• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • Happy New Year

Happy New Year

As we head to the last holiday of the year, I realize it is also the last holiday of the first decade of the new century. Of course, what I mean is the eve of the holiday for that is what fascinates me, as New Years itself is nothing more than hangovers, parades, and football. What happened to the first ten years of the twenty-first century? I cannot believe it's been ten years since all the panic of 'Y2K' and the almost feeling of disappointment with the smooth transition. I can imagine the same reaction with the upcoming 2012 phenomena in two years; in fact, I hope to be looking forward to it. Will the world end as the Mayans predicted, well as they say 'stay tuned'.

The New Years Eve party is the holiday for hedonists and yet is as rigidly bound by tradition as Christmas. Everyone seems to have their own 'way' of celebrating but it still breaks down to booze, noise, and trying to stay awake past midnight. Who decided this was the way to turn the page in this novelette of our lives. Instead of starting a new chapter fresh and invigorated, we are tired and hung over while our mates are furious with the asses we made of ourselves. The question remains, are we drinking to forget our mistakes of the previous year or to stop our thoughts on the upcoming horrors of the new.

Don't even try to convince me that the big party on the last day of the year is because you are planning to do so well in the new one. This is just bullshit for we all know those resolutions we've made for the New Year will be forgotten before the Super Bowl. Maybe it's the realization of another year gone and the fear of own mortality that drives us to drink so much on New Year's Eve. This makes no sense at all for, as we know few things shorten life as much as over indulgence and the foolish decisions we make when inebriated. How many people die at the start of each New Year because of alcohol, oh I'm sure there are plenty of government agencies who can give us the exact number but let just surmise that there are plenty. Don't get me wrong here I'm not preaching morals, I'll be partying at least as much as you will, I'm just questioning as to how the tradition got started.

Let's say you took all the New Year's Eve parties that I have attended in my life and listed them on separate cards, you can believe me when I say there have been many. Now take these cards and shuffle them, next I'll pick a card and I won't be able to say what year it came from. They all say the same thing; went out or stayed home, ate a little and then drank a lot. Came home late and felt bad the next day. Other than a few details, they would all be the same. Maybe it just the drunkenness that blurs all the memories and in reality every New Year's party has a delightful originality of its own but I seriously doubt it.

I have to own up to the fact that all these New Years' are starting to scare me. Now that I'm turning into an old man or at least that's what my driver's license is saying about me, I'm beginning to notice how fast the years are going by. You can only claim to be middle aged for so long before you lose creditability. If middle age is to mean you have lived half your life, then anything close to fifty is pushing the boundaries of believability. It won't be too long before saying 'wait until next year' starts to turn into a pipe dream. It is not the question of how many New Year's celebrations I have left, but the realization that it is no longer an infinite number that is startling.

So far, I have lived a wondrous life, not so much exciting and successful as comfortable and healthy and really, which is more rewarding. Do I have everything I want, not by a long shot but I do have everything I need which includes family and friends so what more could I ask. I am at that point of my life where I don't wish to look to the future. I feel I've been fortunate for my whole life and to look ahead and expect the same seems to me to be pushing my luck.

So, here's to you and yours with wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year and a prosperous new decade while I'm at it. Allow me to offer one piece of advice that my years have taught me, spicy food is the best way to cure a hangover.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • Happy New Year

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 29 milliseconds