• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Worlds Apart Ch. 01

Worlds Apart Ch. 01

123

In my circle of friends, I embody the term "social butterfly." I do it without thinking, like breathing. Yet despite this innate ability, the last thing I wanted to do was go to Cristal's party tonight.

The invitation had said "house warming." But knowing my best friend, I could read between the lines. It was only an excuse for her to show off her decorating skills on yet another client's house.

Just because I wasn't in the mood to socialize didn't mean I was going to slack off in the appearance department, though. Six hours before show time, I visited my regular spa. My muscles half-asleep from my massage, I took a seat at Jacque's station and fingered a small white card that I had found tucked into my invitation.

He magically turned my straight mane of ebony hair into loose curls that bounced softly around my face, and I pondered the five simple words in a smooth, professional handwriting on one side of the card: 'Your Saks card is lonely.'

Normally, I don't indulge in a new outfit for these events as they tend to be numerous throughout the year. However, I could tell Cristal was up to another matchmaking attempt, hence the reason I had gone all-out at the spa.

My pampering complete, I browsed the rack of dresses at the mall, remembering the last guy she had try tried to hook me up with. Sure, he had been handsome...and rich...but I wasn't into the old-Jack Nicholson thing. I had been polite, but after the party, I had made it clear to my friend that she could have found someone closer to my age. Hopefully, the candidate tonight would be in his thirties, like me, or forties at the most.

I made myself fashionably late to the address located in the area of town where you had to have a six-digit bank account balance to even speak to a real-estate agent. I couldn't help laughing at the fact that there was a valet service as I pulled through the iron gates, up a manicured lane, and around the circle drive. This host had spared no expense...and Cristal would surely be reaping the benefits herself. As she was prone to remind people, her name was spelled and pronounced "like the champagne, not the chandelier," and her taste far surpassed her self-worth.

I had never quite understood her obsession with catering only to the wealthy as their attitudes and opinions tended to be up in the stratosphere. But I wasn't going to complain when the sexiest Latino this side of the border opened the door to my Mazda Miata...and then offered me a hand. Whatever he said I could not understand, but it rolled off his tongue in fluent Spanish, and ended with "senorita" and a kiss brushed across my knuckles. Maybe this wouldn't be such a drag tonight.

"Danae!"

I heard my name as soon as I walked through the ornately-carved front door—held open by a butler in a black tux, no less. Arms surrounded me as soft lips kissed both of my cheeks and the heady scent of jasmine filled my nostrils.

"Hello, Cristal. It's good to see you." I hugged her back and returned the gesture she had picked up in Europe during her frequent travels.

"I thought you'd never get here." She held me out at arm's length. "You've been shopping! Excellent choice. He'll love it."

"Yes, I got your message. I'm glad you approve."

I glanced at my reflection in the gilded mirror behind her. The off-the-shoulder sapphire-blue cocktail dress I'd chosen covered all of my assets, but not entirely, leaving just enough to the imagination. And the satin material shimmered under a thin layer of black lace to the effect that my dark hair had a blue tint. Paired with a lace choker embedded with blue rhinestones and matching teardrop earrings, it was a wonder I wasn't blinking like a Christmas tree under the lights of the gigantic chandelier above us.

I let her take my arm and lead me away from the front door, my heels clicking on the marble-tiled floor. "Who exactly is he?"

Cristal squeezed my arm and whispered in my ear, "He is the owner of this fine establishment."

I took in the expansive foyer as we walked. A crackled-faux finish covered the walls. The focal point was an alcove with a chaise lounge in a cream material with a bolt of burgundy fabric draped over it. Anyone else would have said it had been thrown there, but knowing Cristal, it had been placed just-so to get the desired effect. An antique vase on a broken stone pedestal and a cluster of grapes spilling out of a bowl on its side were arranged on the ground. A vineyard mural decorated the alcove's inset.

"Do we get to visit Tuscany throughout the house, or just in the entryway?"

Her lower lip appeared, as well as the puppy-dog eyes, which on her were truly chocolate brown. The huge diamond on her ring finger proved that the look had worked at least once. "You don't like it."

"I didn't say that. I'm just trying to get a...feel...for this new candidate. I mean, if he wants to decorate the house like a villa, he should have just bought one instead of renovating a Chicago mansion. Save the taxpayers some money."

"Sometimes I wonder why I invite you to my parties." She stopped before a pair of open French doors. "Please behave. Pretend if you have to."

I gave her a squeeze in return. "You invite me because I'm your best friend. And you need me to keep the conversation flowing...even if it is as eye candy."

"Good evening, ladies," a velvety-smooth masculine voice said, interrupting our little tête-à-tête. "Madame Cristal, I see your guest has arrived."

I mouthed "Madame?" at Cristal. When I turned toward the owner of the voice, I found myself struck speechless by a pair of eyes that matched my dress, save for the depth in the former that made me feel like I was being drawn into a dark pool.

"Vincente, please meet my best friend, Danae. Danae, our host, Vincente."

His eyes locked on mine, and he took my hand from Cristal's arm, lifting it to his lips. I jerked slightly at the coolness of his skin. But if I had thought the valet's kiss was sexy, this guy made it seem like we were the only two people in the world and our fate balanced on the result of this sole act. His lips were just as cool—almost icy—but his breath was warm as it caressed my fingers. A mixture of shivers and heat rushed up my arm.

I blinked and forced a smile despite the confusion I felt. This man was definitely an enigma. While I normally embraced a challenge like him, something told me to keep my distance tonight. "It's nice to meet you, Vincente. Your home is lovely, from what I've seen so far. Cristal has done a wonderful job."

"I am greatly pleased that you are impressed, Madame Danae." He stepped to the side and gestured for us proceed. "If you would both please join me in the parlor, the celebration has already begun."

###

I passed the next few hours standing amongst small clusters of guests, sipping expensive champagne—Cristal's namesake if my taste buds were correct—taking in the surroundings, and eavesdropping for feedback. The villa theme had thankfully ended in the foyer. The parlor had been done in shades of blue and gold. And while modern and comfortable, there was still an air of wealth in the fabrics and décor as well.

The overall consensus was that everyone was impressed with the renovations. However, no one knew anything about our tuxedo-clad host with the thick black hair slicked back from his tanned, chisel-carved face except that he was not from America. And obviously had money to spend. Not to mention he was gorgeous and most likely single.

Even more perplexing was that from an appearance standpoint, he seemed to be around my age—mid-thirties. But his whole demeanor said he was older. Much older.

I was nibbling on an hors d'oeuvre of stuffed mushrooms when a tinkling bell silenced the room.

"If you would all be so kind and join me in the foyer, the tour will begin now." Vincente's deep voice reminded me of The Old Spice Man in the modern commercials, and goosebumps prickled my arms. He raised one hand, flicked his fingers once, and then proceeded to lead the guests through Tuscany to the main staircase.

"Well, what do you think?" Cristal linked her arm through mine. We trailed after the group who whispered amongst themselves as our guide explained what aspects had been remodeled and why.

"It's a lovely house. I said that already." I shrugged and leaned in to get a closer look at a statue of two snakes carved out of marble. They were intertwined in what could only be perceived as a sexual position, and their placement on a pedestal at the first landing made it hard to miss. "If you've seen one, you've seen them all."

Cristal snickered and then tugged me along. "I was referring to the man, not the house."

"Vincente?" I raised an eyebrow and pursed my lips. "He is very attractive."

"But?"

"There's just something about him...I don't know what it is."

"You, my dear, are too picky."

"Well, if I were to settle down with one of your many suitors, you would no longer have any fun trying to set me up."

Cristal only rolled her eyes and pointed out another statue. This one was a nude man and woman, also engaged in sex. She waggled her eyebrows at me and then tugged me onward.

I wondered how many more statues were displayed on the premises. Had Cristal found them or had he? And how much longer was this going to take? While I'd enjoyed being pampered and getting dressed up, I still wished I were home tonight, curled up with a good book.

On the third floor, Vincente pointed down one hallway toward a set of closed wooden doors and simply said, "My private quarters lie beyond. And they shall remain private."

Several women giggled as Vincente winked and flashed a grin at them. When our eyes met, though, I swear the color of his eyes deepened and his smile hardened for the slightest moment. It was the most seductive look I'd ever received from a man. And if I didn't know better, it was suggestive as hell.

I suppressed the moan that slithered up my throat. Thankfully, he turned to lead the group onward.

"I didn't get to renovate his quarters." Cristal jerked her chin back over her shoulder. "He was insistent on that. Kept the doors locked."

"That's understandable." We squeezed ourselves onto a balcony that looked down on a library. "At least the man has some dignity."

She frowned. "But aren't you the least bit curious?"

"The least bit." But I was instantly jealous of all the books lining the floor-to-ceiling shelves. I wondered what topics they covered. How old they were. And had he read any of them.

"Would you like to see them up close?" Vincente whispered in my ear.

I froze, my heartbeat doing a happy little pitter-patter as his breath caressed my neck. Slowly, I turned, only to stare into those mesmerizing blue orbs again. I hoped my cheeks weren't revealing the heat I could feel in them now. "The books? I'd love to."

Cristal winked at me as Vincente took my arm once more. I tried to ignore the whispers as he led me ahead of the group and we headed downstairs to the second floor.

He told a story about how he had acquired some of the books, but my mind was elsewhere. Mostly on how warm his fingers felt against my bare skin. Controlling yet gentle. Almost burning, branding me. It was maddeningly delicious. And ultimately strange since his touch had been cool only minutes earlier.

He continued to escort me throughout the second floor as he unveiled guestrooms, sitting rooms, two more libraries, and a very elaborate bathroom that I could have fit my entire condo in. Back on the first floor, among the many rooms we visited, I was most impressed with the ballroom, the gourmet kitchen, and finally the largest dining room I had ever seen.

"I used to hold many dinners and balls in my former home. The table was custom made to seat fifty." Vincente leaned in to whisper to me again. "It is most comfortable with just two, also."

The shivers returned. I refused to look at him, to let him see my reaction. I merely smiled and nodded, letting him lead me back to the parlor where the party had begun. When he stepped away to mingle with the other guests, I felt a sudden emptiness.

"Well, aren't you something special?" Cristal squeezed my hand and offered me another glass of champagne, which I declined with a wave of my hand. "I think he likes you."

I snorted softly, not wanting to hope. "You think everyone likes me."

"We'll see." And with that she wiggled her fingers at me and walked off, too.

I found myself standing alone by the French doors, torn between wanting to sneak out and wanting to stay. I had finally decided to leave and feel miserable at home alone when I turned and ran into the literal abs of steel—Vincente.

"Leaving so soon, Madame Danae?" His fingers brushed my forearm when he reached out to steady me. His hand lingered mid-air, a hairs-breadth away, but it felt as if he were touching me all the same. I wanted him to touch me. I found myself silently begging for it.

"I-I need some fresh air." For some reason, I lowered my eyes. I tried to swallow, but when I noticed his groin, how it seemed to move—not just bulge—I choked.

"Maybe the crowd is too much for you. Would you care to visit somewhere more quiet?"

"Won't your guests miss you?" I couldn't think of any other valid reason to deny his request. I glanced up at him then. His eyes seemed to shine now.

"They are not here to see me. It is my house that interests them most."

"Who can blame them?" I suddenly wanted nothing more than to go with him. But still I hesitated to follow when he backed into the foyer. "Your library alone has me green with envy."

He chuckled softly. "Honesty is a good virtue. So let me be honest with you, mademoiselle. Your friend has been most entertaining while she helped me renovate my new home. And she has brought many interesting guests to see the success. However, you are the one I wish to be entertaining myself."

Once again, my cheeks burned. And I itched to be beside him. So I allowed him to take my hand and lead me to the stairway. His cool palm warmed against mine, and I instinctively gripped it tighter. As we ascended, I glanced into the parlor and saw Cristal lean back and catch my eye. Her eyes and her grin grew wide, and then she turned back to the couple talking to her.

When we passed the second floor landing, I paused. "We're not going to the library?"

"Too easily distracted." He continued on, and I could only follow, somewhat curious now.

At the third floor landing, he turned down the hall to his private quarters. My heart skipped a beat. When we reached the double-wooden doors, he inserted a key and punched a code into a keypad in the wall. There was a soft snick as a lock released, and then he opened the door.

"After you, Madame Danae."

I slinked past him and stopped in my tracks. It was like we had entered another time, and I don't mean the Tuscan countryside downstairs. The main room looked like a scene from a movie about the 1500s, but I was sure none of the pieces of furniture or art were props. All that was missing were stone walls and turrets. I heard Vincente chuckle behind me.

"You are easily shocked, mademoiselle." He pressed a hand to my back and gently guided me inside so he could close the door.

"I'm sorry, I just hadn't expected..."

"Your mind has limitations. You have to...what is the term? Think outside the box? Let your mind expand to the possibilities. Would you care for a drink?"

I think I nodded, hoping I wasn't gaping. I felt out of place, practically naked in my little cocktail dress. Although Vincente didn't seem to mind.

He left my side and poured red liquid from a crystal decanter into two wine glasses. He acted at ease in the old-fashioned but elegant room. As if he actually believed he was in 16th Century France, not just a room decorated like it.

He handed me a glass and then took my free hand, leading me to a velvet-covered couch—or rather, a settee if one was using the proper term for the time period. "Please, sit, Madame Danae."

"You know, you can just call me Danae."

"As you wish. It is a beautiful name."

I blushed again and tipped my chin toward him as he sat in a high-back chair situated at an angle across from me. He crossed his legs and took a sip from his glass. I mimicked him, and felt my eyes widen as the liquid coated my tongue and slowly slid down my throat.

"Is this wine?"

"In a way." He smiled and cupped the glass in his palm. "It is better. It is a delicacy where I come from. Do you like it?"

"Yes, very much so. Although, it's hard to describe the taste."

His smile grew wider. His eyes lit up as he sat back. "Please try. I am curious about what you think."

I took another small sip, swished the liquid around in my mouth, and then swallowed. "It has a velvety texture. It doesn't taste like grapes. Maybe berries? But not fruity."

He only lifted his glass to his lips and sipped.

Something inside of me fluttered at the sight of this handsome, mysterious man watching me, sipping a strange drink that made my own mouth salivate. Wine usually dried out my mouth, although I wasn't opposed to drinking the good stuff. But this—whatever it was—was so delicious, I couldn't get enough of it. I wanted to gulp my whole glass. I felt like I hadn't had anything else to drink in ages. I didn't want anything else.

For the longest time, I just sipped out of politeness, somehow tearing my eyes from him to look around. I still couldn't believe the different decorating style compared to the rest of the house. If Cristal had been allowed in here, she might have had a heart attack from so much joy at seeing a treasure like this. Everything looked vintage—and in perfect condition.

"Is this more to your liking, Danae?"

I blinked and turned my attention back to him. He gestured to where I was sitting and then the room in general. I nodded. "It's quite comfortable. And yes, it is quiet."

"Relaxing, yes?"

"Of course."

"Are you currently engaged with anyone, Danae?"

I tried not to laugh. The man was so formal. Yet candid. "No, I am not dating anyone. Much to Cristal's dismay."

"Ahh. She would like to have you settled down as she is?"

I merely smiled and shrugged.

"Is that something you would like?"

"Maybe. Someday."

"Where I come from, a lady was courted. Intendeds were chosen by the suitor's parents and prepared at an early age. When they were old enough, they would attend many dinners and balls to be introduced to society as a couple before the wedding ceremony took place."

"Arranged marriages?"

"Yes. It is the way of the world sometimes."

I shook my head. "That doesn't seem fair to either the man or woman. Or the boy or girl in this case. I just don't believe in it."

"What do you believe in, Danae?"

I shifted to get more comfortable in the corner of the settee and thought for a moment. "Love, I suppose. Mutual attraction and desire."

"Interesting. If it eases your mind, the most handsome of men would have fought to be your suitor. You would not have been unhappy."

Heat warmed my cheeks, and I wished I wasn't embarrassed so easily. At least by him. "Well, that's promising. Tell me, Vincente, what was the purpose of marriages where you come from?"

He lifted his glass and watched me over the rim as he sipped. And then he said, "Reproduction."

"Really?" I scrunched up my nose. "That's so...animalistic."

"It depends on how you view it. Are we not all animals at some point? Especially in the sexual arena? You and I are not so much different."

I did laugh this time. "Honey, we are so different. I would only marry a man if I loved him...and he loved me. If we had children, so be it. But it's not the sole reason to get married."

"Would you sleep with a man you did not love? Did not marry?"

I couldn't answer that one honestly. For all the men Cristal had set me up with, I had not slept with any of them. I don't think I was saving myself for a special occasion like a honeymoon, but I had not felt that pull that I wanted to engage intimately with a man. At least not until tonight.

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Worlds Apart Ch. 01

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds