• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • A Thousand Years Ch. 04

A Thousand Years Ch. 04

123

Mel sat in the low eaves of the bedroom chamber, brushing her hair gently with a marble comb. She sat on the cold hard stone of the royal chair, with a mirror that Vladimir had ordered for her in front of her, its edges gilded with silver. She yawned droopily into the mirror.

"Good morning," Vlad's soft, smooth voice entered the room as he approached Mel's side. "Did you sleep well?"

"Of course, you were there, weren't you?" Mel smiled laughingly. She lifted a pale, round hand to smooth down the sides of her mahogany tresses, and Vlad stared at her, lost for a second in her vision, her image. Yes, he was there, it was last night, the most beautiful night; he would remember it forever. How they had lain in each others' arms after the pleasure from their activities washed over them, the night ebbing over his consciousness, but him wanting to keep it away forever. Vlad felt a constriction in his throat, but he knew the time had finally come to ask her the question.

"Well, three days feels like the blink of an eye, doesn't it." He wondered to himself. "Your choice is made, I assume, by this point? Just let me know, Mel dearest, whatever it may be." He averted his eyes, the pain making him cringe in fear of the words that would escape her lips next. The room was silent for a second.

"Yes," Melanie's voice was like a feather, but hit Vlad like a brick. Yes? Yes, she was leaving? Or yes, she had decided she wouldn't leave?

"Whatever pleases you, my love," Vlad's voice tightened on the last word, but he meant it so that it couldn't help but choke through his coolly-controlled demeanor.

"Oh, Vlad, I'm sorry." Mel turned away from him, her head down in front of the mirror, and her figure bent in apology. She couldn't look at him. "I'm so sorry. But I really can't stay anymore." The past three days, after Mel had escaped Vyeila's clutches, Vlad had had to take precautions every minute, every hour. She was transported to the Duke's residence in the Northern wing of the palace, where even Vyeila wouldn't dare intrude, as he was the royal guest of honor. Then, when dusk fell, Vladimir would bring Melanie back to his room, where she'd sleep. Yet, as usual, to Mel's frustration and Vlad's superior self-control, nothing had occurred for Mel of the nature of that most intimate act that Vlad would never let her undertake, at least not with a vampire prince. Vyeila had been furious, and Vlad's days were spent between two activities, keeping the royal court from suspecting him of being with Melanie and keeping himself from confronting Vyeila for the time she'd kept Mel locked up in the potions room.

However, Melanie had seen the worry wear Vladimir down. He couldn't sleep well, for fear someone would burst into their chambers, and besides spending nights watching over Melanie, he spent the day conducting all methods of plans to keep her presence a hidden secret, safe from discovery. If this was to be the remainder of their days, then wouldn't it be better for Vlad too if Mel left? Mel had debated the matter endlessly in her brain, but upon hearing Vlad speak with Lorenze the third night, their voices hushed outside the chamber doors, she'd caught whiff of "safety" and "fight" and "risk it all." Vlad alone, Vlad against an army of vampires? No thanks. Mel finally decided she'd leave. With him standing so close to her right now, his sculpted figure casting a shadow on the floor, she was able to fight the lump rising in her throat. But once he had returned her to "her lands," what would happen then?

Mel fought back the thoughts, and taking one deep breath before wiping away the tear smudges, she turned back to Vlad. "I"m too afraid." Mel looked straight at Vlad's navy blue eyes, not wanting him to think any part of her leaving had to do with his own troubles, for he'd deny them as soon as he felt any hint, he'd sacrifice any part of his own physical and mental health for her.

Vlad nodded. His eyes seemed to gradually dim in the moonlight, and his head turned slightly to the side, away from Mel's face. "I understand." His voice was barely a whisper. Vlad didn't want Mel to see any part of the ensuing chaos that now raged within him, so he strode over to the window, the moonbeams illuminating his tall, lean form. There was no sound, only the chilly rustle of the curtains as a midnight breeze blew into the chamber.

"I love you," Mel said inaudibly, only her lips moving, needing to form the words. She lifted her fingers to her lips, and gently blew a kiss towards Vlad's stoic back, his unaware figure. The imaginary move was such a pale shade of the warm caresses and burning kisses they'd shared in the dark of the night. It was almost as if such displays of love were a last salute to what could have been, what had consumed the hearts of both, until they decided the other was too good to suffer, too good to not be free. Thus, it was an act of self sacrifice to leave but a painful act nonetheless. They stayed, her sitting, him standing, until the first light of dawn broke, and it was time, finally, for the separation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vlad seated Melanie into the coach, Duke Lorenze on her right. He'd trusted his good friend with the journey, as flying was too dangerous with possible interception by Vyeila's minions likely along the way. The Duke's royal chariot would be safe from robbery or intrusion, and it would also be least suspicious to have Vlad participating in festivities at the palace while Mel left for safety.

"Bye, Vladimir," Melanie said in an even tone. "Take care of yourself. Be good." She forced a smile, wanting him to think her the most selfish creature on Earth. "I'll take care of myself too." She waved him off, as he backed away from the carriage, his lips unable to move, and his face frozen in the same expression it had been in after she'd made her decision. His figure, though tall and strong, seemed suddenly fragile in the morning wind, and his silver-blonde hair, blown wildly about by the buffeting chill, reminded Mel oddly of falling rye, a ripe harvest that was withered by the cold winter wind.

As the coach drove away, and Mel looked back out of the carriage, she saw Vladimir standing in the same spot, his feet frozen, and his face tired and defeated. He still didn't wave, or say a word, but his eyes were no longer looking at her or the cart, but rather seemed to gaze at a lost world beyond her view, until he disappeared into a tiny dot in the distance.

"Here, Melanie, take these gloves, it's dreadfully chilly," Duke Lorenze mustered up some cheer, and handed Mel a pair of soft, warm gloves. "We'll be there soon. I'll let you know once we've crossed the border, and you won't have to worry so much."

Mel smiled. If only she still had any strength left in her heart to worry for herself. No matter how she tried to focus on the snowy scenery outside the carriage window, her mind kept drawing back to one figure, framed by deadened trees and icy snow all around him, his wild platinum hair blowing about his ears, shielding his saddened, heartbroken face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vladimir stormed through the dark gates in the night. His cloak whipped behind him as he left the palace grounds, charging into the forest, wild and untamed, that bordered the royal palace. His eyes were blinded by the stinging cold wind that tossed his mane back and forth, but he didn't care. All he wanted, needed right now was to give himself over to the cold, to numb himself by racing across the snow, his vampiric nature taking over his senses. He crashed into the trees, at high speed, as he flew up into the air, the shrieking sounds of a thousand needles grating against the night sky.

It was in the middle of the forest, and he wanted to roar at the nothingness around him, to ask for some peace, something to sedate him from this pain. His heart pounded to the rhythym of her name. Crunch, deep imprints left on the snow as he landed -- Melanie. He took off again, circling the tree tops, whirling through the dark black vortex of tree canopies as the boughs snapped under his fists -- Melanie.

The night air felt like silk against his skin as Vladimir glided past the frozen leaves, landing finally in a clearing where dead pine needles littered the ground. It was silent all around him, and he found himself, palms down on the ground, his head lowered and his silver mane covering his face. Melanie -- she was safe. She was gone. That should be all that mattered. His fists clenched. That was what he would need to tell himself now.

It was all over. His face turned back towards the palace. He had never been able to escape his fate, try as he had, how he'd tried! It was over now. Vlad lifted himself from the ground in one smooth motion, and his silent footsteps took him back to the gate, where he would willingly lock himself back to that dark prison, and the raven-haired mistress waiting for him within.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melanie had returned to her hometown, and, with her savings, took the train to the city, where she now worked at a local coffee shop, waitressing and doing other odd jobs around the cafe. She had refused when Vladimir had tried to give her gold jewelry and pearl brooches, shining pieces of royal treasure the likes of which Mel was sure the city of Philadelphia had never seen. He wanted her to live well, to enrich her with gifts that were but drops in the ocean of wealth that was the Vampiric bloodline's fortune. Melanie couldn't possibly accept. She was leaving him; that was already bad enough; to take money (or the equivalent once those jewels were sold) from Vladimir as well? It would have made her feel horribly undignified to depart like that. She had pushed them away with almost an angry look in her eyes. Vladimir interpreted it as her move to break from him completely, and silently, had let the matter go. He didn't notice Mel's stinging eyes, as she watched Vlad walk out, her tears of sorrow that he loved her enough to worry about her future even just when she'd announced she'd be leaving him forever.

Now she was living in an apartment with two other girls, an Asian girl named Jean, and a redhead named Kathry. Jean was out most of the time, she was studying for a pharmaceutical degree, but Kathry was an artist, who worked at a clothing shop in the stockrooms during the day to pay for her endeavors. Kathry was convinced it would only be a matter of time until she completed her grand masterpiece-- her piece de resistance, that would land her in the annals of art history, like Da Vinci or Van Gogh. It had been several months, and spending time with the other girls, Melanie had managed to quench much of the depression that had set in after her departure from Vladimir.

Melanie was currently looking through the papers, seeing if there were any bachelor or vocational programs that could be completed in two years. She didn't see the use in applying to any prestigious universities. Wasn't the point of becoming an adult to learn useful skills that could be applied to the workforce? She didn't need a Harvard degree to do that. Mel was sure that as long as she found something she was genuinely interested in, and applied herself to it, she would be successful in her career. An ad for veterinarian school caught her eye. She'd always loved animals, and seemed to be a natural with biology in high school; why not?

Kathry burst in the door at that moment, with her arms full of groceries.

"Hey, Mells, can you help me with these?" Kathry's hazel eyes were shining with excitement, and she tossed her short, bouncy red curls to the side as she ran around the kitchen.

"Sure," Melanie got up, laying aside the newspaper for later. "Why'd you buy so much food for today?"

"I went to a meeting with the new director of the Langsford exhibit in the new Galleria today," Kathry handed Mel a potato, and started peeling one herself. "What do you think about some home-style fries?" Mel nodded. "So anywho, they want to display my experimental piece in their gallery at the opening next weekend, you know, the one I painted while doing a somersault?"

"Yes, how could I forget?" Mel joked. "You're definitely pioneering the next artistic movement, painting with gymnastics, you should be painting at the Olympics." Kathry stuck her tongue out.

"So I decided to celebrate," Kathry continued. "I also got some champagne. Champagne with potato chips, Marilyn-Monroe style, mais non?" They continued their peeling, chatting all the while. Jean had gone to her parents for the weekend, and Kathry and Mel were planning an all-night oldies session, watching the best of the silent films that they had collected at various Blockbusters around town.

After dinner was finished, the two girls settled down in front of the couch. They opened the champagne, and Mel toasted Kathry, congratulating her on her success, just the beginning to more future conquests, she was sure. They popped in Sunset Boulevard, and began watching.

Night fell over the city, and the soft gleam of lit apartments on the opposite of the street sent a slight light through the windows. Mel was just beginning to doze off on the wings of sleep when there came a loud knocking on their apartment door. Kathry was so engrossed in the current scene that she didn't even notice. Rubbing her eyes, Mel got up to open the door. She pulled open the heavy door, and stood there, face to face with none other than Gorv.

Gorv raised a palm up, almost as in a friendly gesture, but Melanie could respond with nothing more than an empty stare and her mouth open in surprise.

"Excuse me, Gorv," Duke Lorenze stepped out from behind the massive vampire's back, and Mel's shoulders lowered in relief.

"What's going on?" Kathry was standing behind Melanie now, and her voice caught Mel by surprise. She whirled around to see Kathry's eyebrows raised in question. Gorv certainly wasn't someone you expected to see on your doorstep in the middle of the night.

"Um, wow, where do I begin?" Mel wondered aloud. "Well, first of all, come inside if you please, Duke. But why are you here, and Gorv?" Melanie turned back to the Duke, who was at the moment taken aback by the sight of Kathry, her hands on her hips, and eyes fixed on Gorv's imposing stature.

"This is urgent, Melanie, we don't have time to talk," The Duke spoke rapidly. Gorv, standing next to him, nodded in agreement, and Melanie looked at the two in shock. Since when had they become best buddies? "If you don't mind, we'll be leaving right now." The Duke nodded apologetically at Kathry, and reached forward to pull on Mel's arm.

"Hmm, two big men trying to whisk my roommate away without a single word of explanation?" Kathry now stepped in front of Mel, blocking the Duke. "Why, I think I do mind. Mel, do you know these people?" She gestured at Gorv apprehensively.

"Well, yes, but, it's a long story," Melanie shrugged her shoulders. She bit her lip, wondering if she should tell the truth.

"I'm leaving," Gorv shouldered past the group crudely, "Or it will all be too late. He headed straight towards the window, and pushing the creaking panes aside, without regarding Kathry's presence, and lifted off into the night, a swarm of massive bats at his sides, guiding his flight.

"Oh, my--"Kathry was now the one with her mouth wide open. Melanie turned to her to explain, seeing how there was no avoiding it now.

"He's a vampire," Mel couldn't think of any mundane or normal way to tell the fact. The Duke stopped her, and, clutched onto both of the girls' arms, led them towards where Gorv had just left.

"That idiot!" The Duke shook his head at the open window. "I'm so sorry, ladies, but now that you're both aware of the situation, I'm afraid we can't postpone leaving any longer. There will be time for explanations once we get there, but now that your friend (he nodded towards Kathry) is aware of the vampires, we must all go together."

"Just you wait a second here," Kathry pulled herself loose from the Duke's grasp. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Wait, Gorv said it will all be too late," Mel suddenly realized what she'd heard. She turned towards Lorenze. "What does he mean? Why's Gorv here?" Kathry now had her arms crossed in front of her chest. Lorenze's brows were furrowed in anxiety, but he sighed in desperation.

"It's Vladimir, Mel," He looked at Mel, who suddenly felt a cold chill wash over her. "He's in danger. Vyeila has him completely trapped in her plans, and tonight, well, tonight might just be his last night. Gorv is here because Vyeila discharged him from service after she'd discovered his error in slacking on guarding you in the potions room." Mel gasped, and stared at the Duke, hearing the words over and over, threatening to engulf her completely. She felt her feet weaken, and staggered to grasp onto the window ledge. Kathry rushed forward to help her.

"Does Kathry have to go?" Mel looked at the Duke.

"Yes, I'm afraid so," He raised his hands in defeat. "After what Gorv did, she's not going to be able to be kept safe, once the other vampires are aware of her knowledge."

"Kathry, I'm so sorry, but you have to trust in me, just this once." Melanie turned towards her friend, her eyes pleading and her hand trembling. "He, well, my" (she'd never mentioned Vladimir and didn't know what to call him now that they'd been separated) "Well, someone very important to me is in danger. And we have to go find him right now. You have to come too, or you won't be safe. Just trust me, the Duke is not dangerous, he's here to help me." She gestured towards Lorenze, the words having spilled out in a rush. Kathry processed the info, her eyes open as her brain raced.

"All right," Kathry didn't even know what else to say at this point, "Let's go. You'd better explain this to me later."

Lorenze rushed them down the stairs now, and into a carriage waiting outside. The driver wore a hood and his face was shaded, but Melanie was pretty sure this was no ordinary driver -- it was a fellow vampire, who'd come with Lorenze and Gorv. As they drove out of the town, the cart veered into a dark little alleyway. The time to take flight, into the dark sky, had come. As Mel again felt the cold wind whip at her face, she was reminded of how she had first met Vladimir, and unwillingly, the tears dotted her cheeks one by one. She felt a pressure on her hand, and turned to see Kathry smiling at her, her eyes brave even though her other hand clutched tightly onto the Duke's coat, as they were all lifted by the vampire driver.

"Thanks," Melanie mouthed, and was thankful that, this time, she had Kathry with her to deal with the dangers. This time, she thought, she would save Vladimir, and maybe...it wouldn't be too late.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dim light of the waning moon reflected into the ceremonial chamber, as Vladimir sat upon the throne-- his father's throne, soon to be his-- with both hands resting on the marble shoulders. His face was as cold and lifeless as the rock he sat on, and his eyes were dulled with the stare of apathy. She approached him, her hands reaching out for him as she walked towards him from the back.

Vladimir didn't turn. He didn't have to even look at her to know who was approaching. As she neared him, his skin, of its own accord, shivered into goosebumps, and her silent footsteps were like a warning of imminent attack. Two long nails rested on either side of his neck, and behind them, Vyeila leaned forward, her straight onyx hair a heavy curtain that fell to both sides of her face. As her hands clutched tighter onto his broad shoulders, Vladimir's eyes narrowed, but he still didn't usher a word.

Vyeila's breath was on his neck, and he felt her inhale his scent. Vyeila's dark eyes creased as she concentrated, her wide nostrils flaring at the strong aroma of the royal cloth Vladimir now wore combined with his own scent of ancient wine, the wine he'd sedated himself with these past unending days since Melanie's departure. Vyeila whispered into his ear, her voice soft, almost silent, but so menacing, a feminine iciness beneath the tone, like a seductive snake that dances to kill. Her fingers traced down around his robe, and her dark red lips were right at the edge of his shoulder.

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • A Thousand Years Ch. 04

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 173 milliseconds