• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Celebrities & Fan Fiction
  • /
  • Surefoot 05: Secrets & Lies Ch. 02

Surefoot 05: Secrets & Lies Ch. 02

1234

USS Surefoot, Deck 1, Captain's Quarters, 1800 Hours:

Captain Hrelle reached down into his bowl and drew out a dark purple, bulbous fruit sprinkled with quinoa. "What in the Seven Hells is this thing?"

Sitting across from him, Kami was leaning back in her own chair, cradling a bowl of her own. "Betazoid uttaberries. If you don't like them, don't eat them, there are plenty of other different types of fruits in there."

He dropped it back into his bowl, and then looked at hers, sniffing. "You don't have to have the same as me, just to be supportive. You could have got some grilled shuris sticks."

"Oh? So you could try and charm some of them off me? Of all the things you could charm off of me-"

"You're not really enjoying this rabbit food, are you?"

She smirked. "I admit it's an acquired taste, but it's healthier than a purely carnivorous diet. You know, there's a reason Caitians end up with more heart-related problems than they should, even in this day and age." She regarded him. "And I want you to be around for a long, long time. You've got a good example to set for future generations."

He looked back at her. And for the first time since Dr Ling put him on this stupid diet, he began to seriously consider giving in to the inevitable.

Then the monitor chimed, and the voice of Lt. Abed from the bridge filled the room. "Captain, sorry to bother you, but I have a visual call from Captain Vera Wallachek of the Beholder."

Hrelle looked to Kami again before setting aside his breakfast and sitting up. "Put her through, Lieutenant."

Seconds later, the table monitor lit up with the image of a middle-aged woman with copper-red hair, a round freckled face and pert nose. She smiled. "Captain Hrelle? Captain Wallachek here."

"Morning, Captain, it's a pleasure to put a face and voice to the name. We'll be there in a few hours. What can I do for you?"

Now she looked a little embarrassed. "Firstly, you have to call me Vera. Secondly, you have to let me apologise for this inconvenience. We have a new crewmember who's barely started shaving, who misread some environmental readings while the rest of us were off-duty, and sent out that distress signal."

Hrelle grunted. "We have a few onboard who might have done the same too under the wrong circumstances, Vera, there's no need to apologise. And please, call me Esek."

The woman smiled. "Don't mind if I do. I've heard a lot about you. It's going to be a pleasure to meet you in person."

"Thank you; I hope I live up to whatever you've heard. You do understand why we still have to come along and do a quick check, don't you?"

"Well, Esek, I won't pretend that I'd rather be continuing on my way to Qullik with our shipment and make our bonuses for an early arrival-"

"We'll try to minimise the disruption, Vera. We have some cadets we'd like to put through their paces, running a few inspection sweeps and so forth. Just an hour or two, tops."

Wallachek leaned forward, resting her chin on her hand. "Two hours? Oh, you'd better keep me properly distracted all that time, Esek, or I'll be chewing the bulkhead."

Hrelle kept facing the screen, but from the corner of his eye caught the amused expression on Kami's face, before he finally responded. "Well, how about a beach party?"

"Excuse me?"

"We've just had installed one of the new holodecks, it's small and primarily for cadet training, but it's still good for recreation. You and your crew can come over for some sun and snacks? A little thank you for allowing us to delay you?"

Vera leaned back, crossing her arms over her chest. "My crew, huh? I was hoping for something a little more... personal... for us. But my crew has been hauling ass almost non-stop for the last three months. I suppose they could do with a bit of a break."

"Fine. We'll be there at 2000 Hours, and the party will start at 2100. Bring your swimsuit."

Vera grinned. "I never wear one. Wallachek out."

The screen darkened, and Hrelle looked to Kami. "What? Was that inappropriate?"

The Caitian female lifted up her spoon again. "Not at all. But I have a feeling Captain Wallachek was expecting less Beach Party and more Bump and Grind. Maybe your reputation as a horncat has exceeded you?"

"Reputation? I don't have a reputation!"

But he felt himself flush. And it must have shown on him, because Kami was chuckling now.

*

Deck 3, Shuttlebay:

Lt. Velkovsky was checking her PADD as she ran through the pre-flight checklists on the three Surefoot shuttles, with Flight Specialists Giles Arrington, Rina Chaudry and Wileves Drill in tow. "The Norkova-class freighter's hangar bay is large, as they're usually taking on Type-9 cargo shuttles. It also has a fly-through design, so don't go in too hard and too quick or you'll end up out the other end."

Beside Giles, Drill, a Bolian female who looked to him like Neraxis' younger sister (assuming that wasn't racist) elbowed him. "Good advice at any time, huh, Giles? You leave Sasha happy while you were away?"

He blushed and ignored her, allowing Chaudry to chide her. "There's no need to be rude, Wileves. There's more than enough of that going around."

"Jealous because Jared hasn't shown any interest in you, Rina?"

"He may be my Squad Leader, but that doesn't mean I have to approve of his actions and attitude. First Sasha, then Thykrill, Soolamea, Yeager-"

"He never got anywhere with Sasha," Giles assured her, hating the conversation but not able to just leave the accusation unanswered. Wasn't there anything else to talk about onboard?

"I believe you," Drill added. "I think he's all talk. Soolamea says she didn't let him get anywhere in her action-"

"Is this work boring you three?" Velkovsky asked. "Because you can always sign up for the Merchant Fleet. Hell, you can probably hop onto the Beholder before they leave."

The cadets went silent - and Giles frowned with thought. Velkovsky was right; the Merchant Fleet was amazingly flexible with their standards and practices when compared with Starfleet. If he wanted, he could probably get himself a berth onboard the Beholder - or at least, get himself passage to a civilian station where he could get a berth with another ship. He certainly had the qualifications and experience.

He could start a new life, out here, away from his family and their nagging. Away from hurting Sasha again. Away from the guilt over deceiving Captain Hrelle.

It was more tempting than he expected.

*

Deck 1, Briefing Room, 1930 Hours:

Sasha stood on one end of the line, having made sure that Gamma Squad's leader, the Vulcan male Falok, was between her and Beta Squad's Jared Miro, from the moment they entered the room. But from then she stayed focused on what the senior officers were saying, determined to get back on track and make up for her earlier aberrant behaviour.

"The Nokova-class freighter is a modular design," Captain Hrelle explained, as the related images appeared on the screen behind him. "With the modules customised for regular cargo, passengers, liquids and so forth, depending on their job; The modules can be switched out at various ports depending on the type of mission. The Beholder is currently transporting deuterium in its three modules to the Qullik mining facility. The forward living sections and the aft engineering sections are connected by catwalks that run around the modules."

"I have compiled individual assignments for each of the three squads," T'Varik continued. "As we do not wish to delay the Beholder any longer than necessary. The three squads will fly over in each of the Surefoot's shuttles and perform standard docking manoeuvres in the freighter's substantial hangar bay. From there, the squads will reorganise, based on the needs of your assignments.

Squad Leader Hrelle, you will supervise the Engineering Specialists with the safety inspections, focusing on the deuterium storage tanks in the midsection, but do not neglect the main engineering systems. Private companies have a reputation for offering a bare minimum of maintenance on such systems, and if necessary, you can make recommendations as to parts we might replicate on their behalf before their departure.

Squad Leader Falok, you will supervise the Medical Specialists with the health checks of the Beholder crew before they beam over to attend a function hosted by Captain Hrelle. A member of Captain Wallachek's crew is a carrier of Type-D Synthococcus Novae, so ensure the inoculations for the rest of her crew are up to date; the Science Specialists will assist.

Squad Leader Miro, you will supervise the Security Specialists in running sweeps for contraband and other unauthorised items." She paused and added. "It is inevitable that you may find among civilian crew items of... questionable legality. I advise you not to be too strident in your confiscation of the odd bottle of Romulan ale or cordafin stimulants."

"You are expected to be onboard the Beholder by 2010 Hours," Hrelle finished, "And hopefully done by 2200 Hours. Then you can come back and enjoy the beach party on the holodeck. Dismissed."

Sasha led the Squad Leaders out of the room, prepared to proceed straight to the hangar bay and summon Alpha Squad, and maybe even have a quiet word with Giles-

"Sasha," came a familiar, unwelcome voice from behind.

She never stopped walking. "I'm busy, Jared. So are you."

Jared caught up with her and grabbed her forearm. "Wait-"

She froze, glaring. "Let go of me."

The Argelian frowned. "You can't keep this up, girl-"

She turned to a bemused-looking Falok. "Mr Falok, you are a witness: Mr Miro put his hands on me, I told him to release me, he has refused. If he continues to hold onto me, I will be lodging formal charges of physical assault against him. Will you corroborate my account?"

"I will." The Vulcan looked at Miro. "I would strongly advise that you do as you are asked."

Miro hesitated - but then released Sasha. "I don't mean you any harm-"

"You're telling people we slept together when we didn't. That's pretty harmful."

"Is this true?" Falok asked of him.

Miro smirked - though he was flushed. "Some human women get emotionally overwhelmed when a relationship breaks down, Falok, and would rather deny reality than face it."

Sasha glared at him. "I'm going to say this once, Jared: stop lying about me. If you don't, you'll regret it."

Miro leered. "Be careful there, Sasha, or I'll be making formal charges against you for making threats against me, and poor Falok will have to corroborate my account." He left the other two Squad Leaders in the corridor.

Sasha forced herself to calm down. "Thank you for your support, Falok. And please accept my apologies for getting you involved in the first place."

"No apologies are required, Sasha. I must admit finding Mr Miro's attitude towards you most perplexing. He appears to continue to pursue you, when his attitude and dialogue suggests he can obtain satisfaction from any number of willing female companions."

"That's exactly it. I don't think he's used to being turned down."

Falok raised an eyebrow. "That is a reasonable assumption. Will you be lodging a formal complaint against him regarding what just occurred?"

She breathed in before replying. "I'll wait until he does something worse. Which is starting to feel like an inevitability."

*

Hrelle and T'Varik remained in the briefing room, looking at another display, one meant for their eyes only, as T'Varik spoke. "The communicator is indeed a sophisticated device, far beyond any conventional Starfleet equipment, providing real-time encrypted subspace communication over an indeterminate number of light years."

Hrelle let his eyes glaze over the schematics. "But it's definitely Starfleet issue?"

"Chief Grev and Lt. Abed made a thorough examination of the components and energy signature. There is also a history file detailing previous communications."

"Has Giles sent anything?"

"No. There has been only one transmission, received from Beta Aquilae."

"Where Admiral William Arrington - Giles' father - is based."

"Indeed."

"And Grev and Abed know to keep this under wraps for now?"

"They do. I have also kept the source of the communicator a secret, and have returned it to its hiding place." She paused, and then asked, "Do you intend to continue your present tactic of not confronting the cadet?"

"I have faith that he'll come to me."

"Faith is hardly a substantial foundation, Captain."

He shrugged. "Sometimes it's all we have."

*

Deck 3, Shuttlebay:

Eydiir rested her hand on the medical kit slung under one arm as she strode up to Jonas and Neraxis. "Have you seen Sasha and Giles?"

"No, but I'm sure they're on their way," Jonas replied, nodding to some of the other cadets milling about.

"In the meantime," Neraxis added, indicating Kitirik, who was uncharacteristically standing apart from everyone else, pretending to be particularly interested in his science tricorder. "Maybe you can shake Kit out of his funk? We're not getting through to him."

"Funk?"

"Yeah," Jonas elaborated. "He's been withdrawn since Sasha snapped at him in our quarters for asking too many questions. He keeps insisting that there's nothing wrong, but he doesn't have much of a pokerface."

The Capellan straightened up and proceeded towards the errant squad member without another word. "Kit?"

The Qarari turned to her, round red eyes with vertical pupils narrowing, as his mottled green skin flushed. "Friend Eydiir." Then he returned to focus on his tricorder display.

"Stop this."

"I do not comprehend your meaning."

Eydiir reached out and snapped shut the tricorder display lid, making him look back at her. "You're a Seeker. You're also a member of Starfleet. Both identities demand Truth Above All. You're upset over the incident in our quarters, yes?"

Kit lowered his arms, his skin darkening further. "I talk too much. I ask too many questions. I annoy and embarrass my friends. I must stop this."

"No. You mustn't. While there may be times when it is not always... appropriate to talk about something, this desire of yours to know is a part of who you are. And it's an admirable, and a precious quality. Your friends both accept and embrace this, and we wouldn't want you to change." Eydiir drew closer to him, dropping her voice to a confidential whisper. "Kit, you have already spent far too much time being something you know you were never meant to be."

Kit's nostrils flared, his eyes darting around him. "You- You know? Who told you?"

"The information about yourself was passed to me as part of my medical responsibilities to the squad; I have of course kept it confidential. But I speak of it to you now: you have been brave and wise enough to finally embrace who you are. Do not give up any of yourself, for any reason."

Kit seemed to consider her words, before finally nodding. "Thank you, Friend Eydiir. Thank you."

The Capellan allowed a smile. "Now, if I know you as well as I think I do, you have the urge to hug me effusively. Hurry up and get it over with."

The Qarari looked up at her - and embraced her warmly.

Eydiir sighed. And hugged back.

"What's up?"

Both cadets turned to see Sasha with the others. Eydiir drew back from Kit. "It's nothing."

"They're engaged to be married," Neraxis quipped, looking around. "Where's Giles?"

"Right behind you." He drew up to them, nodding and smiling - though his expression became more formal on seeing Sasha. "So, have we got a mission, Squad Leader?"

Sasha seemed to have to force herself to stay professional. "We have, and I'll explain while we're on our way, Crewman."

Neraxis blew a raspberry at their attitude. "Oh, this is gonna be a fun trip."

*

Alpha Squad's shuttle passed through the atmospheric force field covering the Surefoot's opened hangar bay doors, as Giles guided the shuttle towards the Beholder, a much larger, boxier starship than their own, with a beaked forward section and an aft with three internally-mounted warp engines rather than on nacelles like Starfleet vessels, and two smaller impulse engines on the outside.

Sasha turned in the co-pilot's seat to face the rest of the squad, sitting behind her and Giles. "Neraxis, you'll be working with the other Security Specialists under Jared-"

"Well, that's gonna be a frigging joy and a half," the Bolian groused.

"Stow it. You'll be running security sweeps, contraband scans, that sort of thing. Try not to accidentally phaser him in the nuts."

"No promises."

"Eydiir and Kit, you'll be working with the other Medical and Science Specialists under Falok running health and safety checks on the crew and living quarters, and making sure their vaccinations are up to date. Once the health and safety checks are done, most of the Beholder crew will beam over for a holodeck beach party.

In the meantime I'll be leading Jonas and the other Engineering Specialists running safety checks on the deuterium tanks; once you're done, join us with your tricorders and we'll finish up that much more quickly. And maybe even get back to get some beach time."

"Sounds good to me," Neraxis, nudging Jonas. "Wait 'til you see my bikini."

Sasha turned her seat around to face forward, though she really wanted to focus on the young man beside her. "You okay?"

Giles kept his eyes on the display in front of him, occasionally looking up to the cockpit window at the freighter gradually filling up the space as they approached. "I'm fine, thanks."

"I, ah, I wanted to talk to you. About us."

His expression tightened. "Maybe after we're done on the Beholder, okay?"

She looked at him, before leaning back in her seat. "That was easier than I expected. Thought I'd have to twist your arm."

He never looked at her. "Maybe I've got things to say..."

*

SS Beholder, Shuttlebay, 2020 Hours:

The cadets gathered around their respective squad leaders, many aware of the looks they were getting from the freighter crew who were milling about, watching and commenting amongst themselves.

Jonas was recalibrating his engineering tricorder for the twelfth time, as Kit stood beside him. "Friend Jonas, is there some cultural dichotomy between Starfleet and the Merchant Service Fleet? I have heard what I assume is banter among the cadets, and the visual clues I am receiving from the Beholder crew suggests mild derision and condescension."

"To a point, I guess. Those in the Merchant Fleet tend to look on those in Starfleet as being elitist, too concerned with rules and regulations. Those in Starfleet tend to look on those in the Merchant Fleet as being borderline criminal, lax in discipline and not qualified to join up with us." He shrugged. "It's probably worse because we're just wet behind the ears cadets."

Kit paused, taking a quick check behind one of Jonas' ears, before asking, "Does it bother you?"

He looked up, smiling a little. "No. I've dealt with them all my life. They got their own way of doing things."

"Have you met anyone who left Starfleet to join them?"

Jonas and Kit turned to see Giles standing there, looking at the crewmen, Jonas answering Giles with, "Sure."

"And did they treat them okay?"

Jonas glanced at an equally bemused Kit, before replying. "I think they gave them a bit of teasing, but once you prove your worth to these guys, they soon take you in as one of them. Why?"

"Never mind." Then Giles walked off.

Nearby, Sasha, Falok and Jared were walking up to a red-headed woman in dust-brown workclothes. "So, you're the Cadet Squad Leaders?"

Sasha took the lead, holding out her hand and smiling. "Yes, Captain Wallachek. I'm Squad Leader Sasha Hrelle, this is Squad Leader Falok and Squad Leader Jared Miro."

Wallachek nodded to the two young men, but focused on Sasha. "Hrelle? Any relation to your Captain?"

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Celebrities & Fan Fiction
  • /
  • Surefoot 05: Secrets & Lies Ch. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 14 milliseconds