• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Loving Wives
  • /
  • The Ninth Step - Truth Will Out

The Ninth Step - Truth Will Out

123

This story is a follow-on to the story "The Ninth Step" by thecelt. I recommend you read it first or this story will make no sense. It is with his kind permission that this story is being posted.

The original story explored the idea of keeping a secret rather than hurt a spouse with the telling. I respect thecelt's opinion but, as we all know, circumstances can conspire against you.

Also, the wife in the original story seems to have forgotten the old saying that two people can keep a secret as long as one of them is dead.

**********

I must be the unluckiest guy in the world. Two weeks ago my best friend, Jerry, who was going through a 12 step program for his alcoholism told me he'd had sex with my wife. I got drunk off my ass and called my wife, Janet, all kinds of names then had to apologize when she convinced me that Jerry had been drunk, as usual, and had actually passed out in our bed. He'd slept it off and assumed, since he woke in our bed, that they'd had sex. For some reason, one I've never figured out, Janet hadn't told him the truth but begged him not to say anything. Jerry didn't until that damn 12 step program convinced him to confess to the people he'd hurt, me included. I suppose I should have known better since Jerry and Janet hated each other but Jerry was so convincing.

As I said I got seriously drunk and the next morning had to eat crow when I realized I'd falsely accused her. I apologized profusely and she forgave me. Then, after I'd showered, Janet told me that we were going to be parents. I can't tell you how happy I was, we'd been trying for a baby for ever, it seemed. I'd been on a high ever since.

Until today.

Today I got a phone call. It was from a coworker of Janet's, a man named Brian Watson. He told me that he'd heard of the fight I'd had with Jerry and that I was convinced Jerry had lied. I told him that was old news and to stop wasting my time.

"Paul I hate to have to tell you this but Janet isn't the faithful wife you think she is."

"I've already been down this road, Brian, and I'm not playing your game. If that's all you've got I'm done." Before I could hang up Brian continued.

"Don't hang up Paul. Jerry passed out in your bed and stayed the night. I know, because I was there."

"And why were you there?" I asked though I didn't want to know the answer.

"Janet had invited me over because she was pissed at you for going on that trip to Japan. We were just about to get down to business when Jerry started banging on the door. Janet was afraid he'd wake the neighbors so she answered the door. I heard all the commotion and hid in the spare bedroom. When Jerry passed out Janet and I put him to bed and continued our evening in the spare room. We fucked for two hours and had a great time. When I went to the bathroom she must have gotten an attack of conscience or something because she told me she didn't want to do any more, she wanted to make her marriage work, and she couldn't do that if she was having an affair with me. I heard her out and left but I wasn't happy. I'd debated whether to tell you or not but I had no real proof. When I heard about Jerry I knew I could prove I was there because I couldn't know the details about Jerry any other way."

I was pissed but this time I was going to get all the information before I confronted Janet.

"So why tell me now? It's been two years."

"I'm getting married soon and I thought about how I'd feel if I'd been in your place. I'd want to know if my wife cheated on me. I'd want to know so I could decide if I could forgive her or not. Being kept in the dark sucks and I'd want to know. I haven't told Janet anything about talking to you so you can do what you will with this information."

"How many times were you two together?" I needed to know to see if there was a pattern of cheating.

"Just the one time. I wanted more but Janet didn't."

"Well, Brian I can't say thank you for telling me but I can say that I'd better not ever see you because what Jerry got will be mild compared to what I'll do to you!"

"I'll keep that in mind but I'd be careful who you threaten, Paul. You might get more than you bargained for. I'm no skinny wimp like Jerry. But you need to ask yourself, why did she lie about me and her when she had the perfect chance to confess. Goodbye, Paul."

The phone went dead and I just stared at it. The joy I'd been living with these past two weeks died and now I had to live with the knowledge that Janet had cheated on me, for real this time. I believed Brian; he had no reason to lie. I wasn't sure I believed his excuse that he felt guilty now that he was getting married. Still, he was right; why did she lie? She had the chance to confess and clear the air. Even though I'd been drunk I hadn't decided what I was going to do, if anything. I'd gotten drunk to drown my sorrows. I did know that I was going to do one thing different this time. I *wasn't* going to get drunk!

This time I was going to keep my head and confront Janet. I wanted to see what she had to say. The more I thought about it the angrier I became. She'd cheated on me and then she lied about it when I thought it was Jerry. I'd been right I just didn't have the correct players! I didn't get much done that afternoon at work but I wasn't going to leave early. I drove home slowly, breathing deeply to maintain a calm appearance. I needed to surprise Janet with my knowledge and gauge her reaction.

I walked in the door and hung up my coat. Janet was making dinner and she came out and kissed me.

"Hi, Honey! How was your day?"

"I've had better. You know," I said thoughtfully, "I think I should become a priest."

"Why would you do that? You're not even Catholic!"

"Well I must have the kind of face that makes people want to confess. First it was Jerry Geiger and today I got a phone call from someone confessing his sins. I figure it'd be a shame to waste talent like that."

"I'm sorry, Paul, but I'm not following. I thought we had the Jerry situation all settled?"

"Oh we do. I believe you when you say nothing happened with Jerry. It was silly of me to even consider it."

"Okay, so what about this phone call? Who would call you to confess their sins and why?"

"The why I'm not too sure of. I didn't believe his reason. As to whom, it's someone you know."

Janet looked slightly concerned but she didn't know enough to be really worried, yet.

"He's a coworker in your department. Does the name *Brian Watson* ring a bell?" I asked angrily.

Janet's face lost all color and she stumbled back into the couch which she grabbed onto to support her.

"Well? Don't you have anything to say, Janet?"

"Wha... what did he say?" she asked cautiously.

"Oh I'm sure you know Janet? Does two years ago during my Japan trip ring any bells? Does *two hours of sex* in our spare bedroom ring any bells?!" I yelled.

"Oh NO!!!" Janet wailed. "He promised he'd never say anything!"

"Yeah well a guy who'd fuck another man's wife can't be too trustworthy can they!"

I walked over to her and got right in her face. "You fucking whore! You had the gall to make me into the bad guy for thinking you'd ever cheat on me when all I did was get who fucked you wrong!"

Janet leaned back, trying to get away from me and trembled. I was on a roll so I let her have it.

"You must have thought you'd dodged the biggest bullet in the history of the world when I told you what Jerry had said. You decided to lie to me when you could have confessed. I got drunk because I was so hurt by what you'd done but I think I'd have given you a chance to explain. Now I'm so pissed at you that I don't want to see your face!" I walked over to where her purse lay on the table and opened it. I removed all her credit cards and her cell phone. The credit cards I was going to destroy later but the cell phone I threw on the floor, smashing it in a million pieces.

I threw the purse at her, disgusted. "Get out, Janet. Get the fuck out. I don't ever want to see your face. You were going to let me go on living a lie, laughing behind my back that I'd got it all wrong and you'd gotten away with it. GET OUT! You make me sick!"

I stomped upstairs to the bedroom, locked the door and flopped down on the bed, exhausted.

It wasn't long before I heard a timid knock on the door.

"Paul," Janet said tearfully. "Can't we talk about this? I love you!"

"Yeah, right, Janet. I'm glad you don't hate me if this is what you can do to someone you 'love'. Why aren't you gone, Janet?"

"I-I have nowhere to go!" she wailed.

"Not my problem, Janet. You should have thought about that before you brought another man into our home, into *my* bed! Didn't you think about what I'd do if you cheated? No matter how bad things got between us I *never* thought about fucking another woman! What really frosts me is that you had the chance to confess and you lied to me. I suppose I can understand not saying something when I didn't have a fucking clue what you'd done but once the idea was in my head you should have confessed, damn it!"

I got up off the bed; it was ridiculous to have this argument through a locked door. I threw the door open, surprising her such that she jumped back. She probably thought I was going to attack her.

"I told you to get out, Janet. You seem to think we have something to discuss. We don't. You cheated then you hid it and then you outright lied about it. We have *nothing* more to say to each other." I walked up to her until we were inches apart. "If you're not out of this house in fifteen seconds I'll throw your cheating ass out the door myself! ONE! TWO!..."

Janet took the hint, finally, and about ran down the steps. Before she got to the door I called to her.

"When you find a place to stay let me know and I'll drop your shit off! Leave a message on the machine because I don't want to talk to you ever again!"

The door slammed and the cars wheels screamed as she backed out of the driveway. I went to the kitchen and pulled out the box of extra large trash bags. I started at her closet, moved to her dresser and finished in the bathroom. By the time I was finished I had ten bags of her shit. I started throwing them over the banister but stopped myself before I threw the bag containing her makeup and perfumes. That one I walked down the stairs and set on top of the pile.

I wandered into the kitchen and found the meal she'd been preparing. Luckily she'd turned the burners off when she'd come to greet me earlier so I finished cooking and sat down to eat.

A lot of people wouldn't have much appetite in my position but I guess I was better adjusted or numb, whichever it was I ate heartily. I watched TV and went to bed early. I didn't sleep to well; I tossed and turned all night. I called into work, telling them I'd be in late.

I did the usual things one does at times like this. I closed the joint accounts and opened separate ones. I cancelled all the joint credit cards and notified my creditors that Janet was no longer authorized to make charges.

I looked up divorce lawyers on the ABA website to see who in our area had a good rating. I found a woman who had an appointment open and I went in to talk. I wasn't sure about a divorce at this point but I wanted to know my options. I put her on retainer, just in case.

I went into work and tried to make myself useful. I failed. I was so pissed at Janet that every few minutes my thoughts shifted back to her and her lies and I'd get even angrier. I managed to avoid most people for the remainder of the day and, gratefully, quitting time arrived before I really lost it. I started to drive home when my eye caught sight of the bar I'd stopped at the first time I'd thought Janet had cheated. I pulled in to the 'Camel's Hump' and walked to the back of the bar. I found the same table and waited for the waitress.

"What can I get for you, good looking?" May asked.

"Hello, May, long time no see," I said with a smile.

"Do I know you?" May asked cautiously.

"I was in here two weeks ago and got drunk off my ass because my wife had cheated. My wife, Janet, came to get me and you helped her get me to the car."

"I remember now," May said. "Are things okay at home?"

"Define 'okay'," I said sarcastically. "My darling wife lied to me about who she'd slept with. She came here acting all holier than thou because I told her what Jerry had said. She convinced me that Jerry had been wrong, which he was, but what she didn't tell me was she'd been in bed with a different guy when Jerry had arrived!"

"How do you know this?"

"The other guy. He called yesterday and told me everything. He knew details that only someone who was there would know. I think he wanted to get back at Janet for not continuing the affair."

"How long was the affair?"

"Once, at least with this guy. She tells me he was the only one but I'm sure you'll understand why I have problems believing anything she says."

"I don't know about that," May said skeptically. "I hope you don't mind my asking, but why are you here?"

"To be honest, I'm not sure. I saw the sign and decided to stop in."

"You're not gonna get drunk again, are you?"

"No, I learned my lesson last time. I'm too old for that crap. How about one Black Label then I'm out of here." I said with a smile.

May left and returned with my drink. "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" May asked.

"No, go right ahead."

"What are you gonna do now? I hope you're not gonna let one mistake ruin your marriage."

"I don't know what I'm going to do, May, but it wasn't one mistake. She cheated on me but then, when she had the perfect chance to come clean, she lied. Not only did she lie she made me feel like I was impugning her integrity by calling her a cheater! She made me feel like an idiot for even thinking she'd cheated when the only thing I'd gotten wrong was her partner!" I chuckled sadly.

"She probably didn't want to hurt you. If, as she said, it was only the one time maybe she truly regretted it and planned to take the secret to her grave. She seemed like she really loved you when she was here," May said as she patted my hand.

"Maybe she thinks she loves me but now that I know I feel like I'm being laughed at behind my back. When I told her she'd cheated with Jerry she had to have thought she'd gotten away with it. If she truly regretted her actions she should have told me the truth! I can't abide a liar!"

"Do you feel better now that you know?"

"No, I don't but I didn't find out from my 'loving' wife, I found out from her lover. How do I know that she doesn't have other lovers out there just waiting to make that call? How can I ever know? She lied to me with a straight face! I don't know what's true and what's not true any more, at least where she's concerned." I took a gulp of my drink and put the glass back down. "I can't trust her, May. That's the bottom line."

"I think you're wrong, I think you can tell when she's telling the truth if you want to but right now you don't want to." May stood up then continued. "Think about this some more before you do something stupid." She walked away leaving me to finish my drink alone.

**********

I walked into the house and immediately saw that the light on the answering machine was flashing. I wasn't ready to deal with anybody at the moment so I went into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. I grabbed a coke and took my sandwich into the living room to watch the news. After I'd finished my dinner I shut off the TV. I couldn't put it off any longer so I walked over to the machine and pressed the button.

The first message was from Janet.

"Paul, I'm staying at my parents for a while. I'm letting you know as you requested... Please, Paul, I love you! Forgive me!" The message ended with Janet sniffling.

The next two calls were from her parents, asking me to reconsider my position and to think about the baby. I hadn't thought about the baby once and now I was even more conflicted. If Janet could lie to me as boldly as she'd done for the past two years how was I to know if she wasn't still having affairs? Could the baby be someone elses?

I turned and saw the bags of Janet's stuff in the middle of the floor. First things first, if she was living with mommy and daddy she'd need something to wear. I started hauling bags out to my car. Ten minutes later I was on the road to my in-laws.

I pulled into the driveway and started throwing the bags onto the porch when Bill, my father-in-law, opened the door.

"What the hell are you doing, Paul?" he said angrily.

"I'm bringing Janet her clothes and things, Bill. Didn't she tell you I'd be over?"

"She told me what you'd said but I didn't think you'd be such a jerk!"

"Yeah, that's me, Paul the cuckold jerk!" I said as I continued to throw bags at the porch. I got to the bag with her bathroom stuff and handed it to Bill. "I'd be careful with that bag unless you want your yard to smell like a whorehouse." I got back in the car and was about to leave when Bill poked his head into my window.

"Can't we talk about this, Paul?" he asked. "Janet's a wreck. She's done nothing but cry since she got here. She's sorry, Paul, can't you forgive her?"

"Tell me something, Bill," I looked him right in the eye, "if your wife had an affair and when confronted about it lied because you'd gotten the man wrong and made you feel like a jerk for even thinking she'd ever cheat, how would you feel when you found out the truth, from her lover no less?" Bill had the grace to look embarrassed. "I thought so. Look, she's your daughter and you have to stand by her, I understand that. I don't trust her, Bill. If I can't trust my wife what kind of marriage do I have? The thing is, if she can lie about one affair how many others have there been? She's a damn good liar, Bill. Maybe you can get the truth out of her." I backed out of the driveway and drove away.

**********

Janet walked into the office and saw the object of her ire sitting at his desk. She walked over, looking at him with barely concealed contempt. "Brian, could I see you in my office please?" Janet said sharply. She turned on her heel, leaving Brian to follow. Janet sat behind her desk, fuming, as she waited for Brian.

Brian Watson walked into the office, an innocent expression on his face. "Yes, Janet? You wanted to see me?" Brian said.

"Close the door please."

Brian did as requested, sat down in the chair across from Janet with his arms crossed in front of him, waiting.

"Why, Brian?" Janet asked curiously.

"Why what, Janet?"

"Why did you tell my husband about us?" Janet said frustrated.

"I thought Paul deserved to know," Brian said smugly.

"But we had an agreement!" Janet cried.

"No! You made a decision and I had to abide by it. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. The difference is that now I have finally been able to take advantage of my knowledge."

"But I told you that I still loved Paul and I wanted to make my marriage work! You and I had fun that night but I realized I'd made a mistake. I trusted you not to say anything to my husband and you betrayed me!" Janet said angrily.

"Look who's talking about betrayal! That's rich. You fuck some guy in your office because you're pissed off at your husband and you say I've betrayed *you*?" Brian said with a laugh.

"Look, Janet, let's cut to the chase here. You pursued me. You threw your sexy little ass in my face for over a month. You asked me out to lunch for weeks and flirted with me the whole time. Then that night you told me that your husband was in Japan and you wanted to go out. We went to dinner, then dancing after. You told me to come in for coffee and started taking off your dress as soon as you got in the house. You dragged me upstairs to *your* bedroom, and if Jerry hadn't interrupted us we'd have fucked right there. Instead we fucked for *two* hours before you suddenly grew a conscience or something and asked me to leave. So don't pull the 'I betrayed you' card. You're just as guilty as I am."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Loving Wives
  • /
  • The Ninth Step - Truth Will Out

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 16 milliseconds