• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • The Usual Suspects Ch. 02

The Usual Suspects Ch. 02

123

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 5 - Political Boundaries

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, October 5th, from in front of the Courthouse. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Council has passed structural changes to the Police Department, which includes the elimination of a Precinct and a consolidation of Operations within the Police Force!"

"It is also going to be a big day within the Court system here, as rulings on Jeremy Moreland and former Police Commander Robert Brownlee are expected to be handed down. The State Supreme Court will hand down its emergency ruling on the Jeremy Moreland case, and that is expected before noon. The Federal Courts have already denied allowing the case into the Federal system, citing that Federal Law is already clear and established on this matter.

"Channel Two News has also learned that lawyers for the man accused of beating Jeremy Moreland potentially to death are going to Court to demand the State formally declare its charges against their client and proceed with the legal process. The State has asked for more time to file charges because Jeremy's status is in limbo pending the outcome of the State Right To Life's lawsuit."

"And in political news, SBI Director Jack Lewis met with Narcotics Task Force Director Richard Ferrell. Roll tape."

The tape rolled, and the voice of Jack Lewis praising Ferrell reached my ears. "I want to congratulate Richard Ferrell and his agents for successfully solving the Jeremy Moreland case. I have nothing but the highest respect for and confidence in Richard Ferrell, and he will absolutely be considered as my successor as SBI Director when I win in November!"

Back to Bettina: "And locally, former ADA Jenna Stiles brought out her harshest rhetoric yet against incumbent D.A. Gil Krasney. Roll tape."

The tape showed Jenna Stiles, her face almost as red as her hair, screaming to a group of supporters: "Gil Krasney tried to sweep rape accusations under the rug, showing his hatred of women! And now we learn that Gil Krasney brought the hammer down on Coach Grimes, a black schoolteacher and coach, and then threw his Assistant D.A. Patterson under the bus for it! Gil Krasney has no honor, and he has no respect for minorities! This County needs a better man than Gil Krasney, and I am that man... and woman, too!" The crowd cheered loudly.

Back to Bettina: "Public Policy Polling tells us that Director Lewis is opening a can on Governor Jared, and now leads 49-44%, better than the margin of error. And Jenna Stiles's campaign, once thought dead, is now within four points of D.A. Krasney, 48-44%. Early voting will begin in just a couple of weeks!"

"Sir," asked Joanne Warner, "what are the Police Structure changes about?"

"They're going to fire all the redheads in the Police Force." I said. "They consider me too rebellious." No laughter, not even a chuckle.

"Wow, tough audience today." I said. "Okay, okay... all I can say now is that no jobs are threatened, and I'll tell everyone after the Council passes the Second Reading of the Bill...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:00am I was in my office. The Crowbar-Level Team joined me, and we started the meeting by watching Priya's broadcast:

"This is Priya Ajmani, Five-Alive News in the Morning!" shouted the beautiful Indian reporterette from in front of the State Office Building. "Five-Alive News has learned that the Town & County Council has authorized a restructuring of their leadership. The legal team for Robert Brownlee is going to Court this morning, and will file papers demanding the Court require the Council to fill the vacant spot so that Police Commander Robert Brownlee gets his job with the Police Force back!"

Everyone groaned as Priya turned to her guests: Thomas P. Cook and Robert Brownlee. "Commander Brownlee, why isn't the Council following the law and giving you your job with the Police back?"

"Priya, it is obvious that the corruption within the Police Force starts at the top, with Chief Moynahan and Commander Troy." said Brownlee, who looked gaunt on camera. "They're the ones illegally resisting my return to the Police Force, and their corruption will be overturned by the Courts."

"Councilman Cook," said Priya, "will the Council do the right thing and restructure the Police so that Commander Brownlee returns to the Force?"

"Priya," said Cook, "I'm doing what I can, but it's an uphill battle to force the rest of the Council to stop violating the law with regard to Commander Brownlee. We're just going to have to ask the Courts to make things right for us." Commander Della Harlow came into my office, scowling at Cook's words.

Priya finished up, saying: "KSTD has contacted the TCPD Press Relations Office, and we have received no reply to our requests for comment. This is Priya Ajmani, bringing you the news you have a right to know!"

"She called the number to the Press Relations Office." said Della. "Of course we have no one in there now, as Scott Peterson is working for the Sheriff now."

"Commander Harlow, if you will have Captain Aaron have Peterson's phone forward all calls to the Duty Desk, so they can transfer those calls to you or me or someone authorized to speak for this Department, that will solve that little problem." I said. "Priya's playing dirty pool again."

"She's not the only one, sir." said Cindy. "They're trying to force Brownlee back into the TCPD."

"I just don't get that." said Wes 'Coldiron' Masters. "It should be obvious that Brownlee is not wanted back here, that his return crushes our Officers' morale. Don't the Council Members know that?"

"Yes, they do." I said. "And in fairness, it's not the majority of the Council, but two Haters who seem willing to do all they can to fuck us up. They want us demoralized. And you get just one guess as to who those two are."

"The Usual Suspects." Cindy replied. "Cook and Carnes."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay," I said as we continued the 'C-Level' meeting some minutes later, discussing the Wargrave Estate invasion, "Sergeant Irwin reported that they found some evidence of people recently being at the Myers home. They called in a larger team and swept the house, but found no perps there. I think we missed them by the hairs of their chinny-chin-chins. So, do we know anything about Cook's staff?"

"Yes sir." said Teresa. "The Wargrave Estate would seem like too much house for a bachelor like Councilman Cook, but he often has dinner parties there. And sometimes he has parties that might be something your friends of the Libertines or Hedonists would be accused of having."

"Orgies." I said, shocking Lt. Masters.

"Yes sir." said Teresa. "Swing parties, sometimes a Gentlemen's Evening, with poker parties and prostitutes present. All the fun stuff this Town seems to have more than its fair share of." I loved the way 'Teresa Cunt' could be sarcastic about things.

"So," Teresa went on, "Cook will bring in chefs for those parties, and sometimes have a couple of butlers, male and female, if guests are staying overnight. Last, he has a live-in maid named Consuela, who we believe is an illegal alien, and she does the cooking if no one else is there. I suspect he beds her most nights."

This was not an Agency of the Weak-Minded, and I wondered only if Consuela was Teresa's C.I. on this, or if it was someone else on the staff. Probably Consuela... but then who let the bad guys in?

"Okay," I said. "Good information, thanks for acquiring it. Let's see, Cook's office had some minor damage to a couple of the walls in his office. Looks like the bastards started looking for the One Ring to Bind Them All, but were observed and didn't get to finish."

"Lucky for Cook that he didn't go check out that light himself rather than call us." said Masters.

"Opportunity missed, Commander." Cindy said.

"Naah," I said, "we're here to protect the rights and lives of all our citizens, good and bad, even Thomas P. Cook. I think the relevant Bible verse is Matthew 5:45."

"Sermon on the Mount." said Masters. "Where do you think they'll hit next, sir?"

"We'll have to do some thinking about that." I said. "My guess... is my second home, the Cabin."

"What?!" came a chorus.

"And after that, my wife's office." I went on. "They hit Westboro's home, then Wargrave's. I think they're after something related to past cases of ours..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 10:30am, Cindy came flying into my office, and went for the TV remote. "You need to see this." she said.

KSTD was covering a press conference. District Attorney Gil Krasney was standing on a podium in front of the A.M.E. Church, with the Rev. Joseph E. Williams and Reginald B.F. Lewis next to him.

"I am not a racist!" Krasney was yelling to the audience, which KSTD was careful not to show beyond a few people with signs. "I have supported the Black Community, and the fair application of the law for Citizens of all colors, orientations and backgrounds!"

"In addition," Krasney yelled, his voice a snarl, "my opponent Jenna Stiles is a liar! Her record of prosecutions was poor, especially in comparison to the other Assistant D.A.s in my Office, and she has nothing but specious attacks and race-baiting left to attack me with! I ask you to reject her dishonest tactics, and support me and my good civil rights record in November!"

Cindy turned off the TV. "I've seen all I can stomach." she said.

"My carpet thanks you for turning that shit off." I said. "Have you spoken to Jenna lately?"

"Yes." Cindy said. "She called and said Krasney tried to browbeat her into stopping the racial comments, which she sincerely believes are true, and that she was going 'scorched earth' on him. But it looks like he beat her to the punch. My only question is... who let him know he needed to do that?"

"I would say the Usual Suspects... the Press." I said. "They really want to gin this up for their ratings."

"It's not KSTD." said Cindy. "Priya hates his guts."

"Who's the executive producer there?" I asked. "The top guy?"

"Dan Walther." said Cindy. "He's the Acme Group's hired 'boy'... oh, I see where you're going with this... he and Krasney are friends, aren't they?"

"If memory serves me correctly." I replied.

"And it always does."

"By the way," I added, "don't assume Priya hates Krasney or is on Jenna's side in the race."

"What?" Cindy gasped. "Priya is always saying within my hearing that she hates Krasney! I'm not so sure you're right on this one, Iron Crowbar."

"Well, I don't insist on it..." I said, turning back to the television... knowing Cindy just hated it when I said that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 12:00 noon, Wednesday, October 5th, I got a call from Paulina Patterson. "The rulings are coming down." I turned on the TV to watch Bettina, who was waiting with other reporters in front of the Courthouse.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" she said as reporters started rushing around. "The State Supreme Court has ruled summarily in favor of the parents of Jeremy Moreland, and has lifted all stays enjoining them from having his respirator turned off! The Federal Courts have declared they will not pick up the case, so the way is clear to allow Jeremy to die peacefully and with dignity!"

"What's that?" Bettina said a moment later, listening to someone talk to her. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Robert Brownlee lawsuit ruling is being postponed until after the November election! However------ are you sure?... okay... wow... ladies and gentlemen, the recent injunction to force Robert Brownlee into command of the newly created Police Force Operations Division has been denied! This clears the Council to continue their plans without consideration of Brownlee. Judge Rodney K. Watts made the ruling..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The County Attorney wanted the postponement on Brownlee." said Paulina as she sat in my office thirty minutes later. "His lawyers wanted an immediate ruling, and thought they could get him in with this new structure change. Judge Watts shredded it."

"Good." I said. "Looks to me like Judge Watts is going to take the County's side against Brownlee, and will wait until after the Election to see how easy it will be to put Brownlee in the Public Health Department."

"I don't want that filthy piece of crap in charge of my Public Health." said Paulina with some passion in her voice.

"He won't be." I said. "He won't take the job. He's all-in on getting back in the TCPD, God only knows why. By the way, what are you hearing about the race for Westboro's seat?"

"Only that it's probably going to be close between Michaels and Peterson." Paulina said. "Most people in City Hall are already planning for a run-off election three weeks after the General. So, who's handling security at the Hospital?"

"Campus Police." I said. "State Troopers are being brought in, and the Sheriff is going to have a contingency there, as well."

"Very sad for Jeremy." said Paulina. "But maybe they'll let him die in peace now."

Part 6 - The Quick and the Dead

Jeremy's mother kissed his forehead, tears streaming down her cheeks as she said goodbye to her son for the last time. Then his fiancée Stella tearfully kissed his cheek. One of her friends, who had not been in the Alternative Theater play, helped her as she walked away sobbing.

The minister prayed for Jeremy's eternal soul and for his family. Jeremy's father gave Dr. Morgan the signal, and Dr. Morgan shut down the respirator and pacemaker keeping Jeremy in existence...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A near-war with the SBI was narrowly averted when Judge Watts ordered that Martha the M.E. would perform the autopsy, but at the State Crime Lab. The SBI had wanted their own medical examiner, but Lt. Tanya Perlman had objected, stating that an 'independent' and 'trustworthy' M.E. was needed. Needless to say, this caused much hatred for Lt. Perlman within the SBI ranks.

Lt. Perlman was an observer, and had Crime Lab technicians ready to take charge of each piece of evidence. SBI Agents, including Deputy Director Robert Gaston, were also watching... as was I, Your Iron Crowbar. The tension was palpable.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Still Wednesday, October 5th. I came to Tanya's office at 3:00pm at her request. Also there were Sheriff Daniel Allgood, FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone, the State Attorney, who was named Glenn Alberts, and SBI Agents Fischer and Crenshaw.

"Martha is still finishing things up and collecting samples," Tanya said, "but she expedited the examination of Jeremy's brain. While the blow to the head severely damaged him and probably would've blinded him at the very least, she found damage to the nerves in the brain, in the cerebellum, and the brain stem that she thinks was caused by a potent neurotoxin. She said the nearest example she can think of is cobra venom, but she doesn't think it's an actual cobra bite, and she's running tests."

"Did she find any injection marks on Jeremy?" asked Carter Fischer.

"Martha didn't," Tanya replied, "because Jeremy's body was on autopilot and would've healed over a small syringe injection. However, there was an injection just below the wound where Jeremy was hit, and a photograph of it was taken when Jeremy was first brought to the Hospital. The Campus Police Officer that took the photo thought medics had done it for some reason, but we now have affidavits from all people at the scene that none of them gave Jeremy an injection near his head."

"What does this mean?" asked the State Attorney, Glenn Alberts. He was becoming overweight and had wavy brownish-auburn hair. If Cindy were here, she would be mentioning the 'smarmy-vibe' in spades. "Did the tire iron blow kill the boy, or not?"

"It is likely that the blow did kill Jeremy." said Tanya. "But it is not 100% certain, in Martha's estimation... until she knows more about the drug that was injected into him."

"I guess we better go talk to Mr. Ken and see if he injected Jeremy with something." said Agent Crenshaw.

"Before you do," I said, "I'd suggest waiting for the test results to come back. Once you ask Ken, in front of his lawyer, about a drug injection, then 'reasonable doubt' is going to hit the fan and splatter all over the place." Crenshaw and Fischer nodded, their faces sober.

"Okay, guys, that's it." said Tanya. "If Agent Muscone and Commander Troy would stay, I'd appreciate it. The rest of you can go."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Once we were alone with Tanya, she said "I called you guys in to talk about this venom drug business. Martha told me explicitly that she was mentioning cobra venom to give a general frame of reference, but that it was definitely not cobra venom. She thinks it's a synthesized drug. If stuff like that is going around, you guys might want to start looking into it."

"I'll notify the Bureau." said Muscone. "But exactly what should I tell them?"

"Just to be alert for any underworld talk about synthesized nerve agents." I said. "I don't think this is Sarin or VX, but it might be something somebody made, and somehow found Jeremy in about the fifteen seconds after Ken hit him and before the Campus Police arrived to find him."

"That was actually 43 seconds." said Tanya. "Your mother made me check."

"My mother knows what's going on here, doesn't she?" I asked, very sure.

"You'll have to ask her." Tanya said... and then her eyes began to sparkle as she said "I now know where your penchant for not telling subordinates about things came from: it was inherited."

A red crowbar was waved in Tanya's general direction.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We're fucked." said Paulina Patterson.

"In a good or bad way?" I asked. She and I were in my office, with Cindy on the sofa.

"Bad." Paulina said. "Ken's lawyer already has heard about the autopsy results, and he's told Ken as well as the State Attorney that there will be no plea deals."

"So only charge him with aggravated assault." I said. "He's confessed to that."

"Lynch, his lawyer, is making a motion to have the confession thrown out." Paulina said. "He is saying that his client made that confession under the duress of being charged with murder. Since there is, quote, 'reasonable doubt', unquote, about that, Lynch is going for the whole enchilada to get the charges dropped. Oh, he also mentioned that you, Don, were bullying Ken, which added to the duress that led to the confession."

"Fer cryin' out loud------- oh." I said. "Of course. I see what's going on now."

"What's that?" asked Cindy.

"Let me ask you: who told Lynch about the autopsy report... which has not been published yet?"

"Could've been anyone." said Paulina.

"No, it could not have been." I replied. "Martha told only Tanya some of the things about her findings. Only Tanya. Tanya told only a few of us in the room."

"Crenshaw or Fischer?" asked Cindy.

"I have 'reasonable doubt' that it was them." I said. "Lewis has already showered Ferrell with praise for 'solving' this crime. Would Crenshaw and Fischer risk their careers... and maybe their lives... by making Lewis and Ferrell look bad?"

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • The Usual Suspects Ch. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 16 milliseconds