• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • In the Vineyard Ch. 08

In the Vineyard Ch. 08

1234

Miles woke up at first light. He always did, no matter how late he stayed up. He looked over at Ana, still asleep. He decided that getting up might wake her - and she looked so relaxed. He leaned back and tried to map out this week's picking schedule. He kept looking back at Ana. Seeing her laying there, her wavy reddish hair glinting in the morning sun, he wanted to make love to her again. Ana made a small sound, and Miles watched to see if she'd wake up. She opened her eyes. Seeing Miles awake, she asked, "What time is it?"

"Just about seven," he replied.

"Early," she said, with a yawn. "Too early."

"It's a curse with me. I just can't sleep in."

"I thought Sunday was your day off. Your day of rest." Ana closed her eyes and rolled her head back on the pillow. Miles imagined wrapping his body around hers. He wondered what it would be like to kiss Ana in the morning. 'She'll think I'm a sex maniac if I start all over again,' he decided.

"Go ahead and sleep, sweet. I'll wake you up later," Miles said. He got out of bed and shivered. It was a cool morning. He hadn't used the furnace that fall, instead building the occasional fire in the evenings. In fact, he often slept on the couch or the rug by the fire. 'Bachelor ways,' he thought. 'Going to have to change.' He imagined for a minute being married to Ana, introducing her as his wife. And this is my wife, Ana, he said in his mind. To his surprise it didn't seem awkward, or impossible either. Something about being with her made him believe that anything was possible. Just a week ago, he literally chased her away rather than tell her the truth, and now, after she heard the whole story she was still here, making love and staying the night with him. He regretted now the loss of even a week with Ana. 'Be grateful for what you have,' he told himself. 'And don't screw it up!'

Miles looked around the bedroom and found his bathrobe, tucked in the bottom of one of the metal cabinets he used for closets. He put it on. He almost tripped over something. It was Ana's overnight bag and it was open. He didn't want to seem nosy, but his curiosity got the better of him. He began looking through the bag. Close to the top, he saw the light green silk robe she'd worn Friday. He took it out and held it up to his face, smelling it. Sure enough, there was a faint odor, lightly sweet, and by now, recognizable as the smell of Ana. He took the robe and carefully laid it across the bed, where she'd be sure to see it. He would have preferred that she walk around nude, but it was a little too chilly for that. Maybe he could warm things up.

Miles went down the steps. Deciding against the furnace - it was loud and would spend an hour warming up - Miles instead worked to rebuild the fire - there were still a couple of hot coals at the bottom. The weather forecast another warm afternoon, so Miles just needed to counteract the morning's chill. He went outside to get wood - the pile next to the door. He shivered as he went outside. It was cool this morning. Not yet frosting, but it would be soon. Miles thought about the grapes. This will be the last week, he thought. I need to go check them in a little bit. Miles remembered that his main goal today was to spend some time with Jack Formby. He smiled at the thought of Jack meeting Ana. Jack would be impressed. He knelt and picked up the newspaper. The weekday papers were delivered to the winery entrance, but with a few tries and some extra tips for the carrier, Miles managed to get the Sunday edition dropped off on his doorstep.

Miles rebuilt the fire, than started looking through the paper. His thoughts kept returning to Jack Formby. More than anyone, even Miles' mother, Jack pressed Miles to deal with his past. Jack insisted that the only way for Miles to escape his demons was to confront them. Jack continually nagged Miles to find Em, and confront her in person. Jack thought that was the only way that Miles would feel closure and be able to move forward. Miles thought about that now. 'I am moving forward now,' he thought. 'Finally.' But, he still held onto some anger, and guilt. He remembered how he began to experience those things Friday night, when he told Ana the story. Maybe he did need to face Em so he could face his feelings. There was also going to be the difficulty of obtaining a divorce. Miles had no idea how to do it, but he knew that he must. He regretted not taking care of it years ago, but there was nothing he could do about that now. Except keep moving forward.

Ana found getting back to sleep difficult. She kept her eyes closed while Miles wandered around. After he went down the steps, she looked to see what he had laid on the bed. Her bathrobe. 'How considerate,' she thought. But her mind was whirling with the things he said last night. The thought of Miles spending the night was comfortable enough, or even the idea that she spent some time here with him. She had thought that their sex was great. Then she thought again. Even though they'd had intercourse a few times, Miles had not spent a total of ten minutes inside her, making love to her. Every time, Miles stopped foreplay and he didn't deliver during intercourse. Ana remembered how Greg Romano would, sometimes, make love to her for an hour. So much for copulation with Miles...and Miles had even stopped her from using her mouth in the shower. No man had ever stopped her from doing that before. But, the other things he suggested - marriage, a life together, going forward starting his own winery - each of those thoughts concerned Ana. Was she ready for marriage? After all, she knew how to be married to Greg - and she finally decided that she didn't want that anymore. What would it be like, being married to Miles? For one thing, he was constantly pursued by women. 'I guess Greg is, too,' she reasoned. She barely noticed when women came on to Greg, after all, she had lived through a years of his affairs when they were married - but with Miles, she had to admit, she got a little jealous. Even in a situation involving Miles' work, like the time spent with Cassy. There was also that temper she'd seen a couple of times. What if Miles was prone to fits of anger? And, what about a new business venture? Creek Valley was obviously a success, could Miles repeat the success somewhere else? How long would it take? This business required far more than a forty-hour work week commitment. What kind of stress would that add to a relationship? There was still the subject of Ana's own ambitions. Was she supposed to just throw them aside in order to help Miles with his dream? What if she wanted to go back to work? Did Miles think that she would throw away her career to drive tractors and split logs? And dig holes, she thought. A lot of planting would be required. While the work might be fun for a while, Ana had trouble visualizing herself as some sort of rustic farm worker. She liked drinking wine, being around the winery, even picking the grapes, but would it ever become a passion for her like it was for Miles? Those thoughts kept her from going back to sleep. She could hear Miles moving around, going out the door, working with the fire, then over to the kitchen, starting a coffee maker. She looked down at the clock on the floor. Seven-forty-five. Might as well get up, she thought. I'm not getting any rest. She felt a little apprehensive. What if he started talking about all of that again, marriage, future, and the like? I can tell him that I'm not ready to make any serious plans at this time of my life; after all we've only been intimate for a few days. But, she thought, what if he thinks I mean I'm not serious about him? I don't really want to date other people, at least not now. And, I certainly don't want him to date other people. She was confused. Maybe I'm just scared of the idea of change, she thought. Things had been the same for so long, the job loss had been really traumatic. Maybe that made her afraid of any other changes. She thought again, and decided instead not to say anything about any of this, whether Miles brought it up or not. She needed to spend some more time determining what she really wanted before she and Miles could make real plans. For now, there was today. She knew she had to go home tonight and wondered if he would come with her. We'll see soon enough, she thought to herself. Just try to relax and enjoy being with him.

Ana got out of bed and put the robe on. It was a little chilly, but as she went down the stairs, she could feel the heat of the fire. Miles was sitting on the couch, looking at a newspaper and drinking a cup of coffee. Seeing her, he put the paper down and got up. "Did I wake you? I'm sorry, I wanted you to get some more sleep. Can I make you a cup of coffee?"

Ana assured him that he hadn't woken her and that she could get her own coffee. "Thanks, anyway. Where are your cups?"

"Cabinet on the left. Milk or crème in the fridge. I don't use sugar, but I have some in you like."

"No, I take milk only."

Ana found the assortment of cups and mugs. She chose a medium sized cup. She poured the coffee, adding some milk. She took a drink.

"This is good. What kind of coffee do you use?"

"I change around, but right now its Kona. I like to buy whole bean and grind up a little at a time. But, Jimmy ground extra on Friday, and I wasn't here yesterday. It's been in the freezer, so it doesn't taste bad."

"No, its great. " She walked back toward Miles. "You know, sometimes, I get so lazy living alone that I make instant."

Miles confessed. "Me, too. Once in a while. In fact, I have to constantly remind myself about things like that. I mean, I'll go for days and not eat any good food - cans of soup, frozen food, convenience stuff. Because its hard to get motivated to cook for one. One of the reasons that I made an effort to go out on dates was that I usually ate better at restaurants than I did here by myself." He looked up at Ana. "What about you? I mean do you eat at home alone?"

Ana sat in one of the chairs opposite Miles. "Yes. I like to eat in. And, I like to cook. And, no, I don't do frozen pizzas. I know what you mean about cooking for one. So, I make what I wan and eat leftovers for a few days. I don't mind that, if its good food." She had a sudden thought. "I'll cook for you, if you like. Even tonight!"

He smiled. "Yes, I would like." He added, "its not that I'm not capable. I don't want you to think that I'm the typical lazy single guy. In fact, I'd be happy to help. Maybe we can cook together."

"That sounds like fun. Where do you shop around here?"

"There's a small grocery in Creekboro. But, I thought we'd go visit Jack - if that's ok with you - " she nodded, remembering that was Miles' plan - "and he lives about 30 miles east of here, in Mount Union. And they have a nice big store there - it's an independent, not a chain - and they have lots of produce, fresh herbs, nice meats. In fact, we buy our cook out meats from the same wholesaler they use. The store also has a nice wine department, and they do stock some of ours. What food do you want to make?"

"Oh, lets just see what looks good at the store. I'm assuming you don't have anything here."

"Other than a can of chicken noodle soup, and a frozen Chinese dinner, no."

Ana sat drinking her coffee. Miles started to pick up the paper again, then put it back. He looked a little lost, Ana thought.

"Its ok," she said. "Don't mind me. Just do whatever you normally do."

"I guess I don't normally just hang around. I'm usually doing something."

"Well, what do you do this early in the morning?"

"Oh, whatever. I go and look around in the cellar, double check outside to see that everything's cleaned up, check the sales for the past week, sit in my office for a couple of hours, stuff like that. Most of it isn't necessary, it just gives me something to fill the time. Sunday is the one day that I spend alone."

Her words came out before Ana could think. "Maybe not anymore." I guess I meant that, she thought. Or I wouldn't have said it.

"I wouldn't mind that. Being alone with you, I mean."

Ana felt awkward. She hadn't meant to start talking about the future. She started to leaf through the paper. "Do you do the crossword?" she asked. Miles shook his head.

"I'm no good at those. You're welcome to it. I've got a pencil around here someplace."

"Its ok. I have a pen in my purse." Ana's purse had been left on the floor last night. She opened it and realized that she didn't see the rest of her things. "Didn't I leave some clothes down here last night?"

"I picked everything up. We have a cleaning service that picks up our stuff. We send everything out, winery shirts, tablecloths, napkins, and I send all of my things since there isn't a washing machine here. I put your clothes in with mine." He paused. "I hope that's ok. They'll be back, clean, at the end of the week. I thought it was the least I could do. After all, I was the one throwing them around." Miles had an awkward look on his face. Was it embarrassment, Ana wondered? He was subdued this morning compared to yesterday. I guess I feel a little strange, too, she thought. This is almost the first time we've woken up together. Her morning routine was going to change if they kept spending the night together.

"No, of course, launder my clothes, that's great. Saves me the trouble. Thanks."

"You know," Miles said, "You might want to move some things here. I mean, in case you want to spend the night. I'll make room for your things. I can even get some furniture, if you like. A clothes dresser, if you want."

"Don't go to any trouble. I was thinking about bringing some things here, but I'll make due. What about you? Don't you want to bring some things to my place?"

Miles grinned. "I thought you'd never ask. Yes, I would like that. I was serious about what I said earlier. About not wanting to spend a night away from you. But, if you need a break, or some space, just let me know. And, Ana, I'm not trying to rush into anything. I do plan to take care of, you know, Em." Ana noticed that Miles tightened as he said her name. "I plan to take care of that thing right away. But, things are going well here. I can stay here for a while longer. As long as you'll put up with it. The back and forth, I mean."

He was trying hard, Ana thought, to say the right things. To tell her that he was committed, but to give her an out. That made her feel better. The slower things moved, the happier she would be. She looked at him. He was so remarkably good looking. His hair was tousled but not tangled, and she was beginning to like the faint outline of beard he wore. His bathrobe was belted loosely, and she could see the muscular chest and shoulders, still tan, even now in October. She remembered how strong his arms were as he lifted her last night. His shape wasn't as noticeable when he was dressed, but in the nude, he had the body of a statue. One advantage of this business, she thought. No need to go to the gym for a workout.

"You OK?" Miles asked as he leaned toward her.

"I was just thinking."

"I could see that. You are intriguing to watch. Not to mention beautiful!" Miles stood up and walked over to Ana. He knelt down and caught her mouth in a kiss. Now I know what she tastes like in the morning, he thought. Still sweet, with a hint of coffee.

Ana thought, he drives me crazy, once he starts, I can't say no. Something came over her, beginning to be familiar, the sensation she got when Miles was close. He finished kissing her. "MMmmm. You taste good."

"So do you," she said.

"Speaking of tasting, I don't really have anything to offer for breakfast. I'm pretty much a coffee person in the morning. I like to eat an early lunch. Unless I'm working in the vineyard, then I eat whenever I get hungry."

"I'm not a breakfast person, either."

"Do you want to take a shower, or anything? I guess I should also tell you to do whatever you normally do in the morning." As Miles spoke, he rubbed his hands lightly across her breasts.

"Well," she answered, "On Sunday, I drink coffee and do the crossword. When I'm home. That reminds me, I need to call my mother." Seeing Miles questioning expression, she added, "They're up at their lake house, and I said I might come by today." Miles pulled Ana's robe closed again and stood up.

"What are you going to tell them?" Miles asked. "Should I assume that you're not going to be entirely honest?"

"Its not that I'm embarrassed, or ashamed. I just need to get them prepared slowly. I know Daddy will be devastated about Greg."

"What? Is something wrong?"

"I guess I didn't tell you. I broke off with Greg last week." She added quickly, "before I knew if I'd see you again. I could just tell it wasn't right between us. Unfortunately, he had been talking to my father and planned to propose to me. I stopped him in time, then, I guess you could say I dumped him. I couldn't let him go on, waiting for me."

"Does your father expect to be asked?" Miles raised an eyebrow. "Didn't you say last night that you didn't need your parents approval?" He eyed her. "You look pretty

grown up to me."

"Well, that's another problem with Greg. He always involved Mother and Daddy in everything. He sometimes acted more like they were his parents than mine. But, his parents are quite elderly, and they don't live near here. Greg sort of adopted my parents when we started dating, and they sort of adopted him back. It made everything so simple, at least at first. The only thing missing was me. I was never quite with the program."

Miles leaned toward Ana. "Don't take the blame. Maybe the only thing missing was...love." He leaned toward her , took her hand and kissed it. "You know, Ana, it's my goal to make you fall in love with me. And, I don't expect to involve your parents, at least not until later on. This is between us. Two consenting adults."

"Miles, I find you very attractive. And, I like being with you. But, I don't know how you can know you're in love with someone you've only known for two weeks. My God, we've not even had a real date!"

"My feelings are real," Miles said.

"I'm not questioning you, its me. Can we just go along, and see what happens?"

"Ok," he said, starting to laugh. "Guess what's happening now?" He stood up, took the coffee cup from Ana and sat it down. He stood in front of her, between her legs, and bent over. He untied the bathrobe, and pulled it off her shoulders. "Getting warm in here," Miles said, then untied his own robe. He pulled Ana up, and hugged against her, body to body. . Ana felt the sensation again, an electricity, her skin tingling, thoughts of everything else seemed to melt, she was only aware of touching Miles, being touched by Miles, being close to Miles, it was as if all the world stopped moving.

"Ana," Miles ended the kiss and spoke to her. "Just know this. I love making love to you. But I would be in love with you even if we hadn't. Its only one piece, even though it's an important piece."

Ana felt like she must say something. "I can say truthfully that I've never felt like this with anyone. Its almost like I never really knew what being in love was like, until you."

Miles smiled. "I think we'd better get dressed. Otherwise, I'll want to spend the whole day inside with you. Not that it would be all bad. But there are things to do."

"Yes. I'd better make that phone call before I forget."

"You can use my phone. It's in the kitchen."

"No, I'll use my cell. They'll see what number I'm calling from and start asking questions."

"I'll give you some privacy. I'm going to go get cleaned up a little." He started toward the bathroom, then stopped. "Ana. I meant it when I told you that I do want to meet your parents. But I respect that you can't drop in with a new man in your life. Whenever you're ready, I'm up for it. I'll even get cleaned up - no muddy work boots!" Ana felt ashamed, remembering her earlier impressions of Miles.

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • In the Vineyard Ch. 08

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 14 milliseconds