daniel said, "And if you were in New York you'd be the coolest person there too."

The two laughed at their flirty barbs and brushed each other's arms. She found her hand in his, a light grip around her fingers.

She looked at his eyes and suddenly both stopped laughing.

"You know. It was nice to get out here with you. It's been so stressful at home with the sickness," he said, "I'm happy to have you as a friend."

Haley didn't say anything but continued to stare into his eyes. She leaned forward just an inch and he began to gravitate towards him. He closes his eyes, and so did she, and soon their lips were pressed together. His hand reached to her sides and pulled her closer.

"Can I get you two anything more to drink?" the overweight bartender interrupted. Daniel and Haley separated their faces and began to laugh.

***

That was their last physical contact at the bar, as Daniel had to go back to check on his mother. He drove Haley back to his place so she could get her car back.

"That was a lot of fun. I hope we do that again soon," Daniel said.

He leaned into Haley, bending over and placing a kiss on her before she could process it. She rose to the occasion, grabbing his neck as he grabbed her waist and the edge of her ass.

"And I hope we do that again too," Haley said as soon as their kiss ended. Daniel smiled, lowering his head slightly to give her one last parting kiss on her forehead.

That night at home Haley did not do her yoga. She was a bit too intoxicated from the couple of drinks she had at the bar and a bit too intoxicated with feelings. She just got into a tank top and shorts and laid in bed with music.

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Big Sky Love

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 97 milliseconds