• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • A Family Affair Ch. 04

A Family Affair Ch. 04

Kentucky was moving into the dog days of summer. If July was hot, August was an inferno. The sweltering heat lay heavy over everyone and everything. The leaves on the trees hung lifeless waiting for a breeze to send them dancing but there wasn't a breeze to be found anywhere.

It was humid enough to be a sauna, a person would be ringing with sweat after a simple walk to the mail box. Though the air was wet the ground was bone dry. Yards were yellowing under the sun and many people had given up mowing weeks before.

At seven-thirty in the morning Cathryn stood beside the doorway of the garage dreading stepping out into the garage where there wasn't any air conditioning. The closed off room was like an oven already as it never quite seem to cool down outside at night. She hoped she could stay closed up in the Boat Dock fight to keep the air conditioner going.

But she knew better, no matter what the heat index reached there would be idiots that went camping. And when they camp they want to boat. So with a resigned sigh Cathryn stepped out into the oven-garage, got into her car, and immediately turned on the air.

Sure enough there was the usual Saturday line of people waiting on her when she made it to the dock. "If you just wait out here while I get everything ready I'll let you know when you can come in." She told them and locked the door behind her. First off she turned on the air and ten counted the money for the register.

After that she turned on the radio to the local country station and she was ready to let then in. "Okay you can come in now."

Cathryn worked quietly and methodically. The routine was old hat by now. When the last customer stepped up she looked up and smiled. "Sam! What are you doing here?"

"I was on my way to Butler to see my grandma and decided to swing by and visit you. Then I figured I would go on to the nursing home, swing by Falmouth on my way back, and bring you lunch." Sam leaned against the counter and toyed with Cathryn's fingers. "Are you interested?"

"Sure, but what if Carrie sees you?" Her fingers closed over his without her even realizing it.

Picking up her hand he brought her finger tips to his lips and smiled. "I was near by and thought I would bring you lunch. That's all there it. Isn't there? Besides it's as close as I'm going to get to taking you out for your birthday."

"Out for my birthday...that's sweet. Well you better go so you can have time with your grandma before you bring me my birthday lunch." Cathryn quickly leaned over the counter and kissed him good-bye."

She watched him walk away then when back to her work. Her birthday wasn't for another week and it warmed her that he wanted to do something with her to celebrate it. Kent usually took her out for her birthday. She figured this year would be no different. He was already making noises about where she wanted to eat at. It really didn't matter to her because he would be there instead of Sam.

It had been almost a month now since she moved to the couch. For a while Kent whined about her coming back to bed. Then came the flowers, once a week he would bring home a new bouquet of some sort of flower. Next was jewelry that she could have cared less about. After that he tried taking her out to eat. But Cathryn would rather stay at home. Soon he quit trying to win her back to bed so she stayed on the couch and he slept in the bed.

The only people that knew about the sleeping arrangements were Lizy and Sam. Both told by Cathryn. As far as the general public was concerned they were happily married and shared sleeping quarters.

It was twelve-thirty when Sam returned with a picnic lunch from Lee's Famous Recipe. The spicy aroma filled the cab of his red Dodge as they drove over to the picnic area. By pure luck they found an empty table. Kids ran screaming to and from the playground equipment. Somewhere a radio played the Top 40 count down. Parents were lounging in lawn chairs chatting with each other and occasionally yelling at their children.

"Sorry about this." Sam looked across the wooden table at her. "I guess this isn't too romantic." A ball bounced off their table narrowly missing the food. "Or private."

"It's perfect because I'm with you." Cathryn patted his hand and reached for her lemonade. "So did you bring a birthday cake?"

"You'll just have to wait and see won't you." Sam dug into his food with a smirk.

When they were finished Sam went to his truck and came back with a cup cake. He set the confection down in front of Cathryn and wished her Happy Birthday. On top of the gooey frosting sat a ring. A beautiful square cut emerald surrounded by small diamonds.

Cathryn gasped when she saw it sparkle in the sunlight. "Oh my God Sam, it's beautiful. You really shouldn't have."

"Of course I should. You can't wear my wedding band, yet, but you can wear this one. Just say you bought it yourself or Lizy bought it for you." Sam picked the ring off the cupcake and sucked the icing off of it.

She watched him slide the ring on the third finger of her right hand. "It fits perfectly." She said in amazement. "How did you know what size?"

"Are you kidding? I know these fingers, very well. Besides I remember Kent asking you before he bought that last ring for you."

"But that was long before we were together. You remembered for all this time." A tear formed and threatened to escape down her cheek. "Kent didn't even buy the right size then."

"I love you so I pay attention." Sam looked down at her watch and scowled. "I better take you back to work, your lunch is about over."

The cab of the truck was quiet on the drive back to the Boat Dock. When they got there Cathryn looked around cautiously to make sure no one was around before leaning over to kiss Sam good-bye. Their lips met for as long as possible before parting. Slowly Cathryn climbed out of the truck and watched Sam drive away.

From his rearview mirror Sam could see her watching him leave. The leaving was getting harder. He knew it wouldn't be long before he couldn't leave her. The way he figured it would be definitely be winter before he saved up enough money, if they could wait that long.

*****

The factory was even more scorching than the watery heat outside. Sam could feel sweat running down his back as the operated the machine for the gear boxes. The blue Weber t-shirt clung to him as he reached over to readjust the fan that was only ineffectively moving around hot air. He agreed to work over time that night so they could catch up from one of the machines being down. It was just more money he could save.

Grant wasn't quiet when he walked up behind Sam but he knew his friend never heard him. "Hey," he said and watched Sam jump in surprise and turn around, "I'm going out for a smoke break, wanna come?"

Sam turned back and put the machine on stand by. "Sure it has to be cooler outside."

"Why do you think I want to go to out?"

Grant leaned against the side of the building and pulled a pack of cigarettes out of his shirt pocket. After he lit one he crossed his long legs and watched Sam. There was something on his mind but Grant wouldn't ask. If he wanted to talk about it he would say.

In the horizon, red lighting danced across the sky teasing everyone with the hope of rain. But farmers knew there was no rain with the red light show.

Slowly Sam turned and leaned against the railing on the landing to face Grant. "I'm saving up so I can marry her and put a down payment on a loan to buy her house."

Grant was quiet, not quite sure of what to say. Finally he spoke. "Are you sure she'll leave him?"

"Yeah, she'd have left him a month ago but I won't let her yet." Sam stared at his friend. "You want to meet her?"

Amusement filled Grant's green eyes. "Haven't I already. It's Cathryn isn't it?"

Sam's head whipped back up to look at him. "How did you know?"

"It wasn't hard. When you invited me to go to the tractor pull with you all I figured it out. The heat between you is hotter than this damn humid air." Grant paused and took the last drag off his cigarette before flipping the butt away. "I'm not the only one that's figured it out. I overheard several of the guys talking. Most of them believe that you're banging you cousin's wife."

"Shit." Turning, Sam stared back out toward the northern sky. "I thought we were careful. You know I'm not just sleeping with her. I love her, flat out love her."

Walking over, Grant leaned against the rail beside Sam. "I know that. You must because I know how close you are to Kent. You've said he's like a brother to you."

"Yeah, but I was in love with her before she married him. She felt the same for me but we were too stupid to do anything about it." Absently Sam glanced down at his cell phone. "I guess we better head back in. See you at seven for break."

Grant watched Sam walk back in and wondered what it would be like to be in love like that. Right now he was happy with single life, if he got bored with one girl her could move on to the next. They seemed to like his dark wavy hair and angular face. His dark brows arched wickedly over his sea green eyes that more than one woman has sighed over.

Unlike Sam's short, lean, and lanky frame, he was tall and built like the proverbial brick shit house. Like Sam, there wasn't a reason for the tight Wrangler jeans and t-shirt or western shirts other than that's what he liked. If women wanted to look at his ass he wouldn't complain.

At seven sharp Grant was waiting by the entrance for Sam. "So when are we going out?"

As they walked to the truck Sam shot his friend a puzzled look. "What on earth are you talking about?"

"You asked me if I wanted to meet your girl. So I assumed that we were all going out sometime." Grant swung easily up into the four-wheel drive truck. "Of course I figured I wasn't supposed to bring a date."

"Yeah, I was figuring on going out or just having her meet us up here for supper one night. And no, you weren't going to have a date." Sam pulled the truck in to the parking lot at Arby's and looked over at Grant. "It doesn't matter now. You know who she is and I hadn't asked her yet if she wanted to meet you as my girlfriend."

"Well you better ask her. I'd like to know her better." Grant opened the door to the restaurant and looked back with a smirk. "Besides she's cute maybe she'll want a real man."

With a laugh Sam shoved Grant through the doorway. Grant stealing his woman was the last of his worries.

That night Cathryn got her blanket and pillows out of the closet and made her bed. Behind her Kent was watching her. It had been almost a month since she moved there and she still made no moves to come back. The flowers, candy, earrings, and apology hadn't worked.

His brother-in-law, Jack, asked him if maybe she was getting hers someplace else. Jack knew about the no sex, but not about her sleeping on the couch. Kent couldn't bear for that to get out. Besides Kent knew that Cathryn wouldn't cheat on him so the whole idea was preposterous.

After she got everything where she wanted it, Cathryn set her alarm and crawled under her cover. She was lying on her side with her right hand next to her cheek. That's when Kent saw it. The brilliant flash of emerald and white hot diamonds shined on her finger where it had been since she received it six days before.

Kent's voice was full of curiosity. "Where did you get the ring?"

Slowly her eyes opened and Cathryn glanced down at the gems before looking back up at her husband. With no regret she lied coolly. "Lizy gave it to me for my birthday."

"Oh, it looks expensive." Kent studied the ring from his chair. "She must have paid a fortune for it."

With a shrug Cathryn closed her eyes again to go to sleep. "It was a present. I didn't ask a price. Turn the light out on your way out."

He had just been dismissed Kent thought to himself. So he stood up and went out of the room turning the light off on his way. Quietly he padded up the stairs and slipped into the empty bed. He was losing her and there wasn't anything he could do about it.

This weekend was her birthday and he was taking her out like he always did. He was taking her to some fancy restaurant in Cincinnati. Where she could dress up and he wouldn't know which silverware to use. Saturday night was his last chance to change whatever it was that lost his wife in the first place.

Even the people in the community were starting to figure out something was wrong with their marriage. He had only talked to Jack and Sam about it and they wouldn't blab his problems to the world. Besides that he never completely told them the whole story. He was sure that Cathryn won't have talked to anyone but Lizy.

Somehow people were figuring out if the pitying looks he was receiving were any indication. But not everyone was like that. Miss Maybelle was almost eager for any scrap of scandal. Every time she saw him she would clutch his arm with her surprisingly strong, fat fingers and ask about Cathryn and how they were getting along. Then she would ask about Sam and say how nice it was for Cathryn to fix him lunch once a week.

Across the road Maybelle sat in the dark watching her neighbor's lights go off. She was almost one hundred percent positive that Cathryn was sleeping on the couch while her husband had the bed. And she would be willing to bet every sweet in the house that the bauble she saw on Cathryn's finger came from Sam.

Other people were starting to wonder now too. Because her insistence that something was going on they started to pay attention. Started to notice the little things she saw from the beginning. They didn't think she was so crazy anymore.

It never occurred to her that some Wednesday she should waddle over to the James house and ring the doorbell and try to catch them. Or call and see if they answer.

She was happy with her speculations about what went on in the two-story Cape Cod once a week. Her face flushed with excitement when she imagined Sam pounding it to Cathryn on the soft mattress in the master bedroom. His muscles would be straining against the orgasm he was saving for the last second. Moaning she would arch her back against him, her nipples hard and slick with his saliva.

A shudder passed through Maybelle's body as she conjured up the images of the two sweat soaked bodies in the tangled sheets. With a sigh she heaved herself off the wildly flowered sofa and walk to her bedroom to face another lonely night.

Personally she didn't know what Cathryn saw in Sam. He was a skinny little shrimp. Why would a woman give up a great big bear of a man for that, she didn't know.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • A Family Affair Ch. 04

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 513 milliseconds