• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • The Knave of Jacks Ch. 01

The Knave of Jacks Ch. 01

1234

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 1 - Prologue

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely reporterette from the side of City Hall, at 7:00am, Monday, September 19th. "As you can see behind me, progress on the new Community Center is well under way, and is expected to be completed within days. The Town has come together to make this happen since the Courts ruled in favor of Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart's Charitable Trust and allowed the work to begin."

"And in other news, the politics are heating up!" Bettina said. "SBI Director Jack Lewis has renewed his attacks on Governor Val Jared, especially Jared's positions on tough law enforcement against illegal immigrants in the State. Surprisingly, several State Republicans, including Representative Wilson Hammonds and Senator Sean Stockton, said they do not agree with Governor Jared's positions on immigration, and while they stopped short of withdrawing their endorsements of the Governor, they made it clear that they would not support him legislatively. The Governors race is tightening, with Jared holding a 48-46 lead, well within the margin of error."

"And in our hottest local race, District Attorney Gil Krasney's campaign finally definitively stated that he would not debate his former Assistant D.A., Jenna Stiles, citing his strong record of prosecutions was enough for the voters to choose him to continue as District Attorney. Meanwhile, Ms. Stiles's support is beginning to slip, and our political experts told us why. Roll tape."

A tape came on, showing Dr. Romanov of the University's Center for Politics, as well as (deeply biased) reporter John Hardwood, in a taped interview the day before: "Yes," said Hardwood, "Ms. Stiles's campaign is single issue, based upon the treatment of women by the District Attorney's Office. But the actual record of D.A. Krasney is not weak in that area, and voters are beginning to tire of the single-issue message of Ms. Stiles."

"What can Ms. Stiles do to rejuvenate her campaign?" asked hostess Amber Harris.

"She needs a broader message." said Dr. Romanov. "Her record of drug prosecutions was marred by some bad policework from the Town & County Police Vice Department, particularly that of their former Detective, Sergeant Sharples. The women's issues by themselves are not enough to overcome the District Attorney's superior overall record of convictions, especially in the last four years."

The program returned to Bettina live: "And in other news, the FBI's attempt to hire SBI Lieutenant and Crime Lab Director Tanya Perlman as a Consultant has hit a snag, as both Regional DOJ Director Harold Bennett and SBI Deputy Director Robert Gaston have objected to her dual role. Lt. Perlman, who was paralyzed when her family was attacked by criminal agents of the late Pastor Raymond Westboro, was credited with solving the recent murder of Melissa Darby Cash. And now let's go to Nick Eastwood for Sports. Nick!"

"Good grief." said Teddy Parker as we watched in MCD. "I know the SBI is corrupt, but Bennett too?"

"They're doing the FBI a big favor if they try to get rid of Tanya." I said. "If they get rid of her, the FBI could hire Tanya as a full Agent and analyst."

"Commander," said Joanne Warner, anger visible on her beautiful face, "why are the Republicans attacking their nominee for Governor?"

"Because he's not an Establishment Elitist like they are." I said. "Governor Jared is putting out a message that is popular with the American People. The Establishment Republicans, who consider themselves beholden to the Big Business interests that give millions in campaign dollars to them, hate that popular message almost as much as the Democrats do."

I went on: "Big Business wants illegal immigrant labor, which is cheaper than having to hire legal immigrants or American Citizens, and it's also a way to keep from hiring Blacks, which Democrats want so they can keep Blacks subjugated and voting for them, the Democrat Party. So everyone wants to sabotage Jared, even the Republicans, and even if it means losing to the Democrats."

"That is so wrong." said Joanne.

"Yes." I said. "People are beginning to figure out the Establishment's lies, but will it be in time? And I never cease to be amazed at how many people don't seem to care about pure corruption. Jack Lewis tried to have Chief Griswold murdered, and ended up killing a U.S. Marine, a father of two children... and nobody seems to give a shit; they'll vote for Lewis no matter what, simply because he's the Democrat."

"And Joanne," I continued, "you won't like hearing this, but the Republicans have done this to themselves. Their message as well as their actions have made their brand so toxic that nobody on any side of the political spectrum wants to vote for them. They've allowed Democrats to paste them as racists without putting up any kind of counter-argument, as one example."

"Captain," said Theo Washington to Cindy Ross, "what do you think of Krasney using the record of Commander Troy and ADA Patterson against Jenna Stiles?"

Cindy replied: "I'll never be heard complaining about the successes of the Iron Crowbar. As to the drug convictions, that God-damned bastard Sharples is going to be on Death Row. But politics is what it is, and Jenna will have to bear the brunt of that."

"All right, folks," came the gravelly voice of Chief Moynahan as he came into the room, "we're Police Officers, dedicated to upholding the Law, no matter the politics. So let's talk about something less controversial: Mr. Crowbarrrr, how badly will the Wildcats whip the Bulldogs this year?"

I noted he was looking sideways at Cindy as he said that, and he was seeing that he'd earned a 'look' from Cindy that would kill mere mortals. Theo and I both laughed.

"Er, it won't be 70-0, Chief." I said. "But be assured... the Wildcats will win the day, and maintain the honor of the Red Crowbar over the Blue... or Green, as the case may be." Cindy was now glaring at me, and I was glad I had the bulletproof 'girdle' on. Everyone else was grinning or laughing.

"I'm going to start doing Steven Ikea imitations." said Cindy, who then raised her voice and preached: "The dayyyy of retribution is at hand! The pow-er of the Bulldog Nation will ri-i-i-i-ise up to defeat the iniquity of the Wildcat Pestilence!" We were all but rolling on the floor, so hard were we laughing.

"Hoo boy." said the Chief through his laughter. "My mistake. Politics was less controversial..."

"And less damaging to our sensibilities, sir." I added...

Part 2 - Silver Linings

"Thank you all for allowing me to usurp your 'Crowbar-level' meeting." said Chief Moynahan. We were in the Chief's conference room. The Chief was at the head of the table, I was at the far end. Cindy was to my left and Teresa to her left (to the Chief's right). Lt. Wes 'Coldiron' Masters was to the Chief's left, and between him and me was Deputy Chief Della Harlow.

"Well, you did provide doughnuts, Chief." I said. "Always a successful bribery technique."

"And judging from the speed with which they disappeared," said the Chief, "I would think you guys never eat at home. Okay, the reason I wanted to meet with all of you is to hear the information being developed by our Vice Squad. Lt. Croyle, the floor is yours."

"Thank you, Chief." said Teresa. "Since the death of Pastor Westboro, we've been on the watch for any groups that think they can come into the Iron Crowbar's territory and make mischief. For the most part, no one has tried to fill the vacuum left by Westboro, until recently. We're beginning to get information on a possible gambling operation. Commander, if you'll wheel out of the way..."

The television was mounted on the wall behind me, and Teresa was about to use it. I got up and closed the blinds, then moved my chair to the side, next to Myron, and turned so I could see the screen. Teresa turned off the lights, then hooked her laptop to the monitor cable.

Seconds later a photo of a man in his forties appeared on the screen. He had a full head of black hair, which was frizzly curly in the picture. Another picture then appeared, showing his hair styled into a more wavy pattern.

"This is James Ira Gilchrist, a.k.a. 'Jaime Silver'." Teresa said. "Exact age unknown, but he is believed to be in his mid-forties. He has a brother, named 'Harry Silver', but Harry has disappeared... as in possibly terminally... and Jaime has risen to take Harry's place."

"Jaime was operating illegal casinos in the City, and he was working with Captain Susan Wexler, feeding her information on his wealthy clients in return for not getting his tables closed down. He was never caught by Law Enforcement, but when the Commander took down Captain Wexler, Silver shut down everything and went underground, maybe out of our State and to our neighboring State to the east."

Teresa continued: "Our intel is saying that he may be looking to open some tables in the Tenderloin District. We're watching Weinstein, who like Gilchrist is Jewish, and we think they might begin working together. T-Square has never been one for gambling, to our knowledge, but that doesn't mean he won't work with Gilchrist to set up a location... for a percentage of the cut, of course."

"Did this guy work with the Consultant?" asked Della. Everyone looked at me.

So I answered: "To my knowledge, Silver did not work directly with Westboro, but we know Westboro and Wexler had a connection. I'd say that the Consultant kept Silver out of this area, because if Silver had been caught it might have led back to the Consultant's operations. But I'm sure the Consultant was getting something from Silver, through Wexler. Protection-type money. And probably providing Silver with information in return... like who the cops are, and who the SBI agents are, such as that."

"So now he thinks he can come into this County because Westboro is gone?" asked 'Coldiron' Masters.

"Before I answer," I replied, "Lieutenant Croyle: did Silver set up any operations in Southport?"

"No sir, not that we can tell." Teresa replied. "The Mob is running their own operations down there, and they don't exactly like outside competition. The Consultant was 'advising' them also, by the way. They basically paid him to stay out of their area, and to not fuck them up, as he was very capable of doing if he'd wanted to. And in return for the protection money, he'd have let them know if someone like Silver tried to come onto their turf."

"So..." I said, musingly, "to answer your question, 'Coldiron', maybe Silver thinks it's okay to try to come in and set something up over here. The City may still be a bit warm for him."

"Don't they have their own Mob in the City?" asked Della Harlow.

"Sure." I said. "And the politicians out of there are part of it. Justin Madoff is operating there with near-impunity, and Richard Langdon controls most of the prostitution there, as he does in Midtown. If Silver wanted to operate there, I'm sure they'd gladly open the doors for him... for a price, of course."

"So maybe he's coming here because he thinks he can set up without having to pay someone?" Cindy asked.

"Yeah." I said. "But let me say this: there are already a few forces at work, here. T-Square controls the Tenderloin District here, and he controls a lot of the Red River District in Midtown, which is their equivalent of our Tenderloin District. Then there's Thomas P. Cook, our Town Councilman, who was working with the Consultant though I could never make a connection between them that would get Cook arrested. Cook is, in my estimation, the most well set up to begin taking over for Westboro, which is why I really have my eyes on him."

"The point of this," I went on, "is that Silver is not just going to walk in here and set up... unless he has backers. So if we can get a lead on his backers, and bring down the crowbar most heavily upon their heads and shoulders, we'll go a long way to keeping this corner of the State clean and relatively free of corruption."

"You think T-Square is backing him, sir?" asked Teresa.

"No." I said. "T-Square is not exactly friendly with the Jewish Community. I think the only reason he doesn't bring Weinstein to harm is because I, Your Iron Crowbar, would not tolerate such anti-religious conduct. I think it's much more likely that Cook is the one whom Silver would approach."

"We have lists of Cook's properties." said Teresa. "I'll ask David and Lainie to work on those and see if there's fresh activity."

"Let me ask this question of you all." said the Chief. "If this Silver fellow brings in gambling... will he also try to bring in prostitution?"

"Probably, sir." said Teresa.

"I agree." I said. "And with a University full of young women looking to make a few bucks and not being particularly moral about how they do it... yes, that would be one reason this County would be attractive to the likes of Jaime Silver."

"So..." said the Chief, "that's an area to be watching, is it not?"

"Chief's all over it." declared Cindy. "We don't need the Iron Crowbar anymore. Turn in your red crowbar at the Duty Desk, Mr. Wildcat."

"Sure." I said. "Right after the last weekend in October, Ms. Green Crowbar. You know... the weekend that the Wildcats spank the Bulldogs?"

"Speaking of gambling," Teresa said, "I sense a big bet coming." Everyone laughed... except Cindy, who was still glaring at me...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Very impressive, Thomas." said State Senator Katherine Woodburn, looking around. "So you bought the Wargrave estate, did you?"

"Yes, Mrs. Wargrave sold it to me." Town & County Councilman Thomas P. Cook said. "She's living in the City or in Florida full-time now. She bought Hamilton and Erlene Myers's property and boat in Florida, and so I bought this estate. I always liked this side building as an office complex, and the main house is not too big."

"Impressive." said Katherine. The property was in the exclusive Heritage Cloisters subdivision, and they were in the room that the late Henry R. Wargrave had used for an office, and now was Cook's office. It was also relatively secure from being bugged, and was well-protected with bulletproof windows.

"So, have a seat. Can I get you something to drink?" said Cook. As Katherine politely refused refreshment and sat down, Cook sat down behind his desk. "I appreciate you coming here today. I know you're very busy these days."

"Busy, yes." said Katherine. "But mostly supporting other Democrats in their campaigns. I canceled an appearance with Jenna Stiles to meet you here, but that's no big deal. I'm afraid Jenna's not going to win, this time."

"A pity." said Cook. "But Krasney is more of a buffoon, so maybe his winning is to our advantage, yes?"

"Probably." said Katherine. "So, what was it that you wanted to meet me about?"

Cook smiled. "I wanted to keep you informed of certain things that are going on. First, do you know a gentleman named Jaime Silver?"

"The gambling magnate?" asked Katherine. "Yes, I've heard of him, though 'gentleman' is not a word I would associate with him."

"Perhaps. But my news is that he wants to come into our area." said Cook. "He wants to set up tables in Nextdoor County, at that new resort hotel on Lake Reservoir, the Lakeside Inn & Suites. He also has an idea of setting up something in Valley Villages, in Rivers County, west of Coltrane County."

There had long been an old roadside inn at the southern end of Lake Reservoir, near the highway and just on Nextdoor County's side of the county line with us. The inn had fallen into disrepair, but an enterprising group had bought it and fixed it up into a resort-like facility, with conference rooms, walkways along the lake, fishing and boating, etc. The hotel taxes were less than what the Town & County Assembly set on our County's hotel industry. The idea was to take advantage of the University's proximity for both ball games and conferences, as well as provide a 'getaway' location that was within reach of the City and Midtown. Was it working? Not quite sure.

"Valley Villages is not in my District," said Katherine, "though Nextdoor County is. But he wouldn't approach you for that, Thomas. So, what's he cooking up around here?"

Thomas P. Cook smiled. "He wants me to help him find a ... quiet place... to set up an operation, and maybe have some girls in the back rooms. Right here in Town. I haven't committed yet."

"Good." replied Senator Woodburn. "I'd think twice about helping him on that, especially the prostitution."

"Why is that?" asked Cook.

"Because this is probably the worst Police Department in the State to challenge by bringing in those vices." said Katherine. "If you thought Griswold was a goody-goody teetotaler, Sean Moynahan is twice that. The TCPD's Vice Squad has been incredibly vicious towards drug gangs, and I doubt Lieutenant Croyle is going to brook gambling and prostitution much better. And do I even need to say the last reason?"

"The Iron Crowbar?" Cook asked. "He's crap. A bull in a china shop, is what he really is. We'll slide in right underneath him, set up, and he'll be none the wiser. Besides... the FBI has been all but pulling him out of orbit to help them with their wild goose chases for white supremacists starting up race wars."

Oh Lord, why must I suffer these idiots? Katherine thought to herself. Out loud she asked "And who is going to be your liaison to Jaime Silver, what with Sharples on his way to Death Row?"

"Oh, that'll be easy." said Cook. "Westboro left behind a lot of stray cats that need work. I'll just use one or more of them."

"And that's my point, Thomas." Katherine said. "I'm going to make a free gift of this for you: You haven't thought this out. You don't even have a plan in place. And you better believe the Iron Crowbar is just watching and waiting for someone to come in and try to set up behind Westboro's fallen house of cards."

"The Iron Crowbar is nothing, except maybe lucky." said Cook. "And he works for this County, over which I hold considerable sway. He can be removed, and quite easily, if he pushes too hard."

Katherine just looked at Cook. "Thomas..." she said, shaking her head, her voice connoting derision, "Pastor Raymond Westboro was the most brutal and brilliant criminal, and his organization the most intense concentration of raw power that I have ever seen... outside the Presidency of the United States itself. No one even suspected who Westboro was, nor what he was doing. And then along comes one man... one man, Thomas... who not only detected Westboro, but utterly crushed him and his network. Totally wiped the bastard out. Does that not even bother you in the slightest?"

"No." Cook said decisively. "No it does not."

"Okay, then." said Katherine, getting up. "You're on your own. I won't have any part of this gambling scheme of yours and Silver's. And when the Iron Crowbar crashes down on you... I won't be there to pick up the pieces, either."

"Thank you for coming by, Senator." Cook said coldly. "You can show yourself out." With that, he got up and exited the room through the side door, both persons thinking the other was an absolute fool to be easily crushed... and both about to become competitors as they pursued the same goal of filling in the void left by the death of the Consultant of Crime, Pastor Raymond Kyle Westboro.

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • The Knave of Jacks Ch. 01

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 185 milliseconds