• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Mature
  • /
  • His Best Friend's Mom

His Best Friend's Mom

123456

"You don't have to this, Z-man. My dad will hire you back. If construction's not your thing then go to the police academy."

"I can't until I'm 19."

"That's only six months off, man. Just give yourself some time, okay? Work around here until then and after that, you can serve to your heart's content."

He knew he shouldn't bring this up, but if it would keep his best friend from joining the Army or even worse—the Marine Corps, then it was fair game.

"Your mom's still getting over losing your dad, Rick. It's barely been two years. How is she gonna handle it if you..."

"Walker, you've been my best friend since we moved here in second grade. But don't go there, okay?"

He knew how sensitive the topic was, but the thought of losing his best friend was more than he was ready to accept. And although things weren't like they were in 2008, people did still get killed in Army and the Marine Corps. And as much as Rick leaving would hurt him, that was the thing that scared him most of all.

Yes, he knew Rick's mom supported his decision. It even made sense in several ways. His father, Thomas Zander, hadn't had any life insurance and his wife had been forced to try and fend for herself and her son. She'd only ever worked part time and while finding a job was easy, finding one that paid well was nearly impossible. So she'd worked two while Rick went to school and worked construction for his best friend's dad each afternoon and on Saturdays.

Rick's mother, Taryn Zander, was just 34 and one need not be a genius to do the math. Even as a freshman, Taryn was far and away the cutest girl in their high school. She had boys sniffing around day and night until a very handsome, very determined senior named Tom charmed her into doing things she wasn't ready to do. Among them was having a baby during her sophomore year.

She'd not only gotten pregnant in high school—early in high school—but to everyone's surprise, she not only kept the baby, she ended up marrying the recent high school graduate who worked his backside off to support them. That man, was of course, Rick's late father, and like so many others in their small town, he'd worked for Walker's dad right up until the time he got so sick he could no longer work.

Lymphoma is readily treatable these days, but only if it hasn't done too much damage before being discovered. In this case, Rick's father truly believed he was just tired from working so many hours a week, and he worked a lot of hours. He took all the overtime he could get and no one could ever say he hadn't stepped up when it counted. But because he was such a workhorse, he refused to see a doctor until he collapsed on the job one day and woke up in a hospital room the following morning.

Tests were run and within 24 hours, Tom was diagnosed with Stage IV, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma or NHL. NHL makes up only 12% of all lymphomas and has a five-year survival rate of around 85%. But that percentage goes down the further the disease has progressed and his case, by the time they diagnosed him the cancer had spread to his lungs, his liver, and his spinal cord.

There was wasn't anything the doctors could do except keep him from experiencing too much pain. Both Rick and his mother kept a vigil by his bedside for the next two weeks even after he slipped into a coma four days before passing away.

Rick's best friend was Walker Emerson. Walker was not only Rick Zander's best friend, he was the guy nearly everyone wanted to claim as their best friend. Like Rick, he'd just graduated from high school, but unlike Rick who was a 'C' student, Walker was their class valedictorian. Rick had had girlfriends, but Walker had dated the two best-looking girls in their high school. Walker was a natural athlete who'd lettered in three sports, and he still found time to to do volunteer work at animal shelters because watching a dog—or any other animal—suffer tore him up.

Walker's parents had money, but Walker worked for and earned every dollar he had. His mom was a pushover and would do anything for her son to include trying to give him cash or 'finer things', but Walker's own values wouldn't let him take anything for nothing from anyone, and that included his own mother.

Rick shared his best friend's values, but not the same good fortunes of Walker's family. Then again, there was nothing fortunate—if being fortunate implied luck—about Walker's father who'd worked his ass off to start and then grow his own construction company. He took nothing without earning it, either, and his son admired his father, Walker, Senior, more than anyone on earth. And now that his own dad was gone, Rick also looked up to 'Senior' as he was affectionately called, almost as much as he'd looked up to his own father.

"Sorry, man. I...I just don't want you to go. I know you'll get the GI Bill, but come on. College is overrated."

"I know you're not going, Walk, which no one understands because you're so damn smart, but that's your choice. I want to go, but we can't afford it. And besides, I kind of believe in that 'duty, honor, country' stuff, you know?"

Walker did know. He was also very patriotic, too. But he never wore it on his sleeve. His love of country was an internal thing and not something he had to tout. So yeah, he got it. But that didn't make saying goodbye to his best friend any easier.

"You could still do that by becoming a cop, though. What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing. It's honorable, too. But college is my goal and cops don't get a GI Bill, remember?" Rick reminded his friend.

They'd had this conversation several times and as smart as Walker was, he kept bringing up the same objections that been answered over and over again.

"I hate when you out-logic me," Walker said finally managing a smile. "So when will you be leaving?"

"It looks like mid-August," Rick told him. "But that's nearly two months away and we can have a whole lot of fun in two months, right?"

Walker looked over at him and said, "Yeah. I suppose we can. How about we start having some of it tonight?"

Growing up just a few miles from downtown Seattle meant there was always something going on somewhere. Friends had parties, kids had fake IDs, and if a guy was cute enough or nice enough, he could 'score' with a young lady pretty much anytime he wanted. Walker was both smart and nice, and like his best friend, they were both ready for some action.

After hanging out with some friends for a couple of hours, the 'dynamic duo' as everyone called them, headed into the city and ended up at a bar that was willing to accept any ID that was quickly flashed.

"Yeah! This is what I'm talkin' about!" Rick said.

It wasn't much as bars went, but for two 18-year old kids, it was about as good as it gets. Until two women who were clearly a lot older than them smiled at them when it suddenly got a whole lot better.

"Hey, check it out! Did you see those hotties checking us out?" Rick said as he nudged Walker in the ribs.

"Easy, dude. Yeah, I saw 'em. But um...they're like your mom's age."

Walker looked around and pretty much every woman in there was in her late 20s or in her 30s.

"This place is dead, man!" Walker said over the music. "Let's go somewhere where there are mostly college chicks."

The two women smiled again and Rick said, "Uh-uh. I'm checking this out. Come on, Walk. Every pilot needs a wingman. Come with me."

"You've watched Top Gun one too many times, Rickster," Walker said shaking his head.

An hour later they were back at one of the women's apartments fucking their brains out. The two 'mature' women began hitting on the younger, very-cute guys as they called them, and in short order invited them to go home with them.

Neither of the guys were virgins, but neither one had ever scored with an older girl let alone an actual woman. And both of these women were pretty damn hot for however old they were. All they'd admit to was being 'over 30' but it was more likely they were closer to 35 or even 40.

Screwing someone on the same bed with your best friend isn't something many 18-year olds do. Screwing women twice their age is probably just about unheard of. But that's what happened and Rick couldn't stop talking it about it for days.

"Mine was SO hot!" Rick said again for the umpteenth time.

"Yeah, she was really good looking," Walker said.

"Good looking? What? Are you 40 now or something? Dude, they were smokin'!"

Walker had enjoyed himself as much as Rick, but when it was over, Walker came away a changed man. Or...boy...or whatever. This experience completely changed the way he looked at women, and he wasn't sure he could ever be satisfied with girls his own age again. There was something different about older women. In fact, there were a lot of things that were different and so far, just a few days later, he couldn't think of a single thing he didn't like. Just the thought of dating women over 30 gave him an instant chubby and Walker was thinking about it a lot.

The one and only time he sort of obliquely mentioned it to Rick, his friend thought he'd lost his mind.

"Dude! That's something you try, not something you stick with. We got totally lucky and it was like way, way cool, but who wants to date their mom? I want to hook up with as many hot chicks as I can before I settle down some day. And when I do, it won't be with someone...old. Hell, I could see myself at that age still trying to bed girls our age."

Walker didn't say it out loud, but his mom was 47 not 34. There was something else he definitely wouldn't say out loud to Rick: "To each their own."

Rick could have the girls. Walker was hooked on women.

The rest of the summer passed as the guys worked all day and partied all night. The other guys were in the 30s and 40s they worked with laughed and reminisced about 'the good old days' when they could do that, too.

"Now I'm lucky to finish one beer after dinner before I fall asleep on the couch!" on them said. "Enjoy it while you can, boys. Once you hit 30 it's all downhill from there."

Walker had just smiled and thought, "Not where women are concerned."

He hadn't tried his hand at meeting anyone over 19 since that night primarily because he didn't feel like dealing with Rick. But once his friend was gone...

That day rolled around faster than either of them could believe.

It was actually September 7th before Rick shipped out, and Walker was up early to say goodbye to his best friend, and Taryn was already trying not to cry by the time he showed up at 6am.

"Come in, Walker," she told him. "Rick'll be right down and the recruiter is supposed to be here by 7 o'clock. Do you want something to eat?"

"No, ma'am," he told her as she smiled at him.

He'd always thought she was very pretty, but for the first time he noticed how truly beautiful she was. The one time Walker had asked, Rick said she'd never dated anyone after his dad passed away. He'd also mentioned she'd never dated anyone other than his father. He'd tried to encourage her a few months ago, but she'd have none of it.

"Honey, you are my priority," she'd told him in no uncertain terms. "There'll be plenty of time for that when I'm ready, and I'm most definitely still not ready," she'd told her son the one and only time he'd brought it up.

Taryn tried to pretend like there was nothing unusual as she made pancakes for her son. She was too upset to eat but did have a cup of coffee. She wanted to stay strong and not start crying until after he left, but she knew this was going to be difficult the moment he popped into the kitchen.

"Morning Mom!" Rick said happily as he walked over and kissed her on the cheek, something he didn't normally do.

Taryn smiled then turned away and Walker saw her blinking like crazy and his heart went out to her. He felt like shit knowing his best friend was leaving and couldn't imagine what it would be like for his mother.

"Yo, what up, Walk?" he said flashing a big smile. Rick seemed entirely too happy for the occasion, but it was probably a good thing he was looking forward to his new life.

"How many pancakes do you want, honey?" Taryn asked now fully recovered. Well, on the outside at least.

"Four?" Rick said knowing he'd easily wolf down six.

"Walker? You sure you're not hungry?" she asked. "I've got plenty of batter."

"No, thanks, Mrs. Z," he said politely as he tried not to stare. Even in her robe she looked amazing to him.

"Okay. Suit yourself but don't say I didn't offer," she told him with a smile.

Rick ate and talked as the minutes ticked by. After his second helping, he pushed the plate away and said, "I better brush my teeth before Sergeant Green gets here."

Rick bounded upstairs leaving Taryn and Walker sitting alone at the table.

"You doing okay?" Walker asked out of genuine concern.

Before she could reply, her eyes were filling with tears again, and Walker felt the need to put his arm around her but knew he shouldn't.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Z. I...I know the answer to that question and I shouldn't have asked."

She forced a smile then said, "I'll be okay. It's just saying goodbye that's so hard."

She leaned his way a bit then said, "I'll be a basket case for a few days, I'm sure, but eventually I'll adjust."

"I'm here for you if you ever need me," Walker offered knowing how badly he wished she needed him.

"You've always been such a good boy, Walker. I may just take you up on that. Lord knows there are a ton of things around here that need a man's attention. Things I'm not good with."

"Anytime, Mrs. Z," Walker told her sincerely.

"And listen. You're out of high school now and my son is joining the Marines. So if you're comfortable with it, you can call me Taryn."

"Oh, wow. I'm afraid that'll take some getting used to, but thank you for that," Walker told her.

Taryn smiled at him, put her hand on his then said, "It's hard to admit your boys are now men."

She'd always referred to Walker as 'her boy' the same way his mother did about Rick.

"How did it happen?" she asked rhetorically. "I remember when we first moved here and you boys were missing your front teeth and now all of a sudden, you're grown men. Well, kind of."

She pulled her hand away but continued smiling at him for a moment before Rick came flying back the stairs.

"I just saw Sergeant Green's car and he'll be pulling into the driveway any second."

Rick had a small gym bag by the door which was more than he'd need. He'd been told several times already that the Marine Corps would issue him anything he needed—to include a wife when the time came. Throughout recruit training (or 'boot camp' as it was more often called) at least, he wouldn't need much of anything. The Corps would give him uniforms, feed him, give him a rack (bunk in the other services) to sleep in, and pay him for his time.

Granted, the pay wasn't much, but he would be spending next to nothing so by the time he came home on his first leave, he should have enough money saved up to make a downpayment on a car, and Walker knew exactly which one Rick wanted: a Ford Mustang Fastback with a 5.0L engine.

Walker's parents had bought him a car when he was 16. It was used and very safe. They'd discussed it beforehand, and it was considered a bonus for all the work he did for his dad and around the house as much as a gift. His dad knew that unless he could convince Walker it wasn't 'something for nothing' he wouldn't accept it. Buying a $35,000 new car was out of the question for him, but giving him one that was used and reliable would be acceptable. Walker knew that once his best friend had a steady, guaranteed income, there was no doubt where his paychecks would be going.

There was a firm knock on the door and Rick shot into the foyer and opened it as Taryn glanced over at Walker.

"I may need that help you offered very soon, Walker," she told him.

He was more than surprised when she took his hand and squeezed it so hard it hurt.

Sergeant Green, whom she'd met several times, appeared in their foyer in his dress-blue uniform which was a bit funny considering his last name.

He removed his white barracks cover and said, "Good morning, Mrs. Zander."

"Hello, Sergeant," she said pleasantly. "Oh, this is my adopted son, Walker, who just happens to be Rick's best friend. I'm leaning on him for moral support right now."

Sergeant Green extended a firm handshake and said, "Nice to meet you, young man. The Marine Corps has room for one more if you're interested."

Walker smiled and thanked him with a 'no thank you' reply. The sergeant told him if he ever changed his mind to come look him up and Walker promised him would knowing he'd never changed his mind about joining the Marines.

"Okay, you ready to go?" Green asked Rick.

"Oorah, Sergeant Green!" Rick said using the Marine Corps' pet word which could mean absolutely anything except for 'no'.

"All right then. I'll give you a few minutes to say goodbye. Come on out when you're ready." He nodded to Taryn and said, "Ma'am."

Rick said 'oorah' again and Walker just laughed.

"Good luck, man," he told his friend as they did the 'bro hug' thing.

"Take care of my mom, okay?" Rick said.

"I will. You have my word," Walker said as he stepped aside.

Taryn somehow managed not to cry as they hugged each other for nearly a minute. Every time Rick tried to pull away, his mom pulled him back. She finally let him go then said, "We'll see you out to the car, I guess."

They stood on the porch as Rick got into the white sedan with the Marine emblem on it and waved goodbye until it was out of sight. Taryn turned around quickly and walked back into the house then fell apart.

Walker had only seen her cry once before and that was at her husband's funeral. She sat there in black and cried the entire time. But that was nothing like what he witnessed when he stepped in behind her.

Within seconds she was absolutely sobbing and gasping for air.

"Oh, Walker!" she cried as she threw her arms around his broad shoulders. "My baby is gone!" she said as her body was wracked with grief.

"He'll be okay, Mrs...Taryn," Walker said as he put his hand on the back of her head and let her cry in the crook of his neck.

"You don't know that," she said, her voice breaking with every word.

No, he didn't know that. We were still fighting a war in Afghanistan and who knew what other war might start for reasons no one could predict? So no, Walker most certainly did not know his friend would be okay. But would the universe really be cruel enough to let 'lighting' strike twice? Would it take her husband much too soon and then turn around and take her son? It seemed unlikely in the extreme, but Walker had also learned early in life that sometimes...shit happens.

"You're right," Walker told her. "I don't. But Rick knows how to take care of himself, right? After all, you're his mother and you're just about the most awesome person I know so..."

When she raised her head to look up at him, it was as though it was someone else. There were tears and mascara everywhere and well, other 'fluids' were streaming out of nose and her face was all screwed up in anguish. Even so, Walker thought she was still the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.

She kissed him on the cheek and said, "Thank you for being such a good friend to my boy and well, for just being such an amazing young man yourself."

She pulled back and looked at him for a moment then told him, "You're going to make some young lady very happy one of these days, Walker. I...I almost envy her."

With that, she turned away and excused herself as she headed to the bathroom to wash up. A few minutes later she came back out much cleaner but her eyes were still puffy and bloodshot.

"You sure you're still not hungry?" she said trying to be cheerful.

"You know what? I think I may just take you up on breakfast if the offer still stands."

123456
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Mature
  • /
  • His Best Friend's Mom

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds