• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • A Guy to Love

A Guy to Love

CHAPTER 1

A new car, great apartment and a law job in her uncle's firm with good promotional prospects... it seemed Billie Mann had everything. Well nobody ever has everything. Top of Billie's wish list was: 'A guy to love who loves me'.

A honey in height, shape and looks the green-eyed brunette with an arresting laugh -- in a bar it attracted guys from forty paces -- she was sure to get her wish eventually. But eventually wasn't good enough; Billie wanted him now.

There were plenty of tall and lean guys with a square jaw, curly brown hair and blue eyes -- huge numbers in fact. The trouble was they mostly were all married or gay. The near desperate Billie focused on the word 'mostly'. Was it possible she could find a guy who had it all and hadn't been snapped up?

Surely out there in the throngs of bachelors with ugly tats, who didn't wash or naturally smelt offensively, who ate food over-done with garlic and onions, and washed their hair twice a year and had something against stepping into a barber's shop or cropping facial fuzz there must by a guy matching the profile Billie wanted to make babies with and raise them together, harmoniously and with great love.

A guy with garlic and onion breath, unshaved and unwashed, bald and hugely ugly broke her day-dreaming by colliding with her heavily and then having the cheek to say, "Watch where you're going you dumb broad."

"Watch where you're going and watch your ugly mouth," Billie spat, believing that would scare him away. But no, he looked her up and down and said, "Let's duck down an alley for ten minutes."

Billie opened her handbag wide and calmly palmed her .38 S&W model revolver. "And what were you saying?"

The guy was ten yards away and running, not looking back.

Back at the office she complained to Alice Black, a female attorney in her, section where were all the good unattached guys.

Alice listened thoughtfully and then said, "Billie, why don't you come with me after work tomorrow evening. I'm going to my brother's apartment for a drink."

Billie knew it was all wrong. Alice had said as they took a cab to the apartment her brother's name was Zane. Who in their right mind would name their son Zane and who would want to introduce a boyfriend as Zane?

Further, Alice had said Zane was on a bit of a low because his girlfriend had dumped him. Oh yeah, so why? She thought it would be too rude to ask Alice the reason for the breakup. Too much onion and garlic eating, no shaving and soiled underpants left on the bathroom floor?

"You'll like him," Alice confided.

Oh yeah?

"Come in and pour your own drink," said Mr Surly, unlocking the door by remote. Billie thought what a great start.

"I have someone with me, Her name is Billie."

"What an odd name."

Billie, smarting, called, "A bit like Zane don't you think?"

Alice dropped the martini mix bottle, probably in shock at Billie's audacity. Billie caught the bottle inches off the floor tiles."

"God you're quick. Thanks. Being that quick you ought to be able to find your own guy."

"Oh yeah," Billie laughed thinking that was very rude Alice.

A guy came in dressed in cerise silk boxers and his appearance caught Billie's breath because she was looking at Mr Right and even better his chest was almost hairless.

"Jesus," he said staring at his guest.

Alice asked Zane to hand over his bag of washing and to go and get half decent.

"Zane Black, this is Billie Mann. I work with her."

"You're pretty and sure don't look like a Mann."

"I'm sure I can't say the same about you Zane."

Zane did a double take and Alice said, "Billie probably has the quickest mind and sharpest tongue of all the attorneys in our firm. Do you require me to translate the meaning of what she just said?"

"That I'm not pretty and I do look like a man."

"Zane's an attorney and also specializes in divorce like we do Billie. He works for Marconi and Patullo Law."

"Ah a handsome attorney with the sensitivity to handle divorce?"

Zane said, "I was placed there awaiting a vacancy to come up in company law."

He walked away growling, "Piranha-like women wanting to strip the guys who've done all the hard work."

"Did I say sensitive?"

Alice and Billie clutched each other, giggling.

"What do you think?"

"He looks okay. Could be a bit surly though."

"That's true, especially if he'd over-indulged in alcohol."

Zane returned in pants and a smart shirt, his hair brushed.

Alice gulped down her drink. "Well I'm off. Billie is available for a date if you're interested."

Goodbyes were exchanged and Alice left the other two staring at one another.

When the door closed Zane said, "I was running hot for three months on this woman who's just left me. She dumped me, without an explanation."

"Did you ask?"

"No, I'm having nothing to do with the bitch. She wasted three months of my life -- all those flowers and presents and the fucking. For what? It's all wasted."

"Did you not find satisfaction in being with her?"

"You're speaking to me like an attorney speaking to a client."

Billie smiled and said that surely was not surprising.

"She's such a bitch?"

"Are all women bitches to you Zane?"

"When I'm mad with them, yeah. Do you want to be taken out and fed or can we fuck now."

"Oh I'm sorry Mr Black. I must go. In all probability I'd be better off being on my own tonight."

"What?"

"Goodbye Mr Black."

Zane stared at Billie's back as she left.

Next morning at the office Alice said, "I hear my introduction wasn't a success."

"You surprised me at leaving so early but no, the introduction was okay."

"When I checked, Zane said he suggested going out for a meal and you went all hoity-toity."

"Is that what he said?"

"Yes."

"Well in fact, to quote him accurately, Zane said, 'Do you want to be take out to dinner or can we fuck now?"

"What?"

"You want me to repeat it?"

"No I was just taken by surprise. The thick-headed mutant. I know he's still seething, his pride being hurt, but he had no right..."

"Alice, leave it. As with the woman who's just dumped him he'll think I'm a bitch."

"I want it to happen. I'll call him to send flowers."

"No, please Alice. Do nothing."

As Alice went through the doorway one of the receptionists was waiting to enter with a bouquet of flowers.

Alice poked her head back in and smiled, "He's realized his grave mistake."

"But too late," Billie said, wiping the smile from Alice's face.

Billie and Alice went out three times together when her boyfriend was out of town and they enjoyed that socializing. Zane was not discussed.

More that a month after the most unforgettable meeting socially with Zane Black she found herself scheduled to meet him across the negotiating table. Zoë Muller in their department was down to handle the action but her mother had died and she'd flown to Europe for the funeral.

She called Zane. "We are to meet again."

"Yes, I've just been advised. Please be gentle with me. I have a client with me so must go. Look forward to seeing you again."

God he almost sounded like a gentleman, Billie thought. Or was he being deceptive?

It was the kind of divorce the media loved but with both sides attempting to reach settlement out of court it was likely the media would be left to dig for scraps. Billie resolved to talk to nobody about it apart from her head of department.

The petitioner, Arnold Gerald Glass was seeking divorce on the grounds of irreconcilable differences from Shirley Vera Glass also know publicly as Stephanie Glass, a hugely successful TV presenter of the long running show, 'Tonight's Celebrity'. Billie had fifteen minutes talking with Arnold before they went into the meeting.

As a television talent 'scout' Arnold have found Stephanie (aka Shirley Glass) in the lead of a comedy play staged in his neighborhood. He recognized her talent and paid for her to attend private drama coaching for a year and then found her a position as a weather reader. She then advanced into news reader and as Stephanie's agent Arnold paid for her to attend TV coaching that turned her into a co-presenter in a game show and from there her career took off. All through Arnold had received the industry standard fees as her agent but that arrangement ceased eight years ago when he and Stephanie married.

"I see on Zoë's file there are no children. Stephanie wants the house and you are asking for $12 million as settlement and the other side is offering $7.5 million. Without too much trouble I could get that figure to $10 million. I want you to tell me your bottom line. I won't divulge it or record it."

"Zoë asked that same question but I refused to say."

"Arnold, I won't attempt to bleed blood for you unless I have that figure. All I'll offer is competent representation."

Arnold rubbed his chin.

"Arnold, look at it this way, what have you to lose?"

He whispered, "Twenty mil."

"Whoosh. That's an uphill battle."

"Our combined assets total almost $60 million." Arnold said, adding as shown correctly on the full disclosure documents. "My direct contribution in cash and other assets is valued at a shade over $2 million plus half the official appraisal of our apartment at $11.7 million."

"Is there anything else you can tell me to squeeze for more money? As it stands you are well short of hard assets to reach that $20 million but of course we claim part of Stephanie, whom I note is forty-one and has future earnings almost guaranteed but the other side will argue hard against bringing in future earnings although a judge would wear that providing the claim appears reasonable."

"We don't want the carve up discussed in court. Only ratified. Are you and Stephanie still on good terms."

"Yes."

"Then why are you divorcing her?"

Arnold remained tight-lipped.

"Come on Arnold, I need to know."

"Because I found for two years she's had a toy boy and won't give him up. He's twenty-seven."

"Has that fact been openly disclosed?"

"No."

"Okay, let's go. We've kept them waiting long enough. By the way, remind me how old are you. I know it's in the file."

"Forty-one."

"Oh, you can't be my toy boy. I'm thirty-two."

Arnold's laugh was forced.

As they were walking out Billie said, "Arnold -- this is all about money. Be polite to Stephanie and her attorney by all means but show now affection, no sympathy no sign of being negotiable. If you want your target amount you'll have to work hard and sweat for it."

"Yes Billie."

"Right, and don't you forget it."

* * *

They walked in and Stephanie, Zane and one of his two support juniors looked pointedly at their watches.

"I apologize for lateness but I need to be briefed by my client. This is Arnold Glass, the petitioner. I'm Billie Mann, filling in for Zoë who's gone to Germany for her mother's funeral."

"Apology accepted Billie. Thanks. This is the respondent, Shirley Glass, better known as Stephanie Glass and prefers to be called Stephanie. On my immediate left is my associate Belinda Jordan and beyond her is my junior Maria Marconi. Our previous meeting the respective claims were tabled and it was emphasized both parties want the settlement achieved over this table. Would you care to open Billie?"

"Thank you. My client has revised his claim. He believes a payment of $25 million cash would be a fair and equitable settlement for him to agree to continue with the dissolution of this marriage without proceeding with his claim any further. My client wishes to conclude these negotiations amicably and retain the goodwill he believes he has with Mrs Glass."

"Grasping for the exaggerated payment of $25 million is greed, bereft of goodwill," Stephanie almost spat.

"Who launched your career and nurtured it Mrs Glass?"

"Arnold did and that is not in dispute. He received fees commiserate with all his hard work and in recognition of the deployment of his skills."

Billie said. "Arnold, what is your reply to that?"

"What Stephanie said is true. We know the beginning of my involvement in launching Stephanie's career, and when payment of fees ceased, What I am claiming is the value of my influence on Stephanie's ongoing career and where is the compensation as her husband for supporting her and providing the stable home environment and encouragement and professional advice to assist her, all those hours and hours..."

"Thank your Arnold. Zane?"

"Arnold, you must understand your involvement in Stephanie's career ended when you married her," Zane said smoothly.

Billie said, "That is disputed."

"Arnold you cannot continue claiming reimbursement for services you have not rendered."

"Arnold is claiming entitlement for the money-earning ability of his wife as her husband, and entitlement that is recognized in law and applying whether it is husband to wife as the minority partner or wife to husband as the minority partner."

"Well tell me counsel, where does this money chiseling charade end?"

"We find those words, Mr Black, to be insulting and quite improper. I ask that you withdraw that inflammatory statement and rephrase your question."

"As you wish. Well tell me counsel, where does this chase by Mr Glass after my client's present and future earnings end?"

"Well Mr Black you can advise your client the answer to that question right now. Tell her she pays the requested $25 million and your client keeps the apartment and all other assets involved in this action and my client Mr Glass will have achieved absolute satisfaction and will hope to have any such agreement confirmed by the court."

Stephanie shouted, "This is insane. Most of my wealth was created from my investments from the time of my marriage."

Billie whispered to Arnold. "Who made and managed those investments?"

"I managed them 100%, making the recommendations to Stephanie after referring to a number of consultants and had the investments made through brokers. She hasn't a clue about money."

Billie said, "Zane, I need to be further briefed by my client as we are slipping into the deeper waters of these negations. Has your side any further submissions to make?"

Zane consulted Stephanie and said, "No, we await some sense and a far more conciliatory offer from your side. Perhaps you can explain that to your client?"

"Well, I would expect completion of these negotiations if we combine to have earnest joint conciliatory endeavors perhaps tomorrow, if you are able to set down two hours from 10:00?"

"Agreed."

Billie took Arnold to lunch.

Sipping wine she looked at him steadily. "Your gut feeling Arnold. Does she want to give you more money?"

"What an outrageous question."

"Don't be a pussy Arnold. Answer the question."

"Yes, another few mil for sure. She remains guilty about her fucking toy boy."

"Well that's expensive fucking."

Arnold grinned. But lost it quickly and asked, "Why the claim for $25 million? I told you $20 million."

"A claim for twenty-five possibly gets agreement on twenty."

"God, you have a devious mind."

"Polite people would say I have a sharp negotiating mind."

"Er you have a sharp negotiating mind Billie."

They ordered and as they both watched the swinging butt of the waitress as she walked away Billie said, "Arnold, when we finish here I want to sit down with you while we sort through your records and working through the night if necessary compile a dossier on every investment action and piece of financial advice you have ever given to Stephanie."

Arnold beamed.

Billie said hastily, "Don't think there is a possibility of romance being close up and business-like with me into the small hours."

"No, it's not that Billie. I have the information you require in my log, here in my attaché bag. And I mean everything."

"Jesus. Good boy."

At the resumed negotiations next morning, Billie began reading from the first page of Arnold's log and after turning to page five Zane called for a ten minute recess to confer with his client and team.

"We'll go out for coffee," Billie said.

Arnold said, "Is that sudden recess good."

"It's very good. When we return we'll hear an offer."

"How much?"

"Drink you coffee Arnold and stop looking at your watch. That makes me nervous."

They returned.

Zane said. "My client indicates from what she's heard so far that log appears to be a true record and accepts its validity."

"As would a court judge," Billie said, drawing a huge frown from Zane.

"Please accept our revised offer," he said, pushing a piece of paper across the table to Billie who passed it to Arnold without looking at it."

He whispered, "It's eighteen million. We should accept."

"My client believes fairness is illuminating this room. Up that offer to twenty and we close right now."

As they walked to a bar Arnold said, "I still can't believe how easily you did it. Fuck, twenty million."

"Yes, but your estranged wife still holds on to two-thirds of your combined assets."

"Still, I think it's far. Stephanie generated the capital through her talent that I managed."

"Yes, I thought it was fair. I knew the moment you told me you possessed that log that they would crumble."

CHAPTER 2

Billie had switched off TV and was reading, thinking about running a bath when Zane called.

"Congratulations."

"Thank you."

"That fucking log. I believe Zoë had no knowledge it existed."

"I have to assume she didn't otherwise would have produced it as a winning tool."

"Yeah, so why didn't you take us to court?"

"My client still loves her, I know he does, and he was happy to settle for $18 million. I thought he was being seduced by the sound of money so pressed to get him his target, which was twenty."

"Well I was told to offer twenty so the decision was my client's. So what are you doing right now?"

Billie was happy to be talking to him and she had a fertile mind. So she lied.

"I'm rubbing oil in to my nipples. I recently read it keeps them soft and subtle and that's how men prefer them."

"Men?"

"Well how a girl's man prefers."

"Are you dating at present?"

[Big sigh] "No."

"About Saturday night?"

"What about Saturday night?"

"Dinner-dance at the Oasis."

"Sounds great. Yes please. Would you like to stay the night?"

"Would I what!"

Billie giggled. "Would you what what?"

"Yes, I'd love to stay the night."

"Don't bring sleepwear. Bye."

"Goodnight you gorgeous woman."

Feeling very lightheaded Billie raced to the kitchen. That article had recommended either almond oil or a mix of avocado and olive oil. She had all three and made up a 30% mix of each. Her nipples were already rising to the occasion. The thought of Zane with his lips around them firmed them even more.

THE END

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • A Guy to Love

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 177 milliseconds