• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Meant to Be Ch. 03

Meant to Be Ch. 03

Victoria Scottsdale could not make sense of what was happening to her. Since her husband, Robin, was lost in the skies over France over three years ago, she hadn't allowed herself to take an interest in anything. She worked at the flower shop but really didn't care about it. She lived with her mother and was involved in many of the activities in Duckworth but overall it was a dull and boring life. She accepted that and was resigned to spend the rest of her life that way.

In many ways she was like the young girls in the village; trapped in Duckworth, with very little chance of ever getting out. Vicki thought of Bridget Monahan, the town's teacher. Bridget was a bright, cheerful young lady who always had a smile and kind word when they met. Bridget wasn't the type to give up hope. She was going to find a bright young man and go places, away from here.

Vicki sighed, just like myself 6 or 7 years ago. She remembered meeting Robin, the whirlwind romance and the exciting life they had together. She was in love with the idea of being in love. It was like a dream that should have never ended. But it did and she hid away the pain now by saying she didn't care about anything.

Then Aaron Williams walked, rather crashed into her life and all that seemed to end. There was something about him that intrigued her, excited her. It was foolish as she knew next to nothing about him. Yet she found herself thinking about him, from time to time. She wanted to know more about him but she tried to convince herself that it was unimportant. He said the next time he could be free, he would stop and see her. She found herself looking forward to that time.

"Hello, Mrs. Scottsdale," Bridget said as she entered the shop. "I need some flowers to brighten up my classroom. You know what I mean."

"Yes, I do," Vicki replied. "I have just the ones."

Vicki led Bridget over some fresh cut flowers. "I think these will do."

As the two stood at the counter, Vicki looked over Bridget. The young girl was dressed in a light blue dress that accented her figure. Bridget was a little heavier than her but in all the right places. She could see why men might be attracted to her. Also Bridget was bright, not like some of town's young girls. Vicki could sense that Aaron might like that. She didn't know why she was doing it but she felt the need to size up the girl. Plus she might learn something about Aaron.

"Didn't I see you walking with a young man about 2 weeks ago? Someone special?" Vicki handed her the flowers.

"I hope so, Mrs. Scottsdale," Bridget answered. Her voice gave away how she really felt. "He's a pilot at the air base. An American."

"Really," Vicki said. "Do you know anything else about him? I mean, you wouldn't want to rush things, would you?"

"No, no, it's not like that. He went to Princeton University and he knows a lot about English literature. His favorite author is Sir Walter Scott. Mine's Jane Austin. He is the first man who seems to care about what I like. He treats me nice."

"That's important, Bridget. You deserve that. Men like that are hard to find."

Bridget leaned over the counter and said softly. "You know a lot more about these things than I do, you know, being married. Can I ask you a personal question?"

Vicki became flustered and she blushed. Was she going to ask about sex? O Lord, how could she answer the girl about that? Robin was the only man she ever made love to. It was nice but she really didn't know better. Robin seemed satisfied but in the back of her mind she wondered if he wanted more.

Bridget noticed the confused look on Vicki's face. "Oh no, Mrs. Scottsdale, it isn't about that!" Now it was Bridget's turn to blush.

"That's a relief." Vicki laughed. "I don't know if I'd be much help with that. So what's your question?"

"Last week when Aaron came over we were supposed to go out. I had a nice dress all picked and everything. Instead he wanted to stay in. He didn't care that I wasn't dressed or anything. He told me I looked nice any way. Then he cooked dinner for us. Wouldn't let me doing anything. He waited on me. I never heard of man doing that for a woman. What do you make of that?"

Vicki laughed again. "Bridget, I think you found quite a young man there."

Sixteen missions in the book and their luck still held. No one had been hit yet and "Tantalizing Take-off" was still in one piece. On the last flight, a bombing run over a marshalling yard on the outskirts of Paris, the crew had its first serious problem. After dropping their load, "Tantalizing Take-off" was hit by flak in the outboard starboard engine. A fire broke out and the prop began to run wild. Aaron calmly hit the extinguisher for the engine. Fire quickly went out. The next step was to feather the prop. Again Aaron took all the right steps and it stopped turning.

Good thing it was a short distance to the Channel and there was fighter cover because the loss of power and the drag the prop caused them to fall behind the formation. Then over the coast No. 3 engine began to run rough and the oil pressure fell. It was only 20 minutes to the field but it was the longest 20 minutes Aaron ever had as a pilot. He brought the big bomber in smoothly and as it taxied to a stop he let out a long breath.

"Nice job! Aaron," Archer said patting him on the back. "It looked a little rough there but I knew you pull us through."

Aaron smiled back. He didn't dare tell him that he was scared to death that they might not make it. "Give me a minute. I want to check a few things."

"Sure. See you at the briefing. I knew you do it."

Aaron released his hands slowly from the wheel. They were shaking and he broke into a cold sweat. How many more times could he continue to fool Archer and his crewmates? He knew how lucky they had been. It couldn't last forever.

Vicki opened the door. "Aaron, what are you doing here?"

"You said it was alright for me to see again. So here I am."

"Yes, I know I did but..." her voice trailed off.

"Did I come at a bad time?"

"No, no." She invited him inside. "It's just that tonight is the night I go with my mother to the local hall for the monthly dance."

"Good evening, Lieutenant," Vicki's mother came up next to her daughter.

"Good evening, ma'am."

"Mother, I was just telling him about your dance and he was just leaving."

"Nonsense, dear." Her mother turned to Aaron. "Young man, I would like you to accompany us. Nothing but a bunch of old fuddy-duddies there anywhere. Besides it would good for Vicki to have a man closer to her own age to talk to."

"Mother!" Vicki exclaimed.

"I'd be delighted," Aaron said extending his arm.

It was a short walk to the hall and she was right. The men were all over 50 easily. That is if you didn't count the ones between 13-16. It seems the teenagers like to attend because it gave them an opportunity to dance and have fun. The older folks didn't mind as they were well behaved and added a little life to the place.

The band was the same mix, old and young. They played all types of music, all easy to dance to and all slightly off key.

Vicki headed over to the large table off to one side. Aaron followed behind her. On the table were a large punch bowl, some pastries, some finger sandwiches, and a big urn of hot coffee.

"I thought coffee was hard to get," Aaron whispered to Vicki.

"It is but see that man over there." She pointed to an older man standing across the room. To Aaron he looked a little like Victor McLaglen. "He knows people. So every dance, he says he will provide the coffee and here it is. Nobody asks."

Aaron helped Vicki with refreshments and watched the people dance. Those who spoke to Vicki seemed to address her with upmost politeness.

After about an hour, a young girl, about 16, came up to Vicki. "Mrs. Scottsdale, will be alright if we ask the Lieutenant to dance?"

Vicki looked at Aaron and laughed. "Why don't you ask him?"

Aaron looked at Vicki.

"This young lady would like to dance with you?"

"Well, I don't know."

"Go. What can it hurt?"

The young girl grabbed Aaron's hand and led him out on the dance. One of the youngsters signaled the band and it broke in an enthusiastic version of "In the Mood." The teenagers took over the dance floor, all dancing their steps to the jitterbug. Aaron started to dance with the one girl but it seemed all wanted to dance to him. They cut each other until a circle formed around him and his latest partner. It seemed the music would never end but Aaron danced with them all.

Vicki stood behind the table and watch. She began to laugh at the show; so hard tears rolled down her cheeks.

As the music ended and the people applauded at his antics, Aaron staggered over to Vicki. "What's so funny," he gasped and scooped a cup of punch. "Don't laugh, you're next!"

He reached out and pulled her around the table.

"No, Aaron, no."

"Come on."

The band played a quieter, slower song, one the older folks could dance to. Aaron held Vicki's left hand and reached around, placing his hand on the small of her back. She tensed up.

"Relax," he said quietly, "Just follow me." He pushed gently on back, moving her closer. Their bodies touched.

Vicki hadn't danced with a man in over 4 years. She and Robin had danced plenty of times during their marriage. At first she loved to dance but Robin never liked to. He wasn't very good at it and Vicki believed this was why he didn't like to. He wanted to be the best at everything he did.

Aaron moved effortlessly around the dance. He was easy to follow. More they danced, the more she relaxed. She looked up at him and smiled.

"That's it. You're great," he said.

Just the slightest pressure on her back encouraged her to move closer. She didn't resist. Vicki snuggled in closer. Aaron could feel her warmth through her light cotton dress and smell her perfume. It wasn't the flowers, it was her.

When the music ended, Vicki took a second to break the embrace. As she did, Aaron noticed her face was flush. "Are you all right?"

"Yes but it seems a little warm in here."

The band was rising out of their seats indicating the evening was drawing to a close. People began to exit, saying their good-byes. Two of the teenage girls came over to say good-bye to Aaron and thank him for a great time.

"Looks like you have some admirers," Vicki said.

Aaron shrugged.

They walked back to the house. Standing on the porch together, Aaron made to say his good night.

"Wait," Vicki said. "It's a warm night and the sky is clear. Would you like to sit on our swing in the back? Its early." She almost said please.

They walked around back and sat on the swing. Vicki pulled up her legs and sat Indian style, facing hm. "Tell me about the States. Better yet, tell me about you."

Aaron told her about his family, his father who was a small town doctor, and his mother, a simple housewife. He had two younger sisters; the older of the two a senior in high school now.

As he talked, Vicki could tell by his voice how much he loved his family. And he did, she moved closer, to be nearer.

"Look, a shooting star," he said pointing skyward.

She twisted to see it. "Where?"

"You missed it."

Vicki moved so she leaning against him, her legs stretched on the swing. She rested one hand on his knee and pulled his arm over her shoulder, holding her to him. It felt good. She hadn't felt this way in a very long time, too long. She didn't realize how much she missed the feeling of a man's arms around her. But why Aaron? Why now?

They continued to talk. More stars fell and she didn't miss them.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Meant to Be Ch. 03

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 48 milliseconds