• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • The Deal Ch. 02

The Deal Ch. 02

12

Michael arrived just as Isla was paying the delivery girl for the pizza. He had thought about Isla all day. He had given thought to the strong attraction they felt toward one another and he thought even more about how she had kept Ryan away from him. He wondered how she was going to react when he told her about his conversation with his lawyer. She would probably run to her father, Thomas. Thomas was one of the best attorneys in the city. Michael knew he would have a fight on his hands but he wanted his daughter under his roof. Isla would not get away with another day let alone three years of him not seeing his daughter.

Michael made himself comfortable as Isla set out the food. He was aware of how she moved around the kitchen, as if she knew what she was doing. He remembered she knew nothing about cooking before, and wanted nothing to do with the kitchen. Now, she seemed comfortable. He noticed she was wearing the same outfit from earlier except the shoes, and that sexy hot pink polish on her toes still caught his eye. He enjoyed the view as he continued up her legs. He felt his groin tighten. Her legs had always been his weakness even before she had became his wife, then his ex-wife, and now the mother of his child. Anger flashed across his face as he thought about his time missed with Ryan. Isla would pay for this.

Isla had noticed Michael watching her. It unnerved her as much as it intrigued her. She watched as Michael made his way around her home. He exuded the strength and confidence that had always attracted her to him. That one character trait had been her downfall every since she had first met him when she was fourteen. Her schoolgirl crush had been long forgotten, but a week after Paris' murder changed all of that.

The night of Paris' murder, Isla had been the lone witness. She had seen him leaving Paris' apartment wearing a blood-stained shirt. She knew he had not committed the murder. Michael was not the murdering type. He had always been calm, even when angry. Isla had always figured something in his past had taught him to keep tight control over his emotions. Even when Isla had seen him being escorted to court the day after his arrest, he had been calm. The image of Michael in those handcuffs had given her an idea. She knew Michael had seen her that night. She had wondered why he had not said anything about her being there just as he was. She had made the decision to visit Michael when he made bail from county jail later that day.

Isla looked at Michael now, so much water under the bridge. To think had it not been for her grandfather and his stipulations in his will, she would not be in this mess. She had to be thirty or married before she could access the funds. Isla now remembered how she had presented the plan to Michael.

A friend of hers was majoring in pre-law at Canisius College, and had informed her that the law states a husband and wife cannot be forced to incriminate one another. Isla, being the only witness to Michael leaving Paris' apartment with blood staining his shirt, offered Michael a much-needed life preserver. She told Michael about the stipulation in her grandfather's will, and the law her friend had spoken of. Michael refused at first. The he spoke with his attorney and things were not looking so good. For a brief moment, he wanted to ask Isla why she was in such a hurry to access her inheritance. Then he decided it was none of his business. There was probably a new designer handbag or something else frivolous, that only she would have thought important.

After thinking, the plan over it started to make since to Michael. Even his attorney told him it might now be a bad idea. It gave them more time to investigate. With all of the circumstantial evidence against Michael, Isla's testimony could have put him away. Isla had come up with a plan that would benefit them both. Michael would have his freedom and Isla would get her inheritance. Who cared if she would be broke within five years.

They were married a week later. It was supposed to have lasted a year. Michael's attorney said that they had to live together, so Isla moved into Michael's condo. They did not share a room in the beginning. One year Isla thought she could handle that until Michael began acting like a real husband. He cared for her. Soon they fell into a routine. They would eat dinner together most nights. They began anticipating seeing one another. Isla felt herself being too attached so she tried pulling back, but Michael would bridge each gap with a kind gesture or a gentle compliment.

Marriage had been the last thing on Michael's mind, but this was to be in name only. It turned out to be so much more. Isla was easy company. She would hum songs and make up her own words if she didn't know the exact lyrics. One thing he noticed is she wasn't a slob by any means. She was the total opposite. Isla was so neat that she would pick up his mess. One day when Michael had worked long hours at his office, he came home to a spotless condo. It touched him that she had hired a house cleaner to clean his place. It shocked him when Isla came from the laundry room carrying a basket of laundry. She had tossed out a sunny hello as if her doing the laundry was normal.

Isla knew Michael had been stunned to see her doing any kind of house keeping. Everyone who had known the DiAmico girls were stunned to know that their grandmother had raised them to be self-sufficient when it came to housework, but cooking was another story for Isla. She had no interest. Taryn wanted to open a restaurant, Isla smiled to herself at the thought.

"I hope that's a smile for me," Michael said with confidence. Again, there was that confidence that some would mistake for arrogance. Her grandmother had told her that a confident man was a man with a mission and a plan, and that he had every intention on seeing them through. That memory made her nervous. She hesitated before looking up at him. Once their eyes connected her mind began to race with thoughts of their kiss earlier that day. She could still taste him on her lips. The sweetest taste of something she could not have. Was it such a bad thing to wish for it? She had often fantasized about Michael coming back into her life, but now with Ryan in the picture she knew that would be out of the question. He was angry. One look at his face whenever he looked her way told the story. What real man would not be angry in this situation? She admitted that she brought this all on herself, so now they could only move forward and work together to parent their daughter. It was now time to concentrate on Ryan.

"Ry lets eat." Isla called out, breaking eye contact with Michael.

Isla's voice calling for their daughter brought Michael back to the present. He would have kissed her if they had stared at one another any longer. What was he thinking? He had to remember what his attorney, Pam had said to him earlier. She was a smart one that Pam. Pam had advised him of all of his legal rights. She had advised him in order to gain custody of his daughter he would have to prove Isla unfit, and from the looks of things right now that was going to be damned hard. "Need any help?" He figured he could at least try to be cordial until he found the information he was looking for.

"No thanks. This is the easy part. Wait until you see the mess she makes."

"Takes after her father in that respect, huh?"

Isla smiled. She remembered how messy Michael was until she moved in. She wondered if he was still a reformed slob or if he had reverted to his sloppy ways. Then she shook that thought out of her head. It was no longer her right to know. Her only concern in regards to Michael was his parenting skills. She had to remember that.

Ryan came barreling into the room and that snapped Isla into mother mode. Michael watched with envy at their closeness and angry thoughts entered his mind at random times throughout dinner. He hated not having been there for all of her firsts. He would always be angry with Isla for that. He wanted to know why she had deprived him of such wonders. He was so deep in his own angry thoughts that he did not realize that the two ladies at the table were both staring at him.

Michael noticed Isla stared at him impatiently; one perfectly arched brow slightly raised. She looked as if she was waiting for something. "What?"

"Ryan asked you a question."

Michael turned his attention to his daughter. "Yes, sweetheart."

"Do you like pizza?"

"Yes, I do." Michael smiled at his daughter. Everything about her was Isla. From her jet-black curly hair that hung almost down to her waist, and the thick lashes that framed her eyes. She did have that dimple in her right cheek like her father and she had his smile. Michael was in awe of this beautiful bundle of energy that was his daughter.

"Mommy, can we go to the zoo on the weekend?"

"This weekend, sweetie and yes we can go."

"Can my daddy come with us?" Isla gave Michael a look. The look told him to say he was busy, but the worst side of Michael decided not to let her off the hook so quickly.

"What time should I pick you up on Saturday?"

The look Isla shot in his direction was exactly what he knew it would be. He would teach her, he thought to himself. She was going to regret ever keeping his daughter away from him. Things were just getting started. Isla had yet to see what was to come.

Isla sat for the next hour in near silence; counting the minutes until it was time for Ryan to get into bed and for Michael to leave. Not being able to control her anger had not been one of her better traits until Ryan had been born. Now she knew to wait until her daughter was out of hearing distance. So, she would wait.

As Isla cleared the dishes, Michael and Ryan watched a movie in the family room. She would glance over at them from time to time and remember her mom and dad in their happier days. Her dad would always keep her and Taryn occupied while her mom cleaned the kitchen. She and Taryn loved it. Their dad, Thomas, was the fun parent. Isla longed for those days now. She noticed Michael approaching her. Her expression changed.

Michael could tell that she was not happy with his decision to accompany them to the zoo. If looks could kill, he would be a dead man standing. "Is Ryan asleep?"

"Yes, she zonked out on me ten minutes into the movie?" He looked over at his daughter asleep on the couch. "I can put her to bed if you want."

"Second door on the left," she replied without as much as a glance in his direction. Isla needed space. She was ready to throw something she was so mad. Michael had invaded her space and she did not like it. She was all for this co-parenting world that everyone seemed to be into these days, but she wanted her normalcy back. This was just too much Michael way to soon. His presence brought back everything she had worked to forget. It had only been two days and she was now surrounded by Michael. He was in her thoughts constantly and when she was not thinking about him, she was talking about him with Ryan. Ryan wanted to know everything about her daddy. Isla felt obligated to answer as much as she could. She felt guilt for keeping father and daughter apart. Her grandmother had told her this day would not be easy for her. The elder Isla knew that Michael would be beyond angry and had told her granddaughter what a mistake she thought it was that she would not tell Michael about his child. She had been prepared for anger, but Michael was giving her mixed signals. She knew this Michael. He had called it "keeping them guessing" when he dealt with his business associates. Isla realized that two could play this game and put her own plan into action.

When Michael returned Isla was standing by the door. "I'm not leaving, yet." His voice was calm. Isla stood, unmoving by the door. Michael thought she had not heard him but he saw her slight intake of breath and knew he had caught her unaware. "We have a lot of things to discuss and we will talk this time Isla."

Isla relented and walked over to the island and sat down opposite Michael. "So talk."

"Why did you not tell me about Ryan?"

"Are you serious?" Isla looked at him in disbelief. "Why would I tell you about her Michael? Never did you once say that you wanted children. In fact, you did everything to make me understand that our marriage would be in name only. You made sure I understood it was not a love match. I married you to keep you out of prison. You married me to help me get the first part of my inheritance. We both got what we wanted out of the deal. Ryan was not something either one of us factored into our plans, but when I found out I was pregnant, it was the best day of my life. Until that day I had no idea what was missing from my life."

Michael could understand her reason but he would never agree with it. "You had no right to keep her from me. Do you know what I have missed? You had no right to make that decision for me."

"I had every right." Her hazel eyes were lit up in gold flames. Michael knew he had put those flames there and he knew what she was capable of when mad. "Why would I place my daughter in harm's way?"

"Harm's way?" Michael's voice rose.

"Yes." Isla looked him directly in the eyes and spoke slowly. "How can I as a parent knowingly have you reject my child?"

"I would have never rejected, Ryan."

"How was I to know that? All you ever talked about was how you would not want to raise any kids in this life. You spoke on it quite regularly." Isla moved to the refrigerator to take out a bottle of water. "You would always say to me, 'Isla, I wouldn't be a good father' every time we heard about someone having a baby. 'Isla, I don't want children. Children are not in my future.' How many times did I have to hear that before I realized you were actually sending me the message of don't get any ideas about this fake marriage?"

"You know why I said all of those things. You even said you didn't want children. Hell, you didn't even want to be married."

"I won't deny that. I still don't want to be married, but I am Ryan's mother. I"

Michael cut her off, "I am her father, dammit! I would appreciate it if you don't forget that in the future."

Isla sat still for a moment, not saying a word. "We won't get anything worked out tonight. You should leave."

"I agree, but as far as the zoo on Saturday, what time should I pick the two of you up?" "One is good." She walked slowly to the door and let him out.

Isla lay in bed that night deep in thought about everything Michael had said. She would contact her attorney tomorrow. Normally she would have her father all over this, but she wanted to handle this one on her own. She thought about the letter that Taryn had left her so long ago. Isla had read the letter so many times that she could recite it by heart. "Don't ever let a man define who you are. Just think of mom. Just think of me. I am so wrapped up in Adrian that I can't stand to be without him. I knew he was sleeping with Paris, but as long as I had a piece of him, I was ok. The day he came to me and said he was leaving me for her I decided I had to do something." Isla shut her eyes at the thought of what Taryn had done. No one would have every guessed, no one except her grandmother. Grandmother always said Taryn had sad eyes. There was never any light; never any happiness, so when she took those pills that made her sleep, Grandmother Isla was not surprised.

Isla's parents had gotten divorced when she was too young to realize what divorce would mean for their family. Taryn had explained it the best way a twelve year old could. Isla was only five at the time. Through various conversations, Isla and Taryn learned that their father had been unfaithful to their mother and she had finally said enough is enough and left him. Thomas did not make it easy for her. He fought for custody of the girls and won due to calling in some favors. He would make it so the girls spent as little time as possible with their mother, Diane. It became a battle of race and class. How they ever got back to where they were friends was beyond Isla. She was just grateful to have her mom around full time. Taryn's death had a lot to do with that.

Over the years, Isla had formed a very jaded opinion of marriage and relationships. She had never wanted children because she thought she would just screw them up as her parents had done with her and Taryn. Taryn's suicide had set the final tone. Isla had never wanted to love anyone that much. So far, the success rate was not a good one.

Isla wondered how much worse the week could get. She had not slept much this week. Michael had been calling to see how she was reacting to his request for joint custody. Isla was angered to a point that she could not even voice her reaction. Carmen called and so did their other friends. Everyone was concerned for different reasons. She had been tempted a few times to just go back to Manhattan and stay at her apartment there, but pride would not allow it. By Wednesday night her phone had rang so much she just shut it off. After being in complete silence for four hours, she realized it was still of and turned it back on. As soon as she switched the phone on it began to ring.

"Hello!" Isla's voice was angry.

"Isla?" It was a female voice, familiar but one not heard in a while.

"Yes."

"Hi its Rya. Darien asked me to call you to tell you she had the baby yesterday."

"Oh my goodness! Hi Rya. I will be there in a few hours. Let me just book my flight."

"I will let her know you are coming, but she had a request before you got here."

Isla could tell by the way that Rya hesitated something was not right. "Is the baby ok, Rya?"

"No no, nothing like that. She is premature, but doctors say she will be fine. Its just that Darien said she wanted me to ask you." Rya was hesitating. Darien had shared the story of Taryn's death with her.

"She wants to name her daughter after my sister."

After a long pause, Rya finally answered, "yes."

Isla took a moment to stop the tears that sprang to her eyes. "Tell her I said yes, that is fine with us." Rya could tell the woman on the other end of the phone was crying. Isla sniffed and told Rya she would be on the next plane to Manhattan.

On Saturday, Michael rang Isla's doorbell at twelve forty-five. He purposely arrived early to throw her off. Isla's friend, Jasmine answered the door followed by Ryan and Carmen. There was no sign of Isla.

Ryan ran to the door at the sound of her father's voice. She pushed past both women and threw herself into Michael. "Hi daddy!"

"Hi, angel, are you ready to go?"

"Yes."

Father and daughter left to spend the day together.

Later that night Isla's flight landed four hours later than it should have. She was tired and cranky from the flight. What should have been an hour flight had turned into five hours. The Buffalo Niagara International Airport was quiet. There weren't too many people there at this late hour, but of the few people, mingling about she could see Michael leaning on a wall near the stairs. Isla was not in the mood for this right now. She knew Michael would want to confront her for what he would believe was her bailing out on the outing to the zoo.

As she grew closer, she realized he had not seen her yet. Isla's mind went back and forth, on whether she should just walk past him or not. Michael made up her mind when he looked up to see her walking only a few feet away from him. He stood to his full height and seemed to loom over her. "Hello," he said.

"Hi." Her reply was brief. She wanted to gage his reaction before going off on her own tangent with an explanation about why she missed their outing to the zoo.

Michael simply removed the overnight bag from her shoulder and fell in step beside her as she continued to the exit of the airport. Outside a car and driver were waiting for them. Michael handed Isla's bag to the driver and allowed her to enter the car before he slid onto the leather seat beside her. Before they could pull away from the curb, a loud crash of thunder ripped through the sky and a flash of lightening turned the dark sky light for a split second. Isla jumped, but did not scream. Michael then remembered she was afraid of thunderstorms.

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • The Deal Ch. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 10 milliseconds