• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Fae War Ch. 01

Fae War Ch. 01

What was it about her that turned every man into a total prick in three months or less? Henry had started out a sweet, slightly nerdy, nice-guy. Then in just ten weeks, while he had been talking about moving in together just a few days earlier, he suddenly had a job in a city three hours away and was moving his furniture when he remembered to call and let her know he was leaving. Just like that. Gone.

The highway was pitch black heading to her sister's beach house. After the call, Erin needed some time away. She had four nights off from her nursing job, so she called Riley and asked if the house was available. Riley was six years older than Erin, and married to a stuffed-shirt, Wall Street type, but she always came through for her baby sis. This was no exception.

Erin had been to the beach house, balanced on its stilts a storey above the sands, last summer with Riley and her kids. She thought she remembered the way, but in the dark, she began to wonder if she'd missed the turn-off.

She slowed her little Tercel in order to peer at the roadside more closely, to see if she could identify any landmarks. There was a loud "pop" followed by an even louder bang, and the steering wheel ripped from her fingers to spin wildly. She slammed on the brakes as she regained her grip on the wheel and managed to get the car to the shoulder.

Resting her head on the steering wheel, Erin took a few deep breaths to still the hammering in her chest. She had never blown a tire before, but from the sound and the way the wheel behaved, she assumed that was what had happened.

She opened her door and stepped out of the car. The driver's side looked fine in the little light provided by her headlights reflecting off the high grass beside the highway.

Walking around the car to the passenger's side, she blew out a breath seeing her rear tire in shreds. Those tires were only a year old! She was going to have a fit when she got home, talking to the manager at her favorite garage.

Lucky for her, she had AAA. Crawling back in the driver's seat, she pulled the card and her phone out of her purse. Damn! No service! Now what was she going to do? She hadn't seen a car for about the last ten minutes. She tried to remember how far back it was to the last gas station, or convenience store, or anything really. She hadn't been paying attention, but she didn't think she'd passed any businesses in a long time.

A sound caused her to jump. It was another of those popping sounds she heard before her tire blew out completely. Great! Was another tire going flat even as she sat there trying to figure out what to do next?

She was about to step out of the car when she saw headlights come over the rise behind her and she remembered to flip on her flashers, hoping the driver was a good Samaritan, not a psycho killer.

An older Durango passed her slowly, pulling in front of her and dropping into park. A dark form of a man stepped out of the drivers seat and headed back toward her. A sudden wariness caused her to lock her door and roll her window down just a couple of inches. The man was caught in the glow of her headlights for just a moment. He looked normal enough, about six feet tall, muscular, dressed in jeans and a button down shirt. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the badge clipped to his belt. What were the chances of the first car along to belong to an office of the law?

"Good evening, ma'am," he drawled in South Caroline style, eyes down, wavy dark blond hair messy from the breeze, "Did you have an accident?"

"No, not really. My tire blew out and I skidded to a stop here," she explained.

"You're travelling alone, then?" he asked, looking around her into her car.

"Um, yeah. I don't have phone reception here, but maybe you could contact Triple A for me. They can send someone to change the tire and I'll be on my way," Erin replied, feeling a little nervous again.

"No need," he replied, yanking a mini flashlight out of his pocket and circling the car, looking both inside and outside, as if he suspected more than a simple blown tire.

Erin wasn't sure what he was looking for, or what he meant by 'no need'.

"I'm not very good with automotive repair, so if you'd just radio for a service truck...," she suggested, feeling vulnerable.

"Pop your trunk," he ordered, "I'll change the tire for you."

"Oh," she responded, suddenly realizing she couldn't open her trunk from in the car, so she was going to have to get out of her relatively safe spot.

As she unlocked the car door, she noticed the man had started scanning his flashlight beam over the grass near the car. As she got out and came around to the trunk, he ignored her and scoured farther afield. She popped the trunk and pulled up the mat to reveal the spare.

He continued probing the darkness while she stood there getting more and more nervous.

"Are you looking for something in particular?" she asked, "Are there wild animals or something?"

"No, ma'am," he said, turning back to her, "Let me get that for you."

He proceeded to remove the tire and jack, hoist the car, change the tire, and began to put the materials away again without saying another word.

She watched him, thinking he would probably be good looking if he ever smiled. His bone structure was a little heavy, but well-formed. His eyes were light, but she couldn't tell what color in the poor light of the little flashlight.

"Um, thanks," she said, almost with a questing in her voice, "That was really nice of you."

"No problem," he answered, still not looking her in the face. "You passin' through?"

"I'm actually looking for the road to take me out to Beachcomber Bay. My sister has a house out there I'm using for a few days," she answered, surprised he showed any interest in her at all, after hardly speaking or looking at her this whole time.

His eyes met hers and she stifled a gasp. His eyes were light green and silver, with darker green rims on the inner and outer edge of his irises, and the pupils swiftly went from pinpoints to wide pools and back again.

"You should go back home," he said forcefully, but not entirely unfriendly. There didn't seem to be a threat in the words, only advice, which for the life of her she didn't understand.

"Uhh, thank you again for the help," she mumbled, backing to her door and opening it just enough to slip in and close it behind her. She tried to lock it without being too obvious.

"You passed the Beachcomber exit back about three miles. Have a good night," he said, returning to his car as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

She waited while he pulled away. When his taillights disappeared over the next little ridge, she started her car. Checking the mirrors she pulled out into the road and did something she had never even considered doing before: she drove straight across the grass median between the lanes and turned back the way she had come. She didn't want to risk catching up with her strange Samaritan, and suddenly she needed a glass of wine and a hot bath worse than ever.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Fae War Ch. 01

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 689 milliseconds