• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • The Deal

The Deal

She wanted a divorce. There was no other way for this to end. Isla had asked him for a divorce and he had no clue as to why. He had known this day would come; he just thought he had more time. He needed more time to change her mind. Although he knew that was not going to happen because of the deal, they had made eight months ago.

They had married for reasons they both knew and neither one of them had to do with love. She had married to gain access to an inheritance. He had married so that she could not testify against him. They had agreed the marriage would last one year, and here it was eight months later and she had asked for a divorce. Why? There was no answer to his question and he did not expect one.

Michael wanted to hold on to his marriage, but how do you tell that to someone who never wanted to marry in the first place. Had she not needed him to gain early access to her inheritance, she would have never married him. She would be free, and he would not be standing at the window watching her load her things into her car. For a brief moment, their eyes met through the window. Michael let the curtain fall shutting off his view of her.

Isla had hoped just for brief moment that he would come after her. Hoped he would say he loved her, but he never did. Not once in eight months had he said he loved her. She had sworn to never fall victim to a man and when she realized that she was in love with Michael, she decided it was time to end their marriage. Had he said he loved her, she would have stayed. Had he come after her now, she would not have left.

It was time to start the next phase of her life and she had to walk this path alone. There was no sister, or parents. There was only one person she could turn to. She had called her grandmother and told her the whole story. Her grandmother had told her to come home, so she left.

FOUR YEARS LATER

The casket had been lowered long ago, but Isla still sat quietly crying in her chair. Her father sat on one side; her mother on the other. Each of them thinking of how to console their daughter, each one knowing there was nothing they could do. Isla had lost her rock. The one person she could depend on was now lying in a casket six feet below the ground where she sat. How was she going to manage without her grandmother?

Isla Marine D'Amico had been everything to her granddaughter. They had formed a bond early in her granddaughter's life. The bond had nothing to do with the fact that this was the only granddaughter that she had named after her, but it existed because the elder Isla saw something special about her namesake. She saw the fight in her eyes when a challenge was placed before her. The elder Isla often challenged her granddaughter in conversation. When she was younger, they talked about her school days compared to the current school days. As the younger Isla grew older, her grandmother would have her read about politics, entertainment, and financial pages. This had allowed Isla to grow into a well-rounded young woman. They were closer than any two women, from two different generations, could be. Grandma Isla was the one that the younger Isla went to for comfort after she found her sister's lifeless body.

Isla had found her older sister, Taryn, lying on her bed. She looked as if she was sleeping. Isla attempted to wake her up for dinner, but Taryn did not move. Isla began to scream and her grandmother and her father came into the room. Thomas, Isla's father, began CPR when he did not feel a pulse. Her grandmother called the ambulance. They worked on Taryn for what seemed like hours before they gave up. Nothing had worked. Taryn was dead.

Grandma Isla noticed an instant change in her granddaughter. She withdrew from her parents. She did not go out with her friends. She had been interested in a boy and then all of a sudden the boy had disappeared. Isla gave the reason that she lost interest in the boy and that she broke off their relationship. Grandma Isla allowed her to grieve the loss of her sister. She understood loss of this magnitude. She had lost her brother during the depression. He had gotten sick and with little money, the family could not afford appropriate care. Grandma Isla refused to let her only living granddaughter follow in the footsteps of her sister.

Grandma Isla began to reach out to Isla. She would ask her to accompany her to certain engagements. Isla would meet people, important people. As she grew into womanhood and went off to Columbia University, her grandmother bought an apartment in New York City in order for Isla to have a place to call home. The four years Isla attended Columbia allowed her to come out of her shell. She still would not date, but she did make it a point to have fun. When she graduated her grandmother moved back to Buffalo, but Isla stayed in New York. They spoke by phone everyday.

As she sat, looking at the casket Isla felt a peace come over her. She smiled through her tears then stood calmly with her parents. She threw the orange rose on top of the casket, blew a kiss and walked away. That is when she saw him.

Michael leaned against a car parked right in front of the limo that was to take the immediate family back to the house on Woodbridge. Isla continued to walk with her parents. She was grateful that Michael had shown up. Her grandmother had always liked him. It made her feel better knowing he had come. She acknowledged him with a smile and a small wave. She felt a flutter in her stomach when he smiled back.

Isla noticed the swarm of reporters coming towards her at the same time Michael did. They fired questions of her and her parents. They even dared to bring up Taryn's death. They asked questions that only the heartless could ask at a time like this. One reporter asked about her inheritance. Another questioned her role in the death of her grandmother. He even hinted at foul play by stating how ironic it was that she found both of her dead relatives. Michael fought his way through the crowd, took Isla in his arms and led her to his car. Her parents were already in the limo having been separated from Isla. Michael's driver sped away from the cemetery. Michael ordered him to go to Thomas' home.

"Thanks for the help, cowboy." She smiled slightly. She looked down and noticed their hands were still intertwined. She made no move to release it.

"Always willing to help a damsel in distress," Michael smiled back. He knew how she was hurting. There was no one closer to Isla than her grandmother was. That is no one, but him. Michael began to caress the hand that was enclosed in his. He knew seeing her would make him remember the love that he felt for her. He knew he could not escape the memories of their brief marriage.

Isla trembled at the closeness. She could feel is heat and it comforted her. She had grown abnormally quiet. She watched the scenery and the rain began to fall slowly. She sniffled and Michael knew she was crying.

"Are you ok?"

She nodded and then leaned her head against the cool window. "I'm fine, thanks," Her voice was shaky. Michael could hear the tears in her voice. He knew she had suffered a major loss in her life once again. He also felt her pain. Having lost his parents in an accident when he was young, and being raised by his grandparents, he understood her loss. Michael continued to hold her hand. Even through her pain, she could still feel the electricity of his touch. She allowed him to hold her hand, wishing she could draw strength from him. They rode to her father's house in silence.

At her father's house, Isla bypassed the crowd and went out into the rose garden. She and her grandmother had often sat in the gazebo and talked. She sat here now and cried. She was so deep in her own grief she did not hear anyone approach. She felt his strong arms embrace her from behind. "Michael," his name escaped her lips in a whisper.

"Go ahead and cry. I know it hurts." Michael continued to hold her as she leaned back into him and continued to cry. He caressed her arms as she stood away from him. He pulled her back into his embrace with her face buried in his chest. Michael rubbed her back and allowed her to continue to cry until they heard an energetic small voice break through the silence.

"Mommy!" the ball of energy came running toward Isla. Michael stepped back and watched the interaction between the two. He could not help but notice how much the little girl looked like Isla. Then it dawned on him that she had called her "mommy".

"Hi, pumpkin," Isla said as she tried to smile through her tears. Then she noticed the woman who came up behind her daughter. "Hey, Carm."

"Hi." Carmen her friend since childhood looked up at Michael. "I knew you would show up." She smiled

Michael returned her smile and then turned his attention toward the little girl in Isla's arms. "And who is this little beauty?"

A look transpired between Isla and Carmen. Isla turned the little girl so that she was facing Michael. "This little beauty is your daughter, Ryan."

Michael was stunned into silence. The sucker punch he had just received was nothing compared to the anger that rose up within him once the meaning of Isla's words formed in his head. He stared at Isla in unbelieving silence. Suddenly reality came back to him and he focused his attention on the little beauty in Isla arms. Michael lifted the little girl into his arms and tears threatened to spill over is eyelids. She called him, "daddy." That single word was his undoing.

Carmen excused herself. Isla stood watching Michael as he talked to his daughter, getting to know her. She was three. He learned that she liked princesses and fairies, and that her new interest was racecars every since her mommy took her to see the movie Cars. Michael listened as she told him how she liked to eat raw carrots and have movie nights with her mommy. He was amazed at how comfortable Ryan was with him, since they had just met. He looked over at Isla, as if to ask her the question. She only looked at him nervously. "I'm going to get a snack for her. I will be right back."

Isla's exit left Michael alone with his daughter. His daughter. Those two words set off a sea of emotions inside him. Michael watched as she wiggled off his lap and chased after three butterflies. Ryan was laughing and giggling as she ran through the yard chasing the butterflies when Isla returned. "We have to talk. I know today is not the right time, but we have to make time." Isla sensed Michael's anger as he spoke to her in a low tone.

"I agree. We do need to talk. We can meet tomorrow while Ryan is in school."

"Agreed," Michael, said as Ryan made her way back over to where they sat. "We can have lunch in my office unless you want to meet some place else."

"Your office is fine."

That night after Isla had put Ryan to bed; she sat on the window seat in her room and cried. The loss of her grandmother was just too much for her to bear. Her phone rang. The caller id showed the caller was Carmen. Isla answered immediately.

"I knew you would be up crying. Do you need me to come over?"

"Will Calvin, mind you sleeping over?"

"No. He half expected me to anyway. I will be over in a few minutes."

When Carmen arrived she put, her things in the guest room and then went to the kitchen and fixed them both big bowls of coffee ice cream and crushed up chocolate chip cookies to mix in it. "Let's eat."

Isla smiled for the first time in hours. The two women sat on opposite sides of the couch sharing a blanket and eating their ice cream in silence. Isla broke the silence by telling Carmen about her lunch date with Michael the next day.

"Are you nervous?"

"Have you met me? I have never been nervous in my life." Isla readjusted her position on the couch. "I moved back here so that I could tell Michael about Ryan. I didn't expect him to show up at Grandmother's funeral, but since he did and Ryan came in screaming "mommy" I had no choice but to tell him. I've never lied to him and I am not going to start now."

"So you will be open to whatever visitation?"

"Sure. I wasn't going to tell Michael about Ryan and we both know that. But, since she began asking about him, I felt I owed it to my daughter to give her what she was missing."

"What about what you're missing, Issy?"

Isla was quiet for a few moments. "I'm not missing anything." Her voice was sad. Carmen knew better than anyone how much Taryn's suicide had changed Isla. For some unknown reason, Isla had shut down her emotions toward anyone except her grandmother until the day she gave birth to Ryan. The love she expressed to her daughter was something Carmen had not seen before between parent and child.

Carmen watched as Isla put her long curly hair into a sloppy ponytail. "Isla, don't think I don't know you are in love with Michael. I saw you in his arms yesterday. I know you wanted to stay married to him four years ago, so do not try to play me."

"Carm, I am here so Ryan can bond with her father. There will be no reconciliation. There will be no Mr. and Mrs. I am here for that and I know Michael doesn't want it."

"Is that what you tell yourself so that you don't fall for him again? Answer this if you have no feelings for Mike, then why did you stay away so long?"

"Carm, lets drop this and go to bed."

"Fine, we'll go to sleep but I will be here when you get back from that lunch tomorrow and you will tell me what happened."

"I don't mind wasting your time, Carmen Love."

Carmen laughed when Isla included her middle name the way Carmen's grandfather used to when they were younger.

Isla showed up at Michael's office wearing a pair of tan shorts and a white sleeveless wrap top. On her feet was a pair of extremely high wedge sandals. "Hello, I'm-" She was cut off.

"I know who you are Isla," the older woman said.

It took Isla a moment to remember Miss Betty, but she did and she smiled. The older woman had always been nice to her when she came by to visit Michael. "Miss Betty, how have you been?" Isla embraced the older woman.

"I'm good. How are you holding up? I heard about your grandmother. She was always so nice when she came to see Mickey." Isla smiled she had forgotten that the older woman had called Michael, Mickey.

"Thank you, Miss Betty is the living terror inside?"

"Yes, sweetie go right in."

Isla entered Michael's office. It was different from before. Not only was he in a different location, but instead of the navy blue and gray that he had draped his office in before it as now all cream and browns. It was a warm setting. She liked it. It looked like something she would have done herself. As she thought about it, it was her design. Her grandmother had told her she was redecorating her office in this same building and she had used some of the design, she had not used it all, now Isla knew why. She wanted Isla to design it for Michael. She smiled. Her grandmother had always wanted her to stay with Michael, but understood why she felt she could not.

"Hello." Her smile was bright.

"Hello to you. Have a seat." Isla took the seat in the comfortable chair on one side of the coffee table and Michael sat in the other facing her. "I had Miss Betty order us some lunch."

"Thanks, I'm starving." Michael laughed lightly. He always did like the fact that she was not afraid to eat. Most women would just order a salad. Isla would have salad, soup, and a sandwich.

While Michael went about setting out the food, Isla watched him. He was as handsome as he had always been. His cologne was doing a number on her senses. She watched as he lay everything in front her. "Mustard right?"

Isla smiled and nodded. She crossed her legs and it caught Michael's attention. His gazed traveled the length of her legs and he was mesmerized. She was still sexier than any woman had a right to be. He remembered holding her in his arms yesterday. She smelled sweet, just as she did now. He wanted to touch her, but the thought of her giving birth to his child and not informing him burned up all the lust he harbored for her.

Michael sat back and began to eat. Isla only looked at the food in front of her. He remembered she could never eat if something was on her mind. "What do you have to say?"

"I apologize for not telling you about Ryan."

"Why did you name her after me?"

"I was beginning to think you didn't notice that your daughter had your middle

name as her first name." She took a sip of her drink. "I knew one day that I would have to tell you about her. Unbelievably she knows all about you. I never discouraged her from asking about you. Whenever she has a question, I answer it. If she asks to see your picture, I show it to her."

"That explains why she was so comfortable with me yesterday."

"I promised Grandmother that I would tell you about her. I have been back in town a month. I had to get set up in residence and get Ryan in a preschool that I felt comfortable with before I could fit you into our world." Michael stood to attention. "I don't mean anything by that statement. It came out wrong. I know it is my fault that you don't know your daughter. I take full blame for that. I want you to know her. I want you to know that I am open to whatever visitation you want." Isla placed her sandwich back on the plate in front of her. Michael still had not said anything. Isla stood. "Thanks for lunch. I have to get going. I will be gone for a couple of weeks. I am going to close up the apartment in Manhattan. I also have to meet with a few clients."

"Can we have dinner together tonight?" His request was almost whispered. Isla could not deny him seeing Ryan before they left for two weeks.

"Sure. Come by my place tonight around six. Ryan is in bed by 8:30. We are having her new favorite, pizza and wings." Isla smiled.

"I'll be there." They both stood to walk towards the office door. Isla turned around abruptly and ran right into Michael's chest. Michael grabbed her around her waist to steady her on her heels. They both froze. Isla stuttered over her words. Michael's gaze was fixed on her mouth. She licked her lips lightly and the sight of her tongue was his undoing. His lips were upon hers before she could blink.

A kiss that started unsure and surged quickly into something they both wanted. Michael held her tight. Isla molded her body into his and he held on to her. He ran his hands through the silky strands of her hair causing the loose knot to fall in waves to the middle of her back. He could feel her breast as they pushed against his chest and he moved his hands to cup them and began to softly massage the tips. Isla's body was on fire.

Truth be told she had not been touched like this in four years. Not one date had she been on. Not one touch from a lover. Michael had made her immune to all other men. He had branded her his on their wedding night, and by the way she responded to him, he knew she was still his. The need for air caused them to stop kissing, but he left his hands tangled in her hair. His face lingered several inches above hers. Isla wanted to step away from him, but she could not move. She looked down to avoid him seeing the emotions that she knew she could never hide. His thumb brushed lightly against her cheek. "I'll see you tonight at six." Isla only nodded. She attempted to put her hair back into its knot, but her hands shook so bad that it was a sloppy attempt at best.

With the taste of Michael still on her lips, Isla returned home she saw the letter from her grandmother's attorney sitting on the table. She groaned when she read that the reading of the will would take place in two weeks. Isla just folded the letter and placed it in her file cabinet. She would confirm with the attorney tomorrow. Right now, she needed to get her daughter ready to have dinner with her father.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • The Deal

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 23 milliseconds