• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Summer Rain

Summer Rain

1234

This was one of the first things I ever wrote. It started as a paragraph a long time ago and grew into a four part story which I joined together.

There is no sex at all in this, and definitely no underage sex.

-----

When Kitty Met Eddie

She was always there at the same time. Surely it was a coincidence? Eddie Harrison had always thought so, until one of his workmates had laughingly said; 'She fancies you.' For heavens sake, she was at least ten years younger than him. But her face kept appearing when his mind began to wander.

He smiled at her through the lightly falling rain; she smiled back, flicking her wet hair from her face. It was a wonderful smile, lighting up her face, making her eyes sparkle mischievously. She wasn't exactly a Kathleen Turner except... Hadn't Kathleen Turner spent a good part of 'Romancing The Stone' looking somewhat bedraggled?

He watched as she delivered her papers. Was it him, or did she appear to hang back, to refrain from rushing, when he was in the same close? She really was quite pretty, he decided. She would probably look even better if it wasn't raining. If only she wasn't so much younger than him, still at school as far as he could tell.

The close was finished now, cleared of refuse. With one last joke, a cheery wave and then a wistful smile, he moved on.

-----

He was gone again. Would he ever speak to her without making a joke or some glib remark about the weather? Kitty Summers shrugged and carried on with her paper round. He was sort of nice though. Maybe a bit overweight, but not really fat or anything. He tried to sound all tough and macho, but his smile betrayed his soft heart. She shook her head and sighed. "Be sensible girl, he must be nearly twice your age and have a string of girlfriends. Why should he even look twice at you?" She spoke to herself. "And anyway, how can you have a crush on someone whose name you don't even know?" Then a thought struck her. Wasn't his name on the back of that jacket he always seemed to be wearing? She'd better get here on time next week and take a good long look.

-----

On Fridays they usually managed to finish early. Often Eddie would rush home, get changed and head off for the city centre. This Friday, he didn't. For some reason he felt he wanted to see her again. He had come to the local centre nearest the school on the pretext of paying some bills, hoping she'd see him. As soon as he arrived however, his nerve failed him, and he headed for the local shops to pay the bills. He was momentarily surprised to find quite a number of school kids about until he realised that it must be their dinner hour and that no-one stayed in school for that. After buying a soft drink, he sat down outside to drink it.

Suddenly he saw her, in the middle of a group of her friends. It was the first time he'd seen her without her damp anorak. Resplendent in her school uniform she looked divine. There may be prettier girls in the world but he'd fallen for this one. She caught him staring at her, so he looked away, embarrassed.

-----

When Kitty saw him outside the shops she was more than a little surprised. And when she realised he was staring at her, she blushed. On an impulse, and ignoring the astonished looks from her friends, she walked over to where he was seated and sat behind him. She tapped him on the shoulder and said "Hello." He jumped slightly, and then recovering, returned her greeting with a smile. Now What? She thought to herself. All her friends had moved away, so she felt a little emboldened.

"Were you looking for me?" She asked.

"Actually, I suppose I was." He mumbled, looking at his feet in embarrassment.

"I'm glad." She breathed, almost inaudibly.

"You are?" Eddie looked up. "That makes this a lot easier."

"What?"

"Could I possibly take you out somewhere tonight? The cinema or ...or somewhere?" He trailed off, his mind suddenly devoid of possibilities.

"I'd love to go with you." She answered excitedly. "Will you meet me here at, say seven?"

"All right." They both rose. She saw her friends leaving a shop and started over to join them. "At seven then." He said.

"Seven." She nodded. As she moved away she heard him call out.

"By the way, what is your name again?"

-----

Kitty was early she knew, but anxiety was troubling her. Had he really meant it? She would wait and see, at least until eight. She checked her watch, it was 6.47. As she turned the corner to the centre she spotted him, pacing up and down outside the newsagents. Stopping for a moment, she suddenly realised he was as worried as she was. Neither of them could believe it was really happening.

"Hi!" She called out. "I wasn't sure that you meant it." Eddie turned around, a grin brightening his face when he saw her.

"I couldn't lie to you, or stand you up." A frown clouded his expression. "Even though I'm not sure I should be doing this."

"Doing what?"

"Going out with someone so much younger."

"Don't worry about it, I'm not."

"I'll try." He clasped her hand in his. "C'mon, we've a bus to catch."

They sat together on the bus, shyly holding hands, making small talk. Inoffensive things like the effect of wet weather on their respective jobs, favourite music, what made them laugh. She found that although their musical tastes differed a little, the two of them shared the same bizarre sense of humour, and that he could make her giggle with ease.

-----

He couldn't believe that they were getting on so well. Kitty liked a joke as much as him, and her laugh... Well her laugh was a beautiful girlish laugh that tinkled gently. He'd missed most of the film because he could not take his eyes off her. She didn't have the blinding beauty of some, but she had a spark he'd never seen in any other girl. It must have been this recognition which had prompted him to blurt out his invitation.

About halfway through the feature she looked around at him.

"Why are you sitting so far away? I won't bite you." A mischievous grin rose across her face. "Unless you want me to."

A pained look creased Eddie's features. "Don't say things like that, it makes me nervous."

"Oh, come on. Hold hands." She grabbed his hand and clamped it firmly to the armrest, still grinning.

"Okay, okay." He laughed. "Why should I worry?" He freed his hand and put it around her shoulder, pulling her closer. "You really are something special you know?"

-----

After the film and a visit to the chip shop they caught the bus back. When they got off, he turned to her and asked "walk you home?" Kitty blinked in surprise.

"You mean it? Right to the door and everything?"

"I'll take you as far as you want." Eddie said, looking her straight in the eyes.

"Just to the end of the close for now, I think." She took his hand once more. They walked quietly. "You don't live around here do you?" She asked suddenly.

"No. I live on the other side of town."

"Got a telephone?"

"No. Not at the moment. You?"

"Yes. Want the number?"

"Yes, I rather think I'd like that." She produced a scrap of paper from her coat and scribbled some figures on it then handed it to him. He carefully folded it away, and then took her hand again.

She stopped at the end of a road. "We're here." She looked into his eyes. They sparkled in the moonlight, full of concern. "And don't worry." As Kitty spoke she pecked him on the cheek. He started in surprise, then gently held her head between his hands and softly kissed her on the lips. She kissed back. Then, pulling away, she waved. "See you then."

"Same time and place tomorrow?" He asked.

"Yes please. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, gorgeous."

-----

His feet didn't touch the ground as he made his way back to the bus stop. Now he knew he was dreaming. Kisses just didn't feel that good.

-----

She ran through the back door and up the stairs, calling out goodnight to her mother, quickly getting ready for bed. As she lay back on her pillow she ran the events of the evening through her mind. He really was a nice guy, and very thoughtful. None of her other dates had walked her all the way home without trying to kiss her. And the look on his face when she'd kissed him! She smiled. Then he'd kissed her properly, and the world had seemed to stop for a moment. She closed her eyes and snuggled beneath the bedclothes, still smiling.

-----

They were both early again. This was their third date. Eddie smiled as Kitty once more pecked him on the cheek.

"Where to tonight?" He asked.

"How should I know, you're taking me out, remember?"

"Touché milady." He bowed, smiling. "How would you like a meal?"

"The chip shop again."

"You wound me; I do have a little class. Have you ever been to "L'Chateau"?"

"No, that would be lovely. Isn't it a long way to go by bus though?"

"Yes it is. We however are not going by bus." He beckoned Kitty to follow him. "I have a little surprise for you." He led her into the car park and pointed to his new motorbike. Well, maybe not so new, but new to him.

"We're going on this?" She gasped. "But I don't have a helmet!" He produced two from behind the bike. "I'm not dressed for it."

"Don't fuss. You can wear my jacket, it should keep you warm." With a shrug she took the proffered jacket and helmet and pulled them on. "Hold tight around my waist." He paused. "I meant when we'd got onto the bike."

"Sorry, just a little joke."

"And only just. Are you ready? Then let's hit the road." The bike started first time. Eddie breathed a silent prayer of thanks, snapped down his visor and let out the clutch.

-----

Kitty glanced nervously around the restaurant, hoping that she wasn't doing anything glaringly wrong. As she looked back across the table she saw Eddie was watching her.

"Don't worry." He said, reaching over and holding her hand. "No-one cares about us. Just don't drop anything." He smiled that smile. "Or slurp your drink." He added.

"Okay." She grinned back. "You're in charge."

"I'm glad you realise that owwww!!" He said, as she rapped him over the knuckles with her fork. As the meal progressed her mind kept wandering back to the bike ride. At first she had been terrified. Of crashing, of falling off, of the wind blowing her skirt up. When none of these things had happened immediately, she had relaxed and begun to enjoy the experience.

"What are you smirking at?" His question made her start. She looked up guiltily.

"I was just thinking of the ride over, it was more fun than I thought it would be."

"It was, wasn't it?" This reply puzzled her a little. He made it sound as if he'd never been on a motorcycle before. Still, she wouldn't pry.

-----

The ride home was even better than before, as she could better appreciate the feel of the wind in her face. Back in the car park, he turned off the engine and the silence was almost deafening. She hopped off the back as he put the stand down.

-----

Eddie pulled off his helmet, and then turned to look at Kitty. She released her hair from its temporary prison and shook her head joyously. She had never looked better. This time he pulled her close and initiated the kiss. Still she didn't pull away, as he still feared she might, but instead responded strongly. For a long, long moment they stood, arms around each other in a kiss neither wanted to end.

Eventually they had to pull apart to take a breath.

"Wow!" She said. "Why didn't you do that before?"

"I have to work up to those things. Anyway, isn't it time you were at home young lady?"

"You sound just like my dad."

"Please don't say things like that."

"Sorry." She smiled. "What are we doing tomorrow?"

"Depending on the weather, I thought we might go for a spin in the country."

"Sounds great. Where and when?"

"Here at two?"

"Two o'clock it is. See you tomorrow then."

"Right. G'night legs." She smiled and walked off with an exaggerated swing of the hips. He watched her go, and then sat astride the bike, a worried frown creasing his face. This was getting more serious than was comfortable, and her remark about her dad was causing him to worry again.

-----

Three weeks and nine dates into the relationship and they agreed to go out for the day together. In the end they spent most of the afternoon walking around the hills, laughing and joking. The wind started to rise, so they sat in the lee of a clump of trees. Looking at Eddie, Kitty saw the worried look cross his face again.

"You've been thinking again, haven't you? I wish you wouldn't, it makes you really grumpy."

"I'm sorry, I can't help it." He sighed. "Anyway, I'm afraid I've come to a decision."

Kitty looked away, a heavy feeling suddenly clutching at her heart.

"Go on. I think I can guess what you're going to say." The sky seemed to darken to match her mood. Eddie turned her round to face him and kissed away the salty tears that had started to form in her eyes.

"You'd be much better off with someone closer to your own age." He shushed her as she started to protest. "I know that it sounds trite." He sighed. "You must know I have deep feelings for you, but I think it would be best to stop now, before things get too involved, before one of us does something they'd regret."

Kitty looked into Eddies eyes and saw that what he was saying was hurting him too.

"You may be right." She said quietly. "We're moving away soon in any case, when I finish school and go to university." She wiped the tears from her eyes and tried to smile. "Still, it was fun while it lasted, wasn't it?"

"It was the best time I've ever had." He gently put his arm around her. "Come on, I think it's time we were going."

-----

The ride back was uneventful. He dropped her off at the usual spot.

"Well, this is it then." Kitty said, her voice flat and emotionless. She took off the helmet and handed it over to him.

"Keep it." Eddie said quietly. "I could never let anyone else wear it now. Keep it as a reminder of the best time I ever had."

"Okay, not that I'll need much reminding." Now her voice was starting to quiver and he was afraid that he may be doing her more harm than good. He struggled to find something to say.

"Listen, you'll find someone else, someone better for you."

"You might be right." She looked up. "One last kiss Eddie?" She asked, begging with her eyes. He was sorely tempted to give in, but slowly shook his head. "Perhaps not." She looked to the ground. "Well I suppose this is goodbye then?" She turned and started to walk away.

"Goodbye princess. May the future treat you better than I have." He whispered to himself. With a heavy heart he started the bike up and began to move slowly off. After a few hundred yards he stopped and turned to look back. She was doing the same. A brief spark deep in his soul screamed out and he almost turned the bike around, but cold reason forced him to grit his teeth. He looked back once more, but she was gone. With a sob he let the clutch in and rode off into the gathering dusk. What had he done?

-----

Kitty Returns

It was funny, Eddie Harrison mused, he hadn't thought of Kitty too often in the last year or so. For four long years he had wondered whether he'd done the right thing. It had affected, or infected, the few relationships he'd had since the evening they'd parted, the guilt. The brief fling with Mandy, the briefer one with Jean. Then he'd finally asked Rachel out. For the next six months they had been almost inseparable, and he'd almost forgotten 'The Girl With The Smile'. Almost. Then the row had come and Rachel had left for America on her own. For the last few months he'd had little to do with women, and finally the memories had faded. Then this morning, riding to work on his motorbike, he'd realised Alex still had his spare helmet. He hadn't been without one since...

He wondered what had become of her. Things had certainly improved for him. He had his own refuse crew now and had passed his HGV test, meaning he sometimes got to drive the dustcart. He hoped she had done equally well for herself.

As he entered the office he saw a smirk on the face of the refuse manager.

"What?" He said, suspiciously.

"Eddie, good to see you."

"Just tell me what's wrong."

"We would like you to take a trainee reporter out with you today." The smirk widened into a grin. "A lady reporter."

"Oh thanks a bunch. Just what I need on a Friday." He paused to think. "I suppose you've already got Alex to take the calendar down?" There was an answering nod. "And I'd better warn the others about their language."

"That would be a good idea." The manager glanced out of the window and continued. "That looks like her arriving now. What was her name again, it's here somewhere?" He shuffled through some papers on his desk. "Oh yes. Katherine Summers." The name hit Eddie like a hammer-blow, it couldn't be!

"What name was that?"

"Katherine Summers."

He heard a gentle tap on the door, then the door opening. The manager went on.

"Ah, Miss Summers, come in. This is Eddie Harrison, in charge of the crew you'll be with today."

Eddie turned around slowly.

"Hello Kitty." He said. The polite smile on her face froze for a moment, and then spread into the huge grin he remembered so well.

-----

Kitty didn't really expect Eddie to still be working at the same job; he'd always seemed misplaced as a dustman. The most she was hoping for was that there might be someone who could put her in touch with him. She rapped lightly on the office door, and then went in. The refuse manager, who she had spoken to the day before, was talking to someone with their back to her.

"Ah, Miss Summers, come in. This is Eddie Harrison, in charge of the crew you'll be with today." At the mention of his name she faltered, her smile frozen. It wasn't possible! He turned around to face her, smiling that same wry smile she'd dreamt about for so long. She felt herself grinning like a schoolgirl once again.

"Hello Kitty." He said.

"Hello Eddie." She replied. There was an awkward pause as they both tried to think of something to say. Finally she spoke. "So, you're going to look after me for the day?"

"We shall endeavour to aid the fourth estate to the best of our meagre abilities." He nodded his head in parody of a formal bow. The manager snorted.

"You definitely read too much Eddie; you're starting to sound like a book. Go and get the rest of your rabble together while I have a few words with our charming guest."

As he left the office she noticed the sharp glance he gave the manager and wondered what it was about, then her eyes caught his and she found she couldn't break the contact until he'd left. When she looked back to the manager she found he had an inquiring look on his face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise that there was any history between you. I can get another crew to take you out if you'd prefer?" She looked away from him.

"No, it's perfectly all right, as long as Mr. Harrison has no objections." She sighed. "The whole thing happened some years ago now." She pulled her thoughts back together on the job in hand. "I will get to see how the whole crew works, won't I, not just the dustcart?"

"Sure, I'll have a word with Eddie. Just tell him what sort of thing you want."

"Now I'm not so sure." She muttered under her breath.

-----

He hadn't worked as fast for months, the refuse sacks went flying into the back, one after the other. The crew could barely keep ahead of him. Some force was driving him on. It was as if he had to keep her in view or he would lose her again. This sudden meeting had reawakened the feelings he had for her, feelings he thought long gone, but obviously they had merely been suppressed.

They came to the point where they had arranged to pick her up again. As he jumped out of the cab she flashed him a smile as she climbed in. Although he knew she was only talking with Alex he felt jealous. And all of the others had spent some part of the day with her. A sudden panic gripped him. Was she avoiding him? Perhaps she didn't still feel the same way about him as he did for her? Maybe she hated him for breaking her heart? He stopped still, calming his racing thoughts. He remembered her smile in the office. She couldn't hate him, not after a smile like that. Perhaps she was as unsure as he was. Then, a little more hopefully, maybe she was just doing her job?

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Summer Rain

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 90 milliseconds