• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • A Family Affair Ch. 03

A Family Affair Ch. 03

The Ewing Fairgrounds were dark except for the dirt tug pull track. There the lights shone brightly down on the farmers and their tractors. However, these tractors weren't for farming for the most part.

Beneath their glossy coats of paint they had been tinkered with to increase horsepower, increase your chances to win. As usual the start was running late. And men talked about how slow women were. Tractors lined up at the scale house to be weighted in and have the drawbar measured.

A pull was the only thing Kent was ever on early for, Cathryn thought to herself as she knelt down letting air out of one the 3020 John Deere's tires. On the other side Sam doing the same thing to the other tire. The tractor pulled better on this track with low tire pressure. The hiss of air stopped when she move the pocket knife away from the valve stem. She looked under the tractor at Sam and waited for him to pass the air gage.

"Thanks hon." She said when he laid the gage in her outstretched hand. He winked at her before he stood up to help Kent fasten down the weights.

When she was done she stood, put her knife and the air gage in her pockets, and went around to where Sam was to help him with the ratchet strap. They worked together quietly both so used to the routine they never needed to speak. Sam glanced around to locate Kent and saw him talking to Jim, one of the other pullers and their biggest competition.

"Kent was asking me questions about you today." He said softly still working.

Cathryn's hands trembled slightly as she glanced over her shoulder at Kent then forced herself to be calm. "What about?"

"He wanted to know if I noticed anything different about you lately." After a short pause, Sam continued with," He said you haven't had sex with him in a while."

"Shit, I can't screw him, I feel like I'm cheating on you."

A small smile passed over Sam's lips at that. "He said other things too. I got the impression when you did have sex it wasn't anything great."

"Hmm." Cathryn competently wound up the excess length of strap and tied it on the tractor. "If you are waiting for me to tell you that you are better its not going to happen. But you should be able to figure it out. I want you all the time, everyday, all day. Hell I would go for it right now if I could. Everything about you turns me on."

Sam ached to hold her but he couldn't, not there. Not with some many eyes around and Kent just a few steps away. So he merely laid a hand on her arm. "I know what you mean."

They stared at each other with longing in their eyes for a few moments before looking away and looking for Kent. He was standing beside the one thousand pound dead weight sled. Sam moved in that direction. "I'm going to see what's going on."

"Fine, I'll hold down the fort." She climbed up on the Deere and watched him walk away.

From behind his tractor Jeff Riley watched her watching Sam. His ears might not be what they used to be from all the years of riding tractors. But he didn't need to hear the murmured words between them to see the heat in the gaze they were sharing or to read the body language.

Playing with fire he thought to him self and went back to working on his tractor. It was none of his business if Kent's wife was banging his cousin. It should be one hell of a show when he figured it out.

The tractor pull started forty-five minutes late but none of the guys seemed to care. That was actually fairly early for them. On the bleachers Cathryn sat between Kent and Sam watching the primarily green, red, and blue tractors drag the sled up and down the track ten feet at a time.

When it was their turn to pull the guys left her sitting alone. There were times when they would leave her alone while they talked to the other pullers about the condition of the track, farming, and other things that men chat about.

There were hardly ever any women at these events so Cathryn reclined on the bleachers and watched the action. She had pulled before and even had a trophy to prove it but she would rather watch, then go to the truck and sleep when it got late.

Jeff stood, leaning back against the weight bracket of tractor, talking to Jim Fitzgerald. "Ever notice how chummy Sam and Kent's wife are?"

Jim looked over as Sam was bringing Cathryn a burger and Mt. Dew. "So you know Kent, he's always bringing her to these pulls and ignoring her. And you know he treats Sam like a slave."

"Mmm." Jeff scratched him chin while he thought. "I saw them talking earlier today."

"Yeah, so Kent was talking to his wife." Jim said wishing if Jeff had a point he would go ahead and make it.

Jeff looked over at him like he was an idiot. "Shit for brains. I didn't mean Kent. I meant Sam. I think he's fooling around with his cousin's wife."

"The hell you say." Jim stared in disbelief. "They're too close for that. What did they say to make you think so?"

"Well I don't rightly know. I couldn't hear them." He watched them eating together before he swung his gaze back to Jim. "But it was the way they were looking at each other, like if they weren't here they'd be screwing each other silly."

"Interesting, I wonder how long it's going to take him to figure it out. It almost serves him right. He's the one that leaves them alone together." Both men turned to look at Kent in amusement and sympathy.

It was four in the morning when they had finally added enough five hundred pound weights to the sled that no tractor could pull it the full ten feet. Cathryn missed the end of the pull. She was sound asleep in the truck by then. And by then the rumor had spread that Sam was nailing her behind Kent's back. Men were worse gossips that women ever thought about being.

On Tuesdays Cathryn spent the day with her friend Lizy. They had been friends since their days in the eighth grade. Unlike most grade school friendships they made theirs last. Like any relationship there were ups and downs but they hung on with frequent phone calls and visits. Lizy worked at the Wal-mart downtown in Alexandria and was currently dating someone from that area. Her relationship with Ray had lasted over a year and was still going strong.

Cathryn waited for and feared the day Lizy moved down there with him. But for right now they were together and making their way up Interstate 275 to the Florence Mall.

Lizy reclined against the gray seat of Cathryn's 2001 Impala. "So is Sam coming over tomorrow?"

Cathryn cast her a sidelong look. Lizy was the first and only person she told about her affair. "Yeah, he always comes over for lunch on Wednesdays."

Laughing, Lizy patted Cathryn's arm. "Right, lunch. You two tear up the sheets every week. Cat you can't pull that one on me. I know you too well."

"I still fix him lunch." Cathryn said stubbornly.

With a mischievous light in her brown eyes Lizy finger combed her long deep brown tresses before stepping out of the car. "I bet I know his favorite think to eat."

Cathryn's lips twitched in a smirk before she could stop her self. "Get your skinny ass out of the car so we can shop. You have filthy mind. You know that don't you?"

Catching up with Cathryn, Lizy waggled her eye brows at her. "I bet it's his favorite thing though."

Cathryn smiled and shook her head. "Yeah. So what are we shopping for?"

"Ray's birthday, I have no idea what to get him."

"How much do you want to spend?" She stopped to eye a pair of earrings.

Lizy shrugged and leaned closer to the earrings too. The girls combed through most of the stores at the mall. Three hours, four pairs of earrings, three pairs of shoes, some lingerie, and a shirt later they emerged victorious with a present for Ray. It was perfectly him, some piece of Star Wars memorabilia that he had been hunting for months. They lucked out when they found the little Yoda hiding behind the stack of Care Bears.

"So do you think he'll like Yoda or the slinky little number you bought better?" Cathryn asked over her tossed salad.

Lizy pointed her fork in Cathryn's direction and in a low voice said. "Like Yoda he will. Desire lingerie he must."

"Cute, very cute." Cathryn chuckled. "So when are you going out?"

"I have reservations at the restaurant and hotel on Friday."

"A hotel, really?" Cathryn said in a sing song voice then dropped it down low. "Are you going to use and abuse him?"

"Yeah, but he'll like it." Lizy waited until the waitress sat down their entrées. "So are you going to put on a fashion show for Sam tomorrow?"

"Maybe, he's never seen me in skimpy lingerie." A slow smile spread across her face. "It could be interesting."

"So are you going to leave Kent?" After the question was out in the open Cathryn stared at her friend. She wasn't sure how to respond but Lizy wasn't giving up. "Well are you?"

Cathryn sighed. "I want to."

"But..." probed Lizy.

"Sam won't talk about it. He says he doesn't even want to think about the future," explained Cathryn.

Lizy stabbed a fry with her fork and pointed it at Cathryn. "What do you want?"

"I want to be with Sam." She stated simply.

"Then there you have it," was Lizy's answer. She changed the subject then and talked about what her and Ray did that past weekend. "You know we should go out together some weekend. Me and Ray, you and Sam, it could be fun."

"And how is that going to happen. And how are you going to explain that to Ray. I can see it. Hey Ray you remember my friend Cathryn. Oh, and this is her lover Sam."

"I don't know. It was just a thought." Lizy went back to her food. Both women lapsed into their silent thoughts. They went on home after they were done eating and sat up most of the night talking at Lizy's house. The subject of Cathryn leaving Kent wasn't brought up again that evening but it lingered on her mind.

*****

As usual, Sam sat across the table from Cathryn holding her hand and eating his lunch. She was lost in her own thoughts he knew. He wasn't overly worried about it. When she was ready she would tell him what was troubling her. So he sat back to think about the sight of her in the bright red teddy, something she bought just for him. It pleased him that she had bought it to make him happy. It pleased him even more to peal the silk and lace from her body.

"Sam, I've been thinking." Cathryn's voice snapped him back to the present. He raised his eyebrows at her in acknowledgment. Cathryn cleared her throat and took a drink of her iced tea. "I should leave Kent."

"Cat, baby, we've talked about this." Sam squeezed her hand but she cut him off with a look.

"No Sam, we haven't, not really. I've wanted to but you won't." She stared at their joined hands and moved her other hand to rest on top both of them. "I love you Sam. You are the one I want to be with. I wasn't to marry you and have your children. The only thing stopping that is Kent."

"You want to have my children." Staring in amazement he rounded the table to squat beside her. "I love you more than anything but I just...I hate to see Kent hurt."

With her hands on either side of his face, Cathryn looked down at Sam. "Neither do I, but it's not fair to us or him."

"Just wait a while longer. Please." Sam stood back up and held her to his side. "I'm trying to save up so we won't have to take out quite as big a loan to buy this place. I want you to have your house. And you'll have to sell at least Kent's half. He's not going to get your house."

"You're going to buy Kent out." Cat hugged him close. "Okay we'll wait a little bit longer."

Sam sat back down and finished his lunch. Soon, very soon the woman across from him would be his wife and the house he was sitting in would be his. He hoped that no matter what happened Kent would still care enough about Cathryn that he wouldn't completely take her house. It was half hers and Sam wanted to buy Kent out on the other half and the farm too.

When he was finished eating he let Cathryn walk him to the door and kiss him good-bye. He loved her and he hoped by the end of the year she would be filing for divorce and he could marry her. He decided this after his little chat with Grant the week before.

In the darkness Kent laid his hand on his wife's arm. He knew she was still awake even though her back was to him. Slowly he moved closer and slid his hand around to grope her breast. In a quick jerk she moved further away from him and pushed his hand away.

Not to be deterred Kent slid his arm around her and leaned over to whisper in her ear. "Wanna make love?"

Cathryn scowled in the darkness and pushed his arm off. "No, I want to go to sleep."

"Come on it's been a month and a half." Kent whined and tried to grope at her again. "Just a quick one."

"Kent I said I want to go to sleep. I have to get up early and go to work in the morning." She said and shoved his arm away and pulled her cover up around her neck.

Sitting up in bed Kent leaned over and turned on the lamp. "I want to have sex. You're not going to sleep until we at least talk about why you have been putting me off."

"I just don't want to okay. Now turn off the damn lamp so I can go to sleep." Cathryn said through clenched teeth.

Kent grabbed the blanket and pulled it away from her. "No, now roll over and at least look at me so we can talk this through."

When the cover was yanked away from her Cathryn sat up in the bed and glared at her husband. She reached out for her blanket but Kent pulled it further out of her reach. "Kent quit acting childish and give me my blanket."

"No." Kent sat in the bed hugging the floral comforter to his chest like a spoiled, cranky child. In the dim lamp light his farmers tan seemed more pronounced.

Cathryn sighed and swung off the tall bed. "Fine, I'll just go to sleep on the couch downstairs." With a yank she unplugged her alarm clock. "That's were I'll be staying until you quit acting like an ass."

He watched her pick up her pillows and stalk out of the room. He knew he blew it when he lost his temper but he couldn't stop it. The light was still on as he sat there holding her blanket. Some fifteen minutes later he was still sitting up in the bed staring at the bedroom door she had slammed in her wake. Part of him wanted to storm downstairs after her. The other part wanted to leave well enough alone and let her cool off. In the end that part won and he lay back down in the bed still hugging the comforter. Eventually he decided to turn off the lamp and go to sleep.

When the room was dark again Kent lay staring at Cathryn's side of the bed wondering where he went wrong. Somehow he had lost his wife. Since before they were married he only had a slippery hold on her but her convinced her to marry him. Along the way he lost his hold on her and was left grasping at smoke. I won her once, Kent thought to himself, I can do it again.

It never occurred to Kent as his eyes slid closed that Cathryn was already lost to him forever. And no matter what he did would be leaving him and would never truly live as his wife again. Her mind was made up. No matter what she would never be intimate with Kent again. Not as long as Sam loved her. So Kent went to sleep dreaming of ways to woo his wife while she lay on the couch dreaming of her lover.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • A Family Affair Ch. 03

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 24 milliseconds