• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Amnesia Ch. 08-09

Amnesia Ch. 08-09

12

These are the final two chapters of Amnesia. Based on reader response on another site, I am adding an epilogue. I am greatly indebted to Erik Thread for his patience and consistent support while we worked the daylights out of this story. I hope you agree he made it a better read. Any errors are mine.

*

The F.B.I. arrests of Elliot Stainsby, Conrad Blyer, and Aaron Mahon were not front-page news. It made the news alright, but set back behind two other stories that took precedence. A destructive tornado in Texas and Oklahoma was the lead, and a navy jet crashing near the heavily populated Sheepshead Bay district attracted a lot more attention. There had been no mention of Stanton Mellows in the story. He had not been charged.

Tony had been called by reporters at the restaurant several times and he had given the stock answer. He was unable to discuss anything before the trial was held. He would not be granting any interviews. Luckily for him, it seemed to work. Within a couple of days, he wasn't receiving any more calls. That would change when the trial started, but that was almost a year in the future by the sound of things.

The Marinos couldn't have picked a worse time to move into their new home. December! Cold, rain, sleet, wind. The former owners had vacated the premises earlier that last week of the November, right after Thanksgiving. Nina had arranged for the movers to pack and deliver their household goods from Westport the following week.

The Nantucket house had been listed in early November and they already had competing bids for more than the listed price. Tony just smiled and said "sit tight." There was no rush. The Westport house had a serious offer standing for just below the asking price that their agent was suggesting they accept. Tony wanted to hold out for another week and he and Nina promised the agent they would decide then.

The pieces were falling into place. The children, however, were not pleased. Moving during the school year was bad enough. Losing their friends was worse.

"The children are having a hard time with this move, Tony," Nina said over dinner one evening. "I wish we could have delayed it for them until the school year was done. That would have made it easier, particularly on Nadia."

Tony nodded, acknowledging the difficulty Nina was having. The sale of the houses, the move, and now the kids. "I know there is a lot of pressure on you, Nina. You're handling it very well, but I want to take that pressure off.

"I hesitate to suggest this ... but ... what if the kids were converted to live-in status? If there was room, they could stay at the school with the other 'live-ins' and be near their friends. We could have them come to the city on weekends and holidays. It would just be for the rest of the school year," Tony suggested cautiously. "I know you wanted no part of live-in when we chose the private school in the first place. But the situation has changed. It would only be for a half-year."

Nina sat staring at the wall, lost in thought. Tony remained silent, waiting for her response.

"I'm willing to talk to them about it," she said at length. "You know I'm not keen on them living elsewhere. But ... I think ... to be fair ... I'll talk to them. At least it gives them a choice."

Tony smiled. He reached for her hand and squeezed it gently as she turned to him. There was nothing more to be said.

Nadia, and especially Jared, were excited with the prospect of becoming "live-ins." It was made clear that this would only be for the balance of this school year, and then they would be moving to the city permanently. That they had a choice surprised the two. Jared jumped at it right away without giving it any thought. A number of his friends were already living at the school. To him it was an easy decision.

Nadia was more thoughtful.

"I was thinking how empty this house was when Dad wasn't here. I know how important he is to you Mom. I feel the same way. I'm not sure, but ... I'll give it a try. If I can't handle living there, I can pick up my last semester in New York if I have to."

Nina contacted the school and found there was still some space available. She went to the school to discuss the arrangements and within a week, the two Marino offspring were officially registered as "live-ins."

Nina told Tony how much she would miss her children. They had helped keep her sane when Tony was missing. They were the anchor for their Westport home. Now, that home was gone and she would have to manage by herself for a few months. Mrs. Martinez had found employment with Nina's neighborhood friend, Brenda McCauley. Nina said she was confident that Maria would be happy in the new household.

And so, by the second week of December, Tony and Nina were living in their new home in the Bronx. Nina spent the days unpacking and organizing, arranging and then rearranging. Tony would come home and find the living room furniture moved on more than one occasion. It was a sign that Nina wasn't settled yet. She talked often of missing the children, despite the fact that they saw them almost every weekend.

They decided to keep one of their cars, Nina's. It was a late-model Lexus. The townhouse came with a two-car garage, but one would be enough for their needs. Tony would take a bus or a cab to work and not have to worry about parking. Nina could take the parkway to Yonkers or Mount Vernon for shopping. She would not, however, attempt to drive in Manhattan.

By February, they were established in their new home and becoming accustomed to their new lifestyle. Nina was happy to have Tony in the mornings before he left for the market. She adapted to his being gone until after nine in the evening. She had given herself a little task on Tony's behalf. She was looking for a site for the Bistro that Tony wanted to create.

Magda and Martin had become regular visitors. They were now a couple and Magda had quietly told Nina that he might be "the one." Martin, for his part, confessed to Tony he was still in limbo, unable to comprehend what he was doing in company with a beautiful, successful woman like Magda. He was now officially retired, although he kept in touch with his former colleagues at the precinct.

Magda was introducing him into the world of professional photography and he was enjoying working with her and Emil. He spent some considerable time examining the connection between photography and security. Cameras were commonplace now in every commercial establishment and he talked to Magda more than once about combining his knowledge of security with photography.

The children were adapting to their new accommodations at school. They complained about the food when they were home, but other than that, they were happy. Nadia had decided to stick it out until June, although she missed her parents, particularly her father. Their report cards indicated they were doing OK with their schoolwork. Nothing spectacular, but at least keeping up passing grades.

Nina had settled into a routine. She was rediscovering her old "stomping grounds" one district at a time. She was waiting for a break in the weather to meet more of her new neighbors, but everyone seemed friendly enough and she had made herself known to her immediate neighbors, both of whom were older than Tony and her.

She was already investigating schools for Nadia and Jared. Nadia would be entering her last year of high school while Jared would be entering grade nine. She expressed surprise to Tony that they were growing up so fast and would be gone in a few years. She wondered aloud about the life she and Tony would have then.

Tony was absorbed in Amnesia! for the time being. He was helping Erik Carver develop into a head cook. The young African-American was a good student and just needed the self confidence to take on a kitchen of his own. At twenty four, he was engaged to a lovely young girl he had been dating since high school. They were waiting for his next raise to get married. Tony had shared with him his plans for a new restaurant. Erik may just inherit Amnesia!

Tony had also talked to Mr. Leung about his plans, including the share swap with the new location, if it was successful. Mr. Leung gave it some thought and then agreed with the proposal. He always had the option to bail out if it didn't look viable, but Mr. Leung also said Tony's business sense was very good and he trusted his judgement. Tony had made Amnesia! a bigger success than he ever expected and Mr. Leung was grateful.

Muriel would have her choice; working at the new bistro or at Amnesia! She needed some relief from the long hours at the Bamboo Terrace. She would be sixty-three soon. Mr. Leung had plenty of young cooks to take over for her now. She wanted a change, and she was delighted with the prospect of sharing a kitchen with Tony once more. She announced she would be more than satisfied with an assistant cook's role.

David Polikoff was working part-time at Amnesia! After school he filled in with Erik when Tony was away, and was a regular full time on Saturdays. He would finish his culinary courses later this spring and would be looking for a permanent job. The prospect of the new restaurant that Tony had proposed might be his opportunity. He made no secret of wanting to work with him and hoped he would get the opportunity.

David had a girlfriend now. Debbie Simmons was also a student at the culinary school. They had been teamed together early on and both got on well. She was a lively, blonde-haired young woman. A bit plump, but still very attractive. David loved her sense of humor, even when things weren't going well. She kept him from going off when he burned something, or a dish didn't turn out the way it was supposed to.

-0-

Tony had time to reflect on his new life now. He was unhappy with himself for ever thinking that Nina could be unfaithful. These past months had been all the proof that he would ever need that she was totally devoted to him. She didn't hesitate for a moment in giving up the luxuries of their former life to see him happy. He wondered again at how he could have been so selfish and arrogant in his previous life.

His memory was almost completely restored now. Almost. There were still gaps and missing pieces, but he now knew what kind of animal he was in his previous existence. He wanted no part of that life any more. His new life and his new friends were far more important to him. There may be pieces of his past that he did not recall, but there would be no amnesia when it came to Major Tom, Muriel, Martin, or a host of others that had resurrected him. They gave without thought of reward. He would not forget them.

Some of what he remembered from his past he'd just as soon forget again. He hadn't been a saint. He was just as vulnerable to cheating as the next man. He had easily fallen prey to the old saw: If some is good, more is better. But today ... today, he was a better man. One who could look himself in the mirror and not flinch at the sight.

-0-

Tony had a visitor one afternoon at Amnesia! He had been sitting at a small table with his usual iced tea and the morning paper when a woman approached. Tony looked up and began to stand as she came near.

"Are you Tony Milano?" she asked.

"That's me," he smiled. She was an attractive woman in her early forties.

"I'm Sheila Thompson. We haven't met. My ex-husband is Martin Polikoff."

"Oh ... yes ... of course. Won't you sit down? Can I get you something?"

"Coffee would be fine," she said, smiling slightly.

Tony signaled to Carl and the coffee arrived quickly.

"How can I help you, Mrs. Thompson?"

"It's Sheila. May I call you Tony?"

Tony nodded. "Of course."

"I've been meaning to come here for some time. I think you know that David lives with my husband and me. Until recently, he's been ... difficult. He's very upset that his father and I divorced and he's never really accepted his step-father. I remarried about three years ago and that's when the trouble started." She paused. She was visibly having difficulty telling the story.

"When Martin told me that he was working with you in a tavern, I was very unhappy. I thought it was completely inappropriate for him to be employed in this environment at his age. I was very upset with Martin and David." She stopped again and sipped her coffee.

"But ... something happened when he met you. It was like a light switch went on. His father enrolled him in that special school and it was like he was a different boy. I owe you a debt of gratitude if, as Martin says, you were the spark that gave him a sense of direction. He is very serious about learning to become a cook. He talks about it all the time. And ... he has a girlfriend. One that my husband and I approve of." She offered a faint smile at last.

Tony nodded. "I'm pleased you saw a positive change in him."

The woman carried on. "So ... today I'm here to personally thank you. I'm still not thrilled about him working in a tavern, but I don't get the idea that you've been leading him astray," she smiled again.

"Thank you, Sheila. David's a good kid with a bright future. He's doing what he wants to do and it's fun for me to see him progress. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to give him a boost."

"Martin told us about you. How you had lost your memory and your family before you started to get it back. That must have been horrible."

"Actually, in a way, it was the best thing that every happened to me. Both my wife and I discovered what was really important in our lives and it's made us closer and stronger. Martin and a few other people were largely responsible for making my life better. He's a good friend now," Tony concluded.

She smiled as she rose. Holding out her hand, "It's been a pleasure meeting you, Tony. And, thank you again for helping David. He thinks very highly of you. So do my husband and I."

Tony told Nina about the visit when he arrived home that night. Nina was pleased. She said it was nice gesture and just more evidence that the "new Tony" was making a difference.

-0-

Tony was sitting at his makeshift desk in the kitchen, looking over the inventory. He had been making notes of supplies he needed to order. The food service suppliers would provide most of the items when he faxed his order in before leaving for home that evening.

He was lost in thought when the swinging kitchen doors burst open and a disheveled, older man burst in. It took Tony a moment to recognize Stanton Mellows, and that he was waving a small gun around in his right hand. Tony froze on the spot.

"There you are, you bastard. You think you're so smart ... you think you're going to be some kind of hero ... well think again," he yelled.

He was drunk, of that Tony was certain. He held the gun unsteadily, waving it about the kitchen as he continued his rant.

"You sicced the F.B.I. on me ... didn't you. You told them to raid my house and take all my stuff. I'll get you for that," he cried, his voice cracking under the strain.

Again, the gun was waving back and forth. Tony didn't look behind him or he would have seen Erik crouching behind one of the counters, his eyes as big as saucers. David had left a half-hour earlier or he might have been in the line of fire as well. Slowly, Tony began to rise from his chair. He was trying hard not to make any sudden moves as the drunken old man continued his harangue.

"I'll get even, Milano. I'll teach you a lesson. You can't take everything away from me and get away with it." Mellows was unsteady on his feet, weaving back and forth as he waved the gun carelessly. His hair was plastered all over his head from the rain. His suit coat was wet and rumpled, as was his shirt. His tie was missing and Tony wondered briefly how he got himself into this condition.

He was snapped out of his momentary lapse when the gun went off. It wasn't a loud explosion ... more like a heavy popping sound. Mellows looked at the gun as if he didn't understand what had happened. His eyes were wide in surprise and then he turned back to Tony.

He aimed the gun at Tony's chest. At this distance, he couldn't miss. Tony was almost certain that this was going to end badly for someone when he saw Carl's face at the kitchen door window. Mellows saw Tony look past him and turned to see what Tony was looking at. It was the only chance Tony was going to get. He lunged at Mellows.

It was a cross between an old fashioned football block and a dive. Whatever, it worked. He hit Mellows squarely in the chest with a resounding thump. In the seconds that followed, he was aware of hearing another shot and seeing Mellows' hands fly apart as they crashed back through the kitchen doors and out into the tavern.

Mellows lay on his back, gasping for breath. The gun was gone from his hand and didn't seem to be anywhere within his reach. Tony picked himself up and looked down at the defeated old man. Stanton Mellows was once a man of stature and reputation in this town. Not any more. He seemed to be shrinking before their very eyes as he lay on the floor.

Erik crept carefully out of the kitchen, stepping gingerly around Mellows and walking to the bar.

"Carl, call 911," Tony finally managed, still looking at the fallen man.

"Already done, Tony. I saw the gun when he came in and called them right away. They should be here pronto."

"What happened to the gun?" Tony asked idly.

Carl shrugged. He had been standing by the kitchen doors when Tony leaped at Mellows and the bartender was knocked back behind the bar by the force of the door hitting him.

Two uniformed police officers arrived at that moment and walked warily into the tavern.

"We got a call there was a man with gun," one said.

"That's him," Tony said, pointing at the still fallen Mellows.

"What's this all about?" the other officer asked, his eyes surveying the room.

"This man had a grudge against me," Tony offered. "You can check with the F.B.I. and they will tell you he's being investigated for fraud and other securities violations. You can also check with Detective Sergeant Martin Polikoff. He knows the whole story."

Mellows hadn't made any attempt to get up. He just lay on the floor, breathing heavily, eyes unfocussed, looking like death warmed over.

"You might call an ambulance for this man. He doesn't look too good and I'm pretty sure he's very drunk. At his age and in his condition, you'd hate to have him die on your watch," Tony warned.

The ambulance arrived fifteen minutes later and took Mellows to the hospital emergency ward for examination. One of the uniformed officers went with him. The other had retrieved the gun from the floor near the front windows.

"This the gun?" he asked.

Tony nodded. "Yeah ... I think he fired two shots. One by accident and the other when I hit him."

The officer had picked it up carefully, not wanting to disturb any fingerprints. It looked small and harmless.

"Looks like something his wife might have owned," the cop volunteered. "A .22, I'd say."

"Carl, it looks like we've lost our last customers. Why don't we have a drink and call it a day."

"Sorry guys, but the detectives will be along to get your statements. You're going to have to stay for awhile yet," the officer said apologetically.

Tony just shrugged while Carl poured two dark ales. They talked to relieve the tension that was now just beginning to evaporate. They agreed when things calmed down, they would phone their wives and tell them they would be late. They would not tell them what happened. That could wait. No need to upset them unnecessarily.

Tony was surprised when Martin accompanied two other detectives into the tavern.

"I thought you were retired?"

"I am. I got a call from a friend. What happened?" Martin asked.

"I had a visit from Stanton Mellows. He was a wee bit upset with me."

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Amnesia Ch. 08-09

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 118 milliseconds