• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Space Colony: Stella

Space Colony: Stella

A switch in emphasis, but carries straight on from 'EVE'.
I wanted to expand the character of 'Stella', this is the result.

****

From The Stars

Stella found Mikey where Eve had said he would be; at his favourite night fishing spot. He was laying back, hands behind his head with his shirt open and his fishing rod in the crook of his knee. 'He is kind of cute now' Stella thought as she crept up on him 'when did that happen?'

"Hiya Mikey! Caught anything or are you just drowning worms as usual?" She said, dropping to the ground beside him.

"Oh, it's you Stells." He said with a resigned grin, opening his eyes. "Bored with the wedding talk already?"

"Yep!"

"So you thought you'd come and torment me." He sighed.

"You're on form tonight Mikey boy, two out of two. I thought you'd like to know you're my number one target now."

"I thought I would be." He sighed again. "Couldn't you have left it a couple of days?"

"No time like the present." Stella grinned hugely.

"Why me? Isn't there someone more your age you could pick on?"

"It's more fun with you, and Besides, you are my age."

"I'm a year older than you." He said, sitting up.

"Eleven months actually." Stella retorted, attempting to pinch his arm and failing. "Ooo! Eve was right, you are more muscley now."

"And YOU are still a pain."

"I know, I know. I don't know why you put up with me."

"I have a choice?"

"Not really." She tried to pinch him again, on the stomach this time.

"Will you stop that?" Mikey said, grabbing her wrist.

"No!!" Stella said laughingly. She sat across his chest.

"Get off!"

"Nope!"

"Then I'm forced to do...THIS!" He suddenly rolled to the side and pinned her down with one hand and tickled her stomach with the other.

"STOP!!! STOP!!!" She gasped between laughs. "I'm sure there's a law about tickling a government official."

"There probably is. But YOU are only a temporary deputy." He continued his assault. "So it doesn't count."

"Stoppit, stoppit! I concede, I concede." She giggled. Mikey obligingly rolled back off her and resumed his laid back fishing. Stella looked at him sideways. "Mikey, would you miss me if I went away to be trained properly as a government official?"

"Yeah! I'd really miss being teased all day by a nutter." He opened his eyes again and looked into her face. "Any way, that'll never happen."

"Why not?" She pouted, disappointed by his reaction.

"Face it Stells, you're just to wild to become an official." He said.

"I am not! And I'll prove it too!! Tomorrow I'm asking Dee if he can get me onto the government training course." She crossed her arms huffily.

"Never gonna happen Stells. You might have the brains, but not the temperament." He grinned smugly. "Everybody knows that."

"I HATE YOU!" She screamed, getting up and stomping away. "I'LL PROVE I CAN DO IT, TO YOU AND EVERYBODY ELSE!" She shouted over her shoulder as she stormed off.

"That was easy." Mikey mused. "Maybe I should have tried that before." He closed his eyes again.

Stella knocked on the station door even earlier than usual. Dee opened it looking bleary-eyed and half-dressed.

"What's the matter Stella? Couldn't it wait for an hour?" He asked yawning.

"Maybe it could, but I want this done as soon as possible."

"WHAT do you want done?"

"Well, I was up all night..."

"You do look tired, or are those the remnants of tears?"

"I was up all night looking through my deputy handbook." She ignored the question. "If you recommend me as your permanent deputy, I can go to the academy on a one year course straightaway. Then when I pass I'm guaranteed to come back here to work for you!"

"And that's what you want is it?" Dee sighed. "All right, come in and I'll start the ball rolling."

"Thanks Dee!" She pecked him on the cheek and followed him to the radio in the main cabin. "Morning Eve!" She called as she passed the sleeping quarters.

"Stella! What are you doing here so early?" Eve asked incredulously as she came out of the bunk room, a sheet wrapped around her.

"I want Dee to send off my application to become an official government official as soon as possible." The years of teasing Eve proved too much. "I don't need to ask why you're here so early, or is it so late?" She asked slyly. Eve went red and ducked back into the sleeping quarters.

"I thought you were going to stop teasing her?" Dee called from the radio.

"Sorry, but that was too good too miss." She came up behind Dee. "Have you sent it yet?"

"No, the radio is still warming up. What's the big rush anyway?" He asked.

"It's Mikey's fault." Stella declared. "He said I'm not the right sort of person, and then he laughed."

"He laughed?" Dee said disbelievingly.

"All right, he smirked in that annoying way of his." She admitted.

"So?"

"So I want to prove him wrong. Nearly everybody thinks I'll fail anyway and I want to prove them all wrong."

"I believe in you, Eve believes in you, your parents and Dave and Lisa believe in you."

"But that's all! Everyone else thinks of me as the wild child, the rebel without a cause, the girl who shuns responsibility. I'm growing up now; it's time I did something sensible."

"All right, I'll do it. As long as it's not some knee-jerk reaction to yesterday and you're really serious."

"I promise I'm serious Dee. I want you and Eve to be proud of me. She's been like my big sister, everybody's big sister and I want to pay her back by lightening the load for you. It's the best way I can think of." The radio hummed as it came to life finally.

"Here we go then."

Ten days after the last small transport had visited 'Sideways Landing' another one was waiting on the landing site. Stella had been approved and was to report to the training academy. Her parents and Eve and Dee were saying their farewells.

"I won't be long, so don't all look so sad." Stella said. "Mom, tell Maggie she can have my room. I've left her a few things. And tell her she's to be Eve's bridesmaid now, her other big sister." She turned to Dee and Eve. "I'm sorry I'll miss the wedding, but this is important to me. I have to do it, you both understand?" They nodded. "Tell Lisa I'm sorry too, but Grace will be just as good as me as a bridesmaid, and she'll be better with the class than me. I never was that good at it, they all saw me as their naughty older friend. Perhaps this will change things."

Eve hugged her, she couldn't say anything. Dee shook her hand, and then pecked her on the cheek.

"Things will be dull around here without you." He said.

"Maybe." Stella grinned as she boarded the transport. "Maybe not!" Then, with a last cheeky smile and a wave she was gone.

"What did she mean by that?" Dee mused.

"I have an inkling." Her father said. "I suggest you keep an eye out for Maggie."

"Sweet little Maggie? Why?"

"Just a feeling. I do know both of my daughters and they are more alike than you think." He said darkly.

Mikey was watching the departure from a distance. He had really confused feelings. He tried to tell himself that he wouldn't miss his daily teasing from the effervescent Stella, but he knew he would. He knew she was doing this to prove him wrong, the whole village knew, but he hoped going away wouldn't change her. He loved her free spiritedness. His thoughts crashed to a halt. That wasn't all he loved! He suddenly realised that he loved Stella and that he had to tell her before she left. He began to run towards the transport but he'd left it too late and it took off before he could get there. He arrived, out of breath, amongst the others.

"Damn! Damn! Damn!" He shouted, kicking viciously at a fence post.

"What's the matter Mikey?" Eve asked quietly.

"Sorry." He apologised. "I just realised that there was something I needed to say to Stells, but I've blown it." He sat down heavily, a look of defeat on his face. "How does she do it? She even manages to wind me up when she's not here."

"I think it's just a knack in your case son." Stella's father said, a knowing look on his face. "Don't worry; she'll be back before you know it." The older man patted him on the back.

"But I'm going to be so bored. I spend half my time looking out for her next trick."

"Then I think you'd better keep an eye out for her sister instead." Dee said. "Come on everyone. There's still work to be done."

The year passed at different speeds for everyone. For Stella it flew by. The course was intense but she buckled down, possibly for the first time in her life, and enjoyed the strictness of the regime. Being Stella, she let off steam in her own inimitable way and soon gained a reputation as the academy's clown outside of the classes, but once inside the classroom she also got the respect of the tutors for her willingness to learn. Back at 'Sideways' the time went in spurts for most of the villagers. Before the two weddings it sped past, afterwards it slowed to its normal pace. The only person who felt the whole year seemed never-ending was Mikey. Even the teasings he got from Maggie, who had taken on her sister's role as joker for the village, didn't make up for the fact that he was missing Stella more than he thought possible. He completed his work without comment, and then went to help someone else, anyone else. He had to fill each interminable day to the fullest to ease the ache he felt. The only time he allowed himself to think about his loss was when he went night fishing. While his line was in the water he determined that he would have to say something to Stella when she came back, if she came back. He had a nagging feeling that being away from the small settlement would change her and either she wouldn't come back or she would be like someone else, not the fun-loving free spirit he had fallen for.

"This is transport 737K requesting landing clearance."

"Sideways Control. Clearance granted." Dee replied.

"Thank you Sideways Control. Landing in about ten minutes. Out." The voice over the radio seemed oddly familiar to Dee. It was cool and precise, but there was a hint... Suddenly he knew. He raced from the station over to the newly built post office run by his wife.

"Eve! Eve! Come quick. Stella's coming back. She just called up for clearance."

"Well, her year is up, I suppose it could be her."

"It is I tell you! Is Mikey about?"

"No. He's on the island building a proper clubhouse for the youngsters."

"Might be for the best." Dee said thoughtfully.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he's always been convinced that she won't come back the same, and I have to admit, she did sound different on the radio."

"Then we'd better go and see hadn't we?"

The transport touched down in a perfect landing. It looked fairly new too. Eve and Dee waited impatiently as the pilot finished all the checks before opening up. The hatch opened agonizingly slowly and then someone in a sparkling new official uniform stepped out.

"Officer Stella Bartowski reporting for duty sir!" She said, snapping off an immaculate salute.

Both Dee's and Eve's hearts dropped. It looked like Mikey had been right; Stella had changed beyond recognition. Dee managed to half-heartedly return the salute and then stepped forward with his hand extended.

"Welcome back Officer Bartowski." He managed to say.

Suddenly Stella burst out laughing and threw her arms around him.

"Oh the looks on your faces. You expected me to be different didn't you?" She hugged a bemused Dee and then ran to an equalled shocked Eve and hugged her too. "All I'm going to say is 'Gotcha!'"

Dee found his voice.

"You teasing little madam! Why didn't you call ahead?"

"No fun in that is there!" Stella took a step back from Eve. "Hey 'FB', are you putting on weight?"

Eve blushed and looked down.

"Sort of." She mumbled. Dee looked embarrassed too.

Stella had a sudden insight.

"You mean I'm going to be an auntie!! How wonderful!"

"Stella, slow down a bit." Dee said. "You've only been back five minutes and you're starting to be annoying again."

"Sorry about that. I'm just glad to be back. It was great at the academy, but this is home. This is where I belong. Don't tell me you didn't miss being teased?"

"Actually we didn't. It seems your sweet little sister Maggie 'found' someone's notes on how to wind everybody up and is now the most feared eight year old on the planet."

"Ah." Stella looked contrite momentarily. "Hey! Come and look at our ship." She said brightly.

"Our ship?"

"Yeah. They thought we might need one now, so I took pilot's lessons for an extra credit. She's built from parts of the hulk of the colony ship. I had something special built in. Come and see." The bubbling new officer led Dee and Eve inside the small craft and pointed to the partition behind the pilots' seat. It wasn't painted like the rest of the ship; it was still in the colours it had worn when it was part of the colonisation vessel. Stencilled on it, faded by time but still readable, was the designation D42. "I thought you might appreciate it." Stella looked worried that she might be wrong until Dee grinned and kissed her.

"Thanks, I love it."

"Good. Come on, let's get to the village. I want to meet everyone again."

"Everyone? Even Mikey?" Eve asked.

"Especially Mikey. I did what I set out to do, so now he can say sorry." Stella grinned.

"Don't be hard on him Stella; he's had a rough year. He's been moping around looking lost and lonely most of the time." Evie said quietly.

"Okay big sis, I won't rub it in, I promise." She stopped suddenly. "I've just thought, where am I going to stay? I gave my room at home to Maggie."

"You can have the station, we've moved into the post office."

"A post office? Anything else new?"

"You'll have plenty of time to catch up. Go see your parents and then you should stop at the hall with Grace and the class. They'll be thrilled to see you."

"Okay, let's go." Stella hefted her bag and trotted joyfully towards the village.

Mikey had set up his rod at his favourite spot for night fishing. He had seen the transport pass overhead earlier in the day while on the island but thought nothing of it; there had been an increasing amount of smaller craft coming in and out of 'Sideways' recently and he had so lost track of the passing months that he didn't connect it with Stella. In any case he had convinced himself that she wouldn't be coming back. Some time back he had come to terms with never seeing her again. He closed his eyes and laid down on his back into the position he normally assumed when fishing, rod held in his crooked knee. After a while he sensed someone come and stand beside him.

"Have you got a permit to be doing that?" An obviously female voice trying to sound deeper said.

"Buzz off Maggie; I'm not in the mood." He said without opening his eyes. He felt a gentle kick in his side.

"Who do think you're calling Maggie? I go away for a while and you forget me. I'm very disappointed in you Mikey."

His eyes snapped open.

"STELLA!!?"

"Still as sharp as ever Mikey. Missed me?"

"Since you set your sister up to torment me when you left, no, not at all actually."

"Liar! Eve already told me about you moping about."

"Co-incidence." He shrugged defensively.

"Liar!" Stella accused with a grin.

"Have you just come back specifically to annoy me?"

"Yes. Now tell me the truth."

"Oh, sit down Stells, you'll scare the fish."

"I'll sit down if you tell me the truth." She pouted.

"Just sit will you." Mikey swung his arm round and knocked her feet from under her. Stella landed hard on her bottom.

"Oww! That hurt! And watch the uniform, it's brand new."

"Sorry. And yes, I missed you. I couldn't have a decent argument with anyone."

"That's sweet. Well, sort of."

"What about you? You miss me?"

"I suppose. Teasing other people wasn't the same and they only argued about sensible stuff. Nothing like the silly things we argue about." She smiled. "But now I'm back we can just carry on where we left off."

"In that case..." Mikey reached over quickly and started to tickle the newly appointed officer.

"Stoppit! Stop!!" Stella giggled between breaths. "Please stop, I haven't been tickled for a whole year."

Reluctantly Mikey stopped.

"I suppose you've found out the correct punishment for tickling a government official now?" He asked.

"Yes."

"And it is?"

"You have to be severely kissed. Like this." Stella declared, rolling over and planting a kiss full on his mouth. He held her and kissed back.

"Stells, you haven't changed a bit. I'm so glad."

"I have changed in one way. I realised something while I was away."

"What?"

"I realised that..." She faltered.

"Shall I go first?" Mikey asked kindly. "Because I realised something too, the day you left. Officer Stella Bartowski, I love you." He said it matter of factly, looking deep into her eyes.

"I love you too Mikey." She kissed him again and then stopped. "Wait a minute; you've been teasing me the whole time?"

"Yes." He grinned.

"Another kissing offence I'm afraid."

"Do you know, I reckon you're making this up?"

"Disbelief, another kissable offence. You're really racking them up here." She laughed.

"Guilty as charged." Mikey threw his hands up. "Carry out the sentence."

"STELLA!" The radio crackled with Dee's voice. "You do know that your radio has been on the open channel for the past half an hour don't you."

"WHAT!!?"

"Interesting and instructive as this has been, Eve says I'd better tell you before you get carried away. There may be children listening."

She could hear the suppressed laughter in his tone. She quickly turned the radio off and then turned around to see Mikey hysterically laughing.

"And laughing at an official is definitely punishable by..."

Before she could finish Mikey had kissed her again.

"Yes, I'm a terrible lawbreaker."

Another kiss.

"I think I'll need constant supervision before I'm able to reform."

Another kiss.

"Will you be able to help out?"

Kiss.

"It's my duty to help you overcome your lawlessness."

Kiss.

Kiss.

"Good."

They melted into each others arms, thinking only of each other. The care of the new uniform and the scaring of the fish completely forgotten.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Space Colony: Stella

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 147 milliseconds