• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Celebrities & Fan Fiction
  • /
  • Surefoot 03: Field Trip Ch. 04

Surefoot 03: Field Trip Ch. 04

12

Planet Luntanu, Alpha Squad Base Camp:

Eydiir pushed the girl out of the way and flung her kligat at a large, four-legged creature with a tusk-flanked muzzle, striking one of the tusks and bouncing off as the creature invaded the campsite, emitting a terrible bellow.

Sasha grabbed a large branch from the ground and raised it. "Everybody get out of the way!"

The creature was like a Terran warthog or Klingon targ, waist-high and muscular and shaggy and now stampeding around camp, knocking over the rack with the drying uniforms and sending them into the fire, slamming into units and chairs and threatening to do the same to the Away team - until Neraxis stunned it with her phaser. It went down on its side, but was still breathing, albeit rapidly. It also stank, as did most every animal on this planet, it seemed.

"Is everyone all right?" Sasha asked.

"Better than Tusky here," Giles quipped, suddenly cursing. "Look! Your uniforms!"

All turned to see the three uniforms now smouldering on the fire, and moved to rescue them, The material was meant to be fireproof - but it was now charred in places.

Sasha stood there, feeling her temper fray. She began pacing, wincing as her bare feet stepped on sharp stones. Now she swore loudly. "That is it! I am done! This was supposed to be an adventure for us! We were gonna win the competition! Now look at us! I have us waste time and space bringing down unnecessary equipment! Giles damages an alien building! Kit gets sick on bugs! I eat monkey crap! And now a pig invades our camp and burns our uniforms!"

She looked at Giles. "You and Neraxis do a sweep of the immediate area, then work out a security plan to keep any more animals from coming in here! Eydiir, you and Kit check out the animal, make sure it's okay! Jonas, get that fakakta heater turned into a cooler! And I'll have all of you know for the record that later on I'm going over to Jared Miro's tent and spend the evening salvaging this terrible experience and lose my virginity! Assuming that any lingering stink of monkey crap on me doesn't put him off!"

She stormed off to her own shelter and entered, collapsing onto her stomach on the top of her sleeping bag, running her fingers through her hair and feeling like seven shades of bad.

She wanted to cry. She had such high hopes for her first real Away Mission! Now they're sitting around in the heat and bugs with unnecessary equipment and crap food and the wildlife are attacking them and her secret boyfriend was outing their relationship to all and sundry, risking their positions- and then she does the same to her own squad, friends that she just yelled at. She hoped for another Tusky to charge through and trample all over her.

She grabbed her PADD and began collating the data and compiling her report. They had gathered and catalogued a great deal of data, despite all their setbacks, mistakes and misadventures. The shelter was small, waist-high, and the heat within was stifling, oppressive, and she really hoped that Jonas could make them a cooling unit. Otherwise, they might have to work up a rota for the Squad to sleep in the shuttle.

Not her, though. She didn't deserve it, treating them all like dirt the way she did. She tried to listen to them, but the soundproofed material of her shelter wouldn't let her her anything distinct.

Sweat was beading down her back and the backs of her legs, but she ignored it.

She didn't ignore the tap on the shelter frame from outside, however. "What?"

The shelter door was pulled open, and Giles half-knelt there. "Hi. Can I come in?"

Sasha had been lying there, with only the backlight from her PADD to illuminate her. Now she reached up to switch on the light on the supporting bar holding up the circular roof of the shelter. "Were you the one they chose to come in here and assassinate me?"

"We drew lots." He crawled in, leaving the shelter flap door open to let in some air as he sat cross-legged. "Sorry to bother you, but I thought as second in command I should report in. Jonas thinks he'll have us a cooler in an hour or so. Neraxis and I have worked out something... unusual... to protect our camp from any further intruders. And Eydiir and Kit have examined Tusky, and can wake him up with a stimulant."

"Thanks." Sasha grunted, reaching for one of the water bottles. "I was an ass out there to everyone."

"Agreed. That's usually my job."

"And then I'm boasting about going off to have sex with Jared."

"To be fair, that's pretty boastworthy. I know I was like that, with my first when I was fifteen. Couldn't stop telling everyone."

She drank again. "Giles... are you really a virgin?"

He didn't answer.

"I wasn't asking to make fun of you, it's none of my-"

"Yes," he admitted, breathing out, all his swagger gone. "Yes, I am. I mean, there have been times when I could have been with a girl or two, of course. Lots of girls were willing... I think..." He glanced out at the camp once. "But then I say too much and ruin my chances. I can talk a good game. I... I just don't know when to shut up. I probably try too hard."

She nodded. "I've been too busy the last couple of years to think about it... much... now, it feels like it's another qualification I have to make to get into adulthood." She smiled at him. "You don't mind if I get there first, do you?"

He smiled back. "You're the Squad Leader."

She sighed, staring out the shelter door. "Yes, I am. And I'd better start earning my keep."

In the camp, everyone was crowded around the still-unmoving animal, but then rose as Sasha and Giles approached, Sasha declaring, "I'll keep this short: I've been a jerk to all of you, and I'm sorry." She nodded to Eydiir. "Let's get this smelly bastard out of here."

The Capellan nodded, producing a hypospray. indicating the animal. "I suggest everyone back off and give it space. I have no desire to repair puncture wounds from those tusks."

They did so, as Eydiir prepared a hypospray and returned to the pig-thing, getting just close enough to press the business end of the spray into its hindquarters, before joining the others. Tusky jolted, like it had just been disturbed from a nap, before finally rising, looking a little wobbly as it staggered about. Sasha noticed that Neraxis and Giles had phasers drawn, but pointed to the ground before them: good.

They watched silently as Tusky seemed to be surveying the area, before moving over to the remains of their replicated rations, stuck its snout into one half-finished meal - then promptly bolted out the far end of the clearing with a noise of disgust.

"I don't blame you," Sasha called after it. "Thank you, Eydiir. You too, Kit."

Now Neraxis spoke up. "And we've come up with a solution to the wildlife problem. Tusky apparently is the Shriekers' main predator here, so they'll stay away from their territory. And territory is universally marked with urine."

"You want to invite Tusky back to spray around the area for us?"

"No need," Eydiir explained, "Our own urine has sufficient hormones to act as an effective substitute for the predator's. It'll keep both the Shriekers and the other Tuskies away."

Sasha nodded. "A simple and non-lethal approach. Good work."

"We'll all have to pitch in and pee out in the open," Neraxis pointed out, heading towards the edge of the campsite. "Hope no one's bladder shy."

"If we are, we'll be cured of it soon enough." Sasha smiled. "Thank you. All of you." She looked back in the direction of the other camp, and Jared. The others were right; no one on the Surefoot would know... She considered walking away to have a discreet conversation, but instead just slapped her combadge. "Private Message: Squad Leader Hrelle to Squad Leader Miro."

A second later, the familiar voice made her smile, and her heart race. "Hello, Sweetness."

Sasha felt herself blush. "I was wondering... I was wondering if that invitation to visit your shelter later was still open?"

There was a pause, and for a brief heartbeat she feared Jared would change her mind. But then the Argelian's voice returned. "Absolutely, lover. I should warn you, though, I sleep in the nude. And so will you."

Sasha felt herself blush, ignoring the looks from her Squad. "You're outrageous. How about 2100 Hours? It'll give us a chance to eat and work on our reports beforehand?"

"Fine, Miss Professional. But I swear if you bring up work while you're with me, you'll be getting a spanking. Jared out."

Sasha's heart was racing now, and she couldn't get the stupid grin off her face as she helped the others straighten up and store the collected samples.

*

USS Surefoot, Deck 1, Bridge:

Commander T'Varik leaned back in her chair, having detected a private transmission between the two Squad Leaders; after a moment's decryption, she listened to its contents. Her brow furrowed, and she only half-monitored the rest of the incoming data on the stations she had set up to secretly observe the progress of the three cadet squads.

She swivelled her chair around to see Captain Hrelle conversing with Lt Velkovsky at the helm. "Captain, would you please monitor my stations for any possible emergencies, while I have a word with the Counselor?"

He looked up at her. "Of course. Is there anything I can help with?"

She considered it, given that it involved his stepdaughter. However, it was that same factor that made her reply, "Not at this time. That may change, however. If you will excuse me?"

He waved her off. She rose and departed without further preamble.

*

She found Kami in the dining hall, eagerly devouring a Caitian dish of fried meats and minimal vegetables. "Counselor, may I disturb you?"

She looked up from her plate. "You're not having any of this."

"I will contain my disappointment. I am seeking your counsel on a matter involving the cadets."

Kami stopped eating and straightened up. "Well, it's quiet here, but if you want to discuss this in my office-"

"This will be suitable." The Vulcan took the seat opposite her, her voice low and confidential in tone. "As you are aware, I have been monitoring the cadets planetside. During this time, I have discovered that Ms Hrelle and Mr Miro are romantically involved. I am not certain when this commenced, or the extent of the relationship, but I am certain that clandestine coitus has been scheduled for 2100 Hours tonight."

Kami smiled. "You Vulcans are such romantics."

T'Varik raised an eyebrow. "Were you aware of this relationship?"

"I... suspected."

"But you chose to not warn them of the dangers?"

"What dangers? All cadets have birth control implants and are in good health."

"I should not need to remind you of Starfleet Academy Regulation 121: 'Cadets before their fourth year of study are forbidden from engaging in sexual activity of any kind, either with other cadets, Academy staff or with civilians, regardless of the age of said cadets, their legal or marital status.'"

Kami extended the claw on her forefinger and picked at her teeth. "I know. That was a dealbreaker for my cub."

"'Dealbreaker'?"

"An issue or condition with an individual, group or organisation that you can't ignore, one that ultimately outweighs any redeeming qualities they might otherwise have. For you, for instance, a dealbreaker with a potential suitor might be if he forced you to eat meat-"

"She."

"Excuse me?"

"The proper personal pronoun for describing a potential suitor for me would be 'she'. I prefer women."

"Hmm, guess I won't be setting you up with my brother. Anyway, for my cub, who really, really enjoys sex, he'd sooner be a pilot in a private shipping firm and bed the females as and when he likes." She smiled. "He has no regrets."

"Regulation 121 is a logical and necessary rule. It protects underclassmen from possible exploitation by more experienced individuals-"

"Balls."

"-And allows them to stay focused on their academic studies by eliminating distractions."

"Balls."

"Repeatedly responding with the Terran slang for testicles does not validate your opinion."

"We already have regulations in place to protect underclassmen from exploitation. And 121 doesn't deactivate a person's sex drive. If the Academy ever added a regulation prohibiting masturbation, the poor kids would be exploding all over the place."

"Nevertheless, the regulation is explicit. My next course of action is clear."

Kami tilted a head, smiling. "I think that if that were the case, you wouldn't have come to me for counsel."

T'Varik paused, silently acceding the point. "I must admit a... personal bias, given one of the individuals involved."

"I'm guessing you don't mean Jared?"

"Jared Miro is gifted and personable, if overly concerned with his own sensual appetites, as is typical for his culture. I have no feelings of either a positive or negative nature for him. However, I found Sasha to be... intriguing, long before I met her stepfather. Indeed, before it was known that the Captain was alive, and innocent of the charges levelled against him..."

*

Starfleet Academy, Two Years Ago:

Commander T'Varik had been sitting in the rear of the classroom, silently evaluating Lt. McKinley, the new Federation History instructor for the freshmen cadets on their first day at class, when there had been an unexpected visitor, a Starfleet officer of commander whom T'Varik did not recognise. "Sorry to interrupt, Lieutenant, I'll only be a minute."

McKinley, a young, fresh-faced human, glanced at the back of the class in T'Varik's direction, before returning to the intruder. "Excuse me, Sir, but who are you?"

"Commander Matthew Arrington, Starfleet Intelligence. I'm here on official business, and I'll only be a minute. Okay? Good." The older man, tall and pale and balding and gimlet-eyed, didn't wait for a response from the instructor, looking out at the classroom of new cadets and barking, "Where's Cadet Sasha Eismann?"

The name sparked murmurs and looks among the cadets, and a raised eyebrow from T'Varik. She was aware of the cadet, remembering the incident years before on Station Salem Four, when the then-child had managed to save her teacher and class during the Bel-Zon raid that had killed her mother among others, receiving the Starfleet Medal of Commendation for exceptional valour, the youngest recipient of the medal to date.

T'Varik was also aware that her stepfather, Captain Esek Hrelle, remained at large, having been found guilty of aiding and abetting the criminal gang in the raid on the station, as well as the deaths of his crew on the border vessel USS Furyk. However, that fact did not prevent the girl from receiving an exceptional number of letters of recommendation from Starfleet officers, crew and noted civilian personnel years later, when she applied for a position at Starfleet Academy.

Among the class, a short blonde human with a mature figure rose, her voice clear as she announced, "Cadet Sasha Eismann, reporting as order, Sir!"

T'Varik watched the reaction on Arrington's face to the girl's response - it reminded her of some of the some of the more cruel upperclassmen who still mistakenly believed it was an Academy tradition to harass the younger plebes. He barked again, "Front and centre, Cadet! Now!"

Eismann complied, quickly walking between the columns of desks to stand at attention in front of her class and the Commander. Arrington stood a head taller than her, and drew closer, giving her an intimidating glare that made T'Varik distinctly uncomfortable. The man kept scowling at the sixteen-year-old, who impressively stayed fully at attention with no reaction, but he kept his voice raised for the benefit of the captive audience. "Proud, are we? Standing there in a cadet's uniform you don't deserve to wear? Do your teachers and friends know who your stepfather was?"

Near the podium, Lt. McKinley spoke up again, "Excuse me, Commander, with all due respect-"

Arrington never even looked at him. "Just stay put, son, this won't take long." He drew even closer, until he was practically in Cadet Eismann's face, as if trying to make her shake, to involuntarily back away, though she remained admirably still as he continued loudly, "You may have sneaked in here under the name Eismann, but I know that your stepfather was the criminal traitor, Esek Hrelle!"

He paused to let the revelation sink in among the cadets, who murmured and whispered even more loudly than before, while the instructor paled. T'Varik, however, was inwardly appalled that the man would reveal confidential information like that in public. And she was concerned that Lt. McKinley was doing nothing to try and regain control over his classroom.

Arrington continued. "And his influence is evident in you. You painted yourself out to be some hero at Salem Four, taking advantage of the terrible crimes your stepfather committed, including the death of your own mother, to get yourself a place here. And now you have the gall to stand there in that uniform? You're not fit to be here! And if you had any sense, you'd resign and crawl off somewhere, because I promise you, if you stay, you'll live to regret it!"

And now T'Varik understood the reason for his visit; amidst the court martial in absentia for Captain Hrelle's action, Arrington's own office had received substantial criticism for their lack of intelligence in warning about the Bel-Zon's threat, and it was implied at the time that their continued attacks on Hrelle was an attempt to deflect that criticism. The Vulcan was frankly astonished that he would come here to try an intimidate a young person in such a petty fashion.

She had been waiting for McKinley to finally intervene, but when it became apparent that the younger instructor was too intimidated by the intruder to do so, T'Varik began to rise and do so herself. However, Cadet Eismann, red-faced and almost shaking, spoke up. "Permission to speak freely, Sir?"

"Oh, go right ahead, Cadet." He looked pleased, as if waiting for a challenge.

He shouldn't have been. T'Varik stood still as she saw the change in the young woman's stance and expression, the face tight with rage, the angry finger rising up to point in the man's face as she snarled loudly and proudly, "I couldn't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock what you have to say about my stepfather! Your opinion of him isn't worth the shit under my boots! There isn't a quantum microscope in the Galaxy powerful enough to measure how little of a fuck I give about the opinion of a miserable, cowardly little man who has never commanded, never served on a starship, but spends his time skulking around the back corridors of Starfleet like some anal parasite, feeding off the shit that comes his way!"

Gasps of shock ran through the assembled group, and if T'Varik did not possess the emotional control of a Vulcan she would have reacted in the same way. So she stood there and witnessed the remarkable reversal of personality and status, which had been as profound as it had been immediate.

And it was Arrington who was suddenly looking intimidated, literally stepping back as the first-year cadet, twenty years younger and a head shorter than Arrington, was stepping forward, pressing her verbal assault. "You and your pathetic office isn't fit to lick Captain Hrelle's tail, let alone stand in judgement of him without all the facts! Without giving him due process, without giving him the presumption of innocence, or taking his long and distinguished career serving the Federation into account!"

Her voice grew until it filled the classroom. "And you have the GALL to come in here and bring my mother into this? A woman who's worth a hundred of you and every member of your miserable fucking family? You shameless fakakta little prick! Let me tell you something, shithead, if you think you can come along here and try to scare me off, then you can KISS MY FURRY ASS!"

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Celebrities & Fan Fiction
  • /
  • Surefoot 03: Field Trip Ch. 04

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds