• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • The New Wolf Ch. 07

The New Wolf Ch. 07

123

A/N: Many thanks to Jayknie and NotSweetEnough for their edits!

*****

Lucas was pacing back and forth in his apartment. He debated on running away. He would be an outcast, but at least he'd be alive. The challenge was going to be called any minute. He spent the week begging and pleading with people to back him, but could not find an eighth vote. Lucas wouldn't run though, he still had pride. If he ran now his legacy would be that of a coward. Even if death came tonight at least there would be some dignity.

A knock came on his door. Lucas choked down the fear and dread that wanted to bubble over. When he opened it one of the council member's men stood there. Lucas wore black gym clothes but his escort was dressed to the nines.

"It's time."

Lucas nodded. Keeping his face straight. He didn't say a word as he walked down the empty halls. Everyone in the pack was outside. Lucas and James would be the last two to arrive. The cold winter air didn't have an effect on him when they left the lodge. He saw torches lighting up a section of the lawn and knew that was where they were headed. Lucas looked at the dark sky, there was no moon tonight.

The torches created a circle, all of the pack members stood around it while Lucas was walked to the center. James was already there. The third person was the council member. Lucas had never seen one in person before. He had dark skin and long dark hair. He was wrinkled, showing his age, but when he locked eyes with Lucas the power flowing off him was intense. Lucas bowed his head in respect.

"James Bishop, there has been a challenge issued regarding your abilities as leader of this pack." The council member's voice sent a chill through Lucas. "Who issues this challenge?"

"I do." Lucas stepped forward. The council member nodded at him.

"And you are?" He said.

Even though this was a serious event some members of the pack snickered. Lucas needed to keep his cool and focus. He tried to forget these might be the last moments of his life.

"Lucas Gable."

"Who here supports Lucas Gable's challenge?"

"I do." Roxy stepped into the center.

The next few seconds felt like hours. Lucas was sure this was it. He pictured his mother's face, tickling him as a young boy, the first time he was with a woman how awkward he was, the first outcast he killed, other ways he had protected the pack, then Clara. His heart went heavy at her face. He was going to leave this earth without ever having been with his mate.

"The required number to support a challenge is eight. I only see seven who rally behind you Lucas Gable."

Lucas was brought back into reality. He looked at the smug look on James' face. He wanted to hit it off.

"I will ask one last time. Does anyone else support Lucas Gable's challenge?"

Lucas kept his eyes on James, knowing if he saw the looks of pity from the other pack members he would break down. When the smug grin faded into a hurt frown Lucas turned to see what James saw.

"I do." Suzy took a step into the center.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The blond girl's eyes went wide with shock. She raised her hand and pointed at a fireman who walked away from the scene of the crime, her voice stuck in her throat and nobody paid her any attention.

"So the guy got away with it?" Vanessa asked.

"Looks like it," Julie replied.

"Didn't they shoot him like five times?"

"I thought it was good," Clara said.

Julie got up from the floor and flipped on a light. The credits started rolling and Vanessa reached for the clicker.

"I've seen worse," Vanessa said. "Do you want to watch another one?"

Clara pulled out her phone. There was still no message from David, but it was almost eight o'clock.

"I feel like I should head home."

"It's Friday night. We worked all week, relax. Have a glass of wine." Julie picked up the bottle and poured more into Clara's glass.

"She just misses David," Vanessa said.

Julie gave a long 'Oooooo' and both of them started laughing.

"I know we're not supposed to ask. He sort of went all alpha on everyone and told us to back off, but we've hung out three nights this week. What's the scoop on you two? Are you a couple or roommates?"

"Oh we're a couple," Clara said.

It surprised her that they didn't know. She pictured David telling everyone to back off and felt guilty for her freak out earlier this week.

"I'm pretty sure we're friends. Ignore David, you can ask me whatever you want... well whatever you would ask a friend."

Vanessa and Julie's eyes both lit up. Clara hoped they threw a ton of questions at her, anything to keep her mind off of what was happening hundreds of miles away tonight. She reached for her wine glass and took another gulp.

"How serious is it? He seems like he's in some love bubble. We've never seen him this happy before. Which by the way we are very appreciative of," Vanessa said.

"Well... he's supposed to mark me tonight."

Both Vanessa and Julie gave a little excited squeal and jumped on Clara giving her a hug.

"This is too much fun," Julie said. "Normally it's just mates go off and do it right away. But you get to plan for it! What are you going to wear?"

"You will be our Luna then. You'll still hang out though right? You promised me you would teach me how to paint."

"Calm down ladies," Clara said. "Of course I'll still hang out, and my focus is on art restoration and history. I'm not much of a painter."

"But you talked about hosting a wine and paint night? That sounds like a lot of fun."

"Oh yea, that I can do." Clara wasn't used to being needed like this. It was refreshing. She checked her phone, still no message from David. "I really should head home."

"Thanks for coming over. Good luck tonight."

Vanessa and Julie walked Clara to the door. They waved goodbye and she started her walk back to her house. The past few days had been filled with ups and downs, but overall Clara was happy, probably the happiest she'd ever been. Her days were filled with helping out around the pack and learning more about being a wolf. She spent her night either with friends or David. She felt at home here.

One of the other homes was having a heating issue. David said he would text her when he was finished with it, but it had been too long. She was starting to get nervous. When their house came into view Clara ran over. She opened the door, hoping to see him sitting with a book apologizing for forgetting to call, but instead the house was empty. A feeling in her stomach told her something was wrong.

The phone started vibrating and Clara opened the message.

Sorry, taking forever, almost have the thing fixed, be home in an hour.

Clara felt silly. David was acting like this was an average Friday night and she should too. The challenge had nothing to do with their pack. They didn't even know what time it was set to happen; it could've been this morning even. Clara forced herself to focus on the positive, as soon as they got confirmation James had won David was going to mark her. A smile spread across her face.

Earlier in the week Magda described how wonderful being marked by the man you love is and Clara got more excited about the whole thing. At first the feminist in her was upset by the idea, but as soon as she had David's mark she planned on giving hers to him. Magda told her not to worry about how to do it, that it was an instinct. Having David bound to her sounded too good to be true.

~*~*~*~*~*

Lucas couldn't believe his luck. Suzy hated him, but not as much as she hated James. Now he wore the smug smile. James lifted his arm and tried to hide a yawn. Lucas scoffed. Was the alpha that sure of himself? Lucas knew it wouldn't a walk in the park, but he planned on giving it his everything.

"The quota has been met. Now the two of you will fight. There is no shifting, you must stay in your current form. There is no time limit or break. I will determine the winner. When you hear my voice stop whatever you are doing. Begin."

The council member backed away. James raised his fists and Lucas did the same. He knew James wouldn't make the first move, if it were up to him they would stand here all night. Lucas started to circle, his opponent did the same. There was no size or speed advantage. This would come down to skill level.

Lucas ran forward with a raised fist. He came down hard on James, but the Alpha blocked him and managed to use his other hand to nail Lucas in the side, he went to touch the pain and James delivered a powerful blow to his face. Lucas cursed himself and backed away.

"Running away already?" James taunted him.

The man's eyes were glossed over. He looked disinterested in the whole process causing Lucas' adrenaline to spike. He went forward again. This time he stopped short of hitting James' defenses and brought his leg up, kicking the Alpha in the stomach. He bent forward and Lucas brought his other fist upward, making direct contact with James' jaw. He tried to grab James' shoulders and throw him to the ground, but he managed to slink back.

"Now who's running?' Lucas asked. "You should never have stopped me."

"I protect my pack." James breath was labored.

Lucas was surprised the other man was having a hard time this early. He had seen him in way worse fights in much better shape. Not wanting to lose any advantage Lucas attacked again. This time James blocked his punch and his kicks, but made no offensive maneuver. Lucas dropped his leg and brought the other up. James went to block but was too slow. Lucas nailed him in the side with his knee. He grabbed on to James' shoulders and brought his knee up over and over. James struggled to get out of the hold, but Lucas was relentless. Finally, James stopped trying to block the attack and used his arms to pry Lucas' off. The Alpha stood up and threw a punch, landing right on Lucas' eye.

James tried to back away, but Lucas ignored the pain and went in for an immediate counter. He used both fists and got James on each side of his face. The man let out a painful groan and tried to kick Lucas, who had already repositioned himself. Lucas brought his leg up and kicked James in the back, sending him flying into the ground.

Before any attempt to stand could be made Lucas jumped on James' back and started pummeling him. James tried to twist around, but Lucas pinned him down. He raised his fist high in the air and brought it down on James' neck. A sick crack filled the air.

"Enough."

Lucas heard the council member speak right before his fist made contact. He wanted to keep going, feeling gipped that the fight was this short. But even in his hyped up state he knew to listen to the elder. He rose and tasted the copper in his mouth. The pain in his eye was trying to push forward and Lucas realized his vision was gone. None of it mattered, he looked at his opponent on the ground and wanted to give him a few kicks for good measure, but not right now.

"The council recognizes Lucas Gable as the new alpha of this pack."

A small group cheered. Lucas scanned the crowd, most people looked upset, but he wouldn't let their disappointment take this moment away from him. He was winner.

Marilyn rushed forward and threw herself down on James. She was sobbing, trying to rouse him. Lucas felt arms slam into him. He turned his attention to Roxy who was kissing and hugging him. He put his arm around her like the trophy she was.

"Your first decision as Alpha. Decide James Bishop's fate."

Death. That was the obvious call. He looked at the group of scared people, the ones who wouldn't back him and saw firsthand how weak their alpha had been. If the next step of his plan was going to work he needed them to follow him into war, to rally behind him. There was one way to earn their respect and demonstrate he was the alpha they deserved.

"James Bishop you are no longer a member of this pack. You have twelve hours to get your personal belongings and leave. If you ever walk on pack grounds or bring harm to one of my members, I will kill you. Doctor please see to James."

"Why did you do that?" Roxy looked at him with shock.

Lucas let her go and addressed the crowd. The doctor and Marilyn were picking up James and taking him into the house.

"I know most of you didn't want this. I proved tonight that I am fit to lead you. If you want to follow James into the wild I will not stop you. Maybe you will get lucky and another pack will take you in or maybe without a recognized alpha you will go mad. I don't want that. You have my word I will protect you and push you to your best."

Thundering applause came from the pack.

"Tonight we celebrate!" Lucas yelled to more cheers.

Not a soul went to follow James. Instead they all began to shift and take off in the woods, excited to run.

"Aren't you coming?" Roxy asked.

"I have some business to take care of," Lucas said. "I'll be here when everyone gets back."

"I'm so proud of you. I can't believe I will be Luna!" Roxy gave Lucas a kiss on the cheek before taking off.

Lucas turned to face the council member.

"Can you feel it happening?" He asked.

"What?"

"Your heart." He touched Lucas' chest. "All wolves' power comes from their hearts. It is how we are tied together. As a new Alpha they are bonding to you. Enjoy it, the memory of this feeling will stay with you forever."

Lucas' heart was beating so fast he couldn't feel a thing. Since it was supposed to feel pleasant he closed his eyes and gave a nod. Then out of the blue a feeling of euphoria hit him. It spread all over his body and then started to center itself right over his heart. It seemed like he was absorbing it directly into his system. He opened his eyes. The council man looked pleased.

"There are not many rules you must obey; we want each alpha to govern as they see fit. You must continue associating with other packs, you must come before the council once per year with a progress report, and important matters must be brought for our approval."

"I have an important matter I would like to discuss with you now," Lucas said. "I am requesting permission to declare war on David Dresser."

The council man kept his stone face. These men showed no emotion, Lucas wanted to learn how.

"What is the basis for this request?"

"David Dresser has my mate. I want her back."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was close to midnight when David came home. Clara was sitting on the couch, trying not to let her mind wander too far.

"I am so sorry about this," he said.

Clara looked up at him. He was covered in grease. A small laugh came out.

"The problem with the furnace was bigger than we thought. The temperature is supposed to drop next week so if we didn't get it fixed we ran the risk of pipes freezing. Peter also refused to spend the night somewhere else. I know better than to try and argue with a stubborn old man."

"It's fine, really," Clara said.

"No it's not. Tonight was supposed to be our night. I had this whole thing planned for when you got home. I really screwed up."

"I want to wrap my arms around you and give you a kiss to let you know I think it's sweet you saw to Peter tonight, but you're so dirty I can't touch you."

"I smell pretty bad too. Give me five minutes." He walked into the bathroom and turned the shower on.

"Take ten." Clara yelled.

She knew without asking he hadn't heard from James. David spent all week trying to play that this was no big deal. Clara knew part of him was worried too. If James called to say Lucas was done he would have shared that tidbit. The shower shut off and David came out with a towel wrapped around his waist.

"Did you eat? I'm starving." He walked into the kitchen and Clara followed.

"You didn't hear from James."

"He's probably too busy celebrating. I'm sure he will call tomorrow."

David grabbed a bowl and poured some cereal.

"You're not going to mark me tonight, are you?" Clara asked.

David put down his food and walked over to her. He let out a sigh and wrapped his arms around her. She leaned against his bare chest and listened to his heart beat.

"I have every intention of making you mine. I know this isn't as romantic as I hoped, but my plans haven't changed if yours haven't. Why don't you go in the bedroom and I'll meet you there in a few minutes?"

Clara looked up at him. The water made his hair look more gold than blond. When he looked at her she felt cherished. It made her knees wobble and a chill run down her spine.

"Don't take too long."

They broke their embrace and Clara walked back to the bedroom. She shut the door behind her and changed into the cotton white nightgown. It had thin straps and an exposed back. It wasn't lingerie, but it was her.

She lit the candle on the nightstand and turned off the lights. She tried to prop herself up on the bed to look enticing for him when a dull ache started in her heart. It wasn't painful, but it meant one thing. Lucas was alive. Clara told herself that didn't mean he beat James. Maybe he was an outcast now and picked up some strange woman. She wished David had marked her long ago so she didn't have to feel this.

She closed her eyes and saw Lucas' face. If he marks you I will kill his pack and everyone you have ever cared about. Clara thought of everyone here. She wasn't willing to risk their lives, not until she knew for certain there was no real threat. She blew out the candle and got under the covers. Not even a minute later the door opened.

"Clara?"

Still wide awake Clara slowed her breathing and kept her eyes shut. She heard David let out a sigh. The bed dipped and then his arms wrapped around her, snuggling her from behind. He kissed her shoulder blade.

"I am so sorry. I will make this up to you. I promise."

Clara wanted to tell him she wasn't upset and would prefer to wait, but instead she continued to fake sleep, knowing it would be hours until it really came.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The council man told Lucas he would have an answer tomorrow. It was impossible to read the old guy, but Lucas was feeling confident. Everything was going his way now. He walked up to his new apartment and sat behind his new desk. In the top drawer sat James' cellphone, which was now Lucas'. He flipped the thing around and debated on making a celebratory call, but decided against it. He started flipping through papers, curious what sort of alpha only information was in the drawers.

The door opened and Roxy walked in, she hadn't bothered to dress after the run. Lucas put the phone back in the drawer and sat up.

"Good evening Alpha," Roxy said. "Everyone is back. You don't want to make an appearance at the party?"

"It looks like I'm having a private party up here."

Roxy walked around the desk and sat in his lap. She tossed her hair over her shoulder exposing her neck.

"This is everything we ever wanted. I am so proud of you, of us. There was a little hiccup, but I knew if I kept at it you would realize you loved me."

She leaned up and kissed him. He could tell she wanted soft romance, but he was in the mood for rough fun. He bit her lip as she pulled away.

"There's no reason to wait any longer. Do it."

She turned her head dropped her shoulder and bent her neck. Lucas had no intention of marking her. That was reserved for Clara. He decided now was as good as ever to fill her in on his plan. Before he had to a knock came to the door.

"Come in," Roxy said.

Lucas gave her a stern look. It was not her place to give permission. She shrugged and smiled. The door opened up and Suzy took a step inside.

"We're busy," Roxy said.

Lucas pushed Roxy off his lap and stood up. Suzy kept her head high and walked in the room. Ignoring Roxy's pouts, she took a seat across the desk. Lucas nodded at Suzy and took a seat.

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • The New Wolf Ch. 07

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 179 milliseconds