• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • The Girl with No Name Ch. 19

The Girl with No Name Ch. 19

123

Chapter Nineteen – The Sapphire Necklace

The Grand Duchy of Upper Danubia spent the autumn of 1754 recovering from the war. The country gave thanks to the Creator for having spared the central valley, but the province of Hórkustk Ris, which had been devastated and depopulated, would take years to recover. The Grand Duke was very active in planning the province's future, realizing that he had the opportunity to shape an entire region to fit the needs of both the Duchy and the Royal Household.

The province's lack of defenses was a problem the sovereign needed to immediately address. He would reserve territory for a replanted forest from which Royal Guards could launch raids against any future invaders. He also ordered the official abandonment of the ruined city of Hórkustk Ris. The new provincial capitol would be located further south in Iyóshnyakt-Krepóckt. The southern town had been little more than a large farming village in 1754, but over the ensuing decade it would become the most important city in the region, boasting the Royal Army's largest garrison. The Danubian Church built a new Temple based on the design of the one in Starívktaki Móskt, which signaled the Duchy's religious leaders were officially turning away from traditional Christian architecture. Old churches and cathedrals from the "Roman" era would be left in place, but any new ones would be built according to the pre-Christian design.

The Grand Duke continued ordering heavy stones and other building supplies to be brought into the area surrounding the capitol for the planned expansion of the city wall. Throughout the winter the kilns burned non-stop and massive piles of bricks and blocks kept growing. The population, which had not seen how useless the walls in Hórkustk Ris had been against the Army of the Red Moon's cannons, happily anticipated building the new defenses and living in a more secure city.

Silvítya looked over the castle wall with a spyglass that she had borrowed from Protector Buláshckt. She studied the building materials and construction stockpiles, wondering what really was happening. She remembered the words of the wagon driver on the day she entered the capitol for the first time:

"I think the Grand Duke's wasting our effort, if you ask me. A new wall isn't going to do us any good. All it takes is some cannon balls and the whole thing comes crashing down... Stone doesn't beat gunpowder... not for very long, at any rate."

The siege of Hórkustk Ris had amply proved the wagon driver's opinion. Certainly the Grand Duke was as aware of the uselessness of city walls as anyone so, why was he still planning to build a new one around the Danubian capitol? It just didn't make any sense.

----------

Silvítya attended the births of several children during the weeks after she returned to her normal life in the Royal Residence, including the babies of ex-concubines. It was strange to see her former "sisters" after not having seen them for six or seven months and knowing they soon would be leaving the castle and starting new lives. It was nice to get caught up on news with her old companions and tell them what had gone on in the concubine group since they had left. The new mothers had plenty of news about happenings in the capitol, since their lives in the maternity wing were not nearly as restricted as life in the concubines' quarters.

The Grand Duke trusted Silvítya more than anyone else in the castle to oversee the successful deliveries of his offspring. He did not love his former mistresses, but was very concerned that the babies and their mothers were healthy. The women would be properly taken care of as long as their children stayed alive, but the ruler made it very clear that if anything bad ever happened to one of his children, regardless of whether or not the mother was to blame, she would be kicked out of her house, her goods would be seized, and the support she was receiving from the Royal Household would immediately stop.

The Grand Duke had fathered dozens of children over that past decade. Once a woman became his concubine, the only way she could leave the castle was to become pregnant. The Grand Duke obviously wanted as many children as he would possibly have, but why? The children were all illegitimate, so none of them could become legal heirs to the throne. Why was he spending so much time and money impregnating ordinary women and then sending them away to live out their lives scattered around the Duchy?

----------

After returning to the castle, Silvítya resumed her status as the Grand Duke's "favorite" concubine. She could freely move about the Royal Residence and go as far as the end of the garden. The Royal Guards would not let her go beyond the far edge of the planted area, but still, it was wonderful to spend time outside the castle and be able to look out at the capitol and surrounding areas. Even as the autumn progressed and being naked outdoors became increasingly uncomfortable, Silvítya was happy to be away from the stifling atmosphere of the castle and the continuous chatter of her companions.

Throughout the autumn, supply caravans pulled into the castle to off-load food and charcoal and ensure its inhabitants had what they needed to pass the winter comfortably. Silvítya often braved the wind to watch the supply wagons off-load, to see what was coming into the castle and hear gossip and news about the rest of the Duchy.

She was surprised when several wagons entered the castle loaded down with heavy powdery black rocks. Seeing the rocks reminded her of her days in Babáckt Yaga's settlement and filled her thoughts with regret and nostalgia. Only two years had passed since she had been a Follower, but it seemed so much longer than that: an entire lifetime.

Silvítya examined one of the rocks, picking at it with her fingernails. It was still strange to think this thing would actually catch on fire. She remembered the conversations she had with the Grand Duke over the previous winter about the various inventions of the Followers. She realized the Grand Duke had listened to her seriously and had taken an interest in cave-charcoal. She talked to a castle supply-room assistant to find out that, sure enough, the Grand Duke wanted to experiment with heating. So, along with the shipment of ordinary charcoal, he had ordered several wagonloads of the strange black rocks to be transported all the way from the northern border. A wagon master explained that it came from a cave near Sevérckt nad Gorádki and that it burned much better than wood.

"We don't know what to call it yet, but just west of the pass to Rika Chorna there's a mountain full of it. A single wagon of these rocks is like bringing in dozens of cut trees. If this works out, the Grand Duke is thinking about using barges to bring in more of these rocks next year."

"Is he going to use the rocks in the castle's fireplaces, Wagon-master?"

"I don't think so, Servant. These rocks burn too hot for ordinary fireplaces. But, from what I have been told by one of the Royal blacksmiths, His Majesty has been experimenting with special iron stoves. He sent drawings of several designs and ordered the metal-workers to create them."

Silvítya looked up to see Protector Buláshckt, studying at both her and the strange cargo. She had not seen him since he dropped her off at the castle at the end of September. She greeted him and would have left it at that, but she was curious about the stoves. She requested that he escort her to the castle's blacksmiths' shop to see the stoves for herself. It turned out the designs were identical to the stoves used in Babáckt Yaga's settlement. The foreman of the blacksmiths proudly described what his men had created over the summer:

"These designs came from His Majesty himself. They are truly amazing, don't you think? The Creator has blessed the Duchy with a ruler who can create such wonderful inventions for his people."

The concubine forced herself to respond: "Yes Master-Smith. We are truly blessed...that His Majesty is so creative...and he can take credit... blessed indeed..."

A few days after Silvítya's visit to the metal-workers, castle laborers bought one of the new stoves to install in the concubines' bath house. The bath house would become the concubines' favorite spot in the castle, since the room would always be warm and heating water would be so much easier. Since the reading room would not be receiving a stove that winter, the concubines would avoid it and abandon their spokeswoman's regimen of studying and reading. The women would return to light recreation, grooming and massages. Realizing she faced opposition and a possible rebellion if she tried to force her "sisters" back into the cold reading room, Silvítya decided not to push the issue. So...her efforts to improve her companions' intellects came to an end. She hoped to resume with the groups readings in the spring, but was not optimistic.

Silvítya continued her intimate relationship with Antonia, but she had to force herself to be responsive to her sleeping-partner's attentions. The awful truth was that she would have preferred to be left alone. She couldn't figure out why, but by the end of October she realized she had fallen out of love. She did what she could to not hurt the foreign girl's feelings, but she knew that she would not be sorry when Antonia became pregnant and had to be transferred to the maternity ward.

At the end of October, she got her wish. Antonia missed her menstruation and became totally distraught. When she endured a bout of morning sickness for the first time, Silvítya comforted her and pretended to be sympathetic, but inwardly she was elated. Before long, Antonia would be leaving and the relationship would end without her having to do anything that would hurt her lover's feelings.

----------

The weather became colder as the chilly wind blew across the East Danube River, rippling the water and pulling the leaves off the trees. Silvítya stood outside, shivering in the cold and watching the world from the isolated hilltop perch of the Royal Residence. Nothing made any sense to her. Every night she was forced to make love to a man she totally hated. Every day she had to share her meals and baths with a group of women with whom she had nothing in common. She had to speak on behalf of nine other souls and keep them out of trouble, while all she really wanted to do was isolate herself in the library and read. She felt completely alone.

I wish...I could just walk away with my collar and my bucket. That's all I want. I'd feel more at peace walking naked through a forest full of wolves than I feel now.

The Grand Duke did nothing to put his servant's mind at ease. The first night after he had a coal-burning stove installed in his sleeping chamber, he subtly taunted her:

"This stove, and the discovery of the burning rocks, are truly ingenious, don't you agree, my favorite minx?"

"Yes, Your Majesty. Your humble serving girl agrees the stove and the burning rocks are truly ingenious."

He ordered her to get on her elbows and knees. He fondled her bottom and teased her by tracing his finger around her sphincter.

"Yes, indeed. I am quite proud of having introduced this creation to the Duchy. Next year, I will provide stoves to town councils around the Duchy. The stoves will be a gift from me...only one gift out of many I leave as my legacy to this nation."

"Yes, Your Majesty. You have given much to the Duchy."

"Yes, indeed. I have given much, haven't I? In the instance of the stove, I sent my drawings and designs to the Royal printing press. I am publishing them, so that everyone can have the benefit of this invention. I will ask for nothing in return, except for three copper coins to cover the cost of the parchment and ink. I am happy to provide such a selfless service to the Duchy's citizens. Don't you agree, my favorite minx?"

The Grand Duke continued tracing Silvítya's anus with his fingertip. The threat, while unspoken, was very clear. You will acknowledge that I invented the stove, or I will enter your bottom and be as rough about it as possible.

"Yes, Your Majesty. Your humble serving girl agrees. The nation is blessed with the invention that you have provided."

"Very well. Kneel, and I will give you a treat."

Silvítya knelt, and the Grand Duke placed a piece of Turkish delight in her mouth. She hated being fed like a dog, but by now was used to it. The sovereign sat on his bed, studying her while she chewed the candy and swallowed it.

"You have served me well, my favorite minx. Now, I will serve you. If you have a wish, I will grant it, as long as it is reasonable."

Silvítya wanted to stand up and scream: A wish? The only wish I have is to never see you again! I want to leave! I want to get as far from you and this horrid castle as I can! I want to go to the other end of the Duchy and live in the wild with the wolves, just to get away from you! That is my wish, Grand Duke!

She knew she was being tested. The words "as long as it is reasonable" indicated there really was not very much she could ask for and expect to receive. Certainly the Grand Duke was not about to let her leave the castle. To ask for that would be foolish. She thought to herself, what can I ask of him, that he'd actually be willing to grant? Finally she made her request:

"You Majesty, your humble serving girl requests, when Servant Antonia leaves this castle with your child, that she is watched over and properly taken care of. She is a foreigner, and your humble serving girl is worried that her neighbors might give her trouble."

"Yes, of course. I will ensure Servant Antonia's well-being and safety. As you requested, she will live in a nice house and lead a pleasant existence. So, my favorite minx, consider your request granted."

"Your humble serving girl wishes to express her gratitude, Your Majesty."

Two days later, Antonia left the concubine quarters. She tearfully hugged Silvítya goodbye and departed down the hallway with one of the matrons. They still would occasionally see each other when Silvítya had to visit the maternity quarters, but their relationship had ended. Silvítya watched her leave, relieved that at least one person who had loved her was not cursed by the Destroyer.

----------

Silvítya realized that she had changed over the summer. She remained traumatized by everything she had seen over in Hórkustk Ris and the border fort in Iyóshnyakt-Krepóckt. For a few weeks she could talk to the two companions who had accompanied her during the war, because they were equally troubled by everything they had seen. Yes, the three women now were safely back in the Royal Household, sleeping in their comfortable beds, sitting in the bath, and eating wonderful food...but the contrast between their peaceful lives in the castle and the hardships they had endured over the summer made their lives even more surreal than the lives of the "sisters" who did not go out. However, the discussions with the other two were short-lived, because Silvítya's attitude differed from that of her two companions. She wanted to try to make sense out of everything she had seen over the summer, while the other two wanted to block out the horrid memories and resume normal lives. One of the women cynically noted:

"Sister, it was the will of the Creator that we return to the castle. Had the Creator wished us to continue worrying about the war, we would still be on the battlefield. Is that not so?"

"We have to bear witness to what happened to all those men! We can't forget about..."

The other woman cut her off with loud hiss.

"That's not my concern, Sister Silvítya! What's done, is done! The dead have held up their mirrors and we have not! Therefore, I will indulge myself in the pleasures of the Realm of the Living while I can, and not trouble my thoughts with Hórkustk Ris! I don't want to talk about it anymore!"

With that, the "sister" walked off to the bath house. Silvítya thought to herself. So...she wants to forget. I don't. The Ancients have commanded me to bear witness, and I will...

----------

Silvítya remained the appointed leader of the concubine group throughout the winter of 1754-1755. However, her relationship with her companions changed as the winter progressed. Each month one of the women became pregnant, moved to the maternity ward, as had to be replaced. By the end of the year all of the women who had been with the group when Magdala was spokeswoman had become pregnant and departed. Silvítya now was the woman who had been in the Royal Residence longer than any of her companions.

Silvítya spent most of her time away from the concubines' quarters. She had to deal with pregnancies and childbirths, as well as injuries and illnesses. When she was not working as a doctor, she was with the Grand Duke. She knelt by his side as he talked to his commanders, ministers, and castle staff. She shivered in the drafty throne room and cringed as he ran his fingers through her hair, petting her as though she were an animal. However, she continued to listen to the conversations and learning about the Duchy's politics and the Grand Duke's policies. The conversations were interesting and made up for her continuous discomfort and humiliation. When she was released for the day, she went to the library to read up on the topics discussed between her master and other political leaders. She became very knowledgeable about the Duchy and the problems facing its ruler.

By the middle of the winter the Grand Duke was aware that his favorite concubine had paid careful attention to everything discussed in the throne room and had conducted follow-up research. He took advantage of her knowledge and intelligence to test ideas and policy options. Although she was nothing more than a sex slave and totally hated him, she became the ruler's most trusted advisor. She could provide honest opinions and assessments, without worrying about protecting her status among the nobility or defending the interests of an elite family or guild organization. If she thought an idea didn't make sense or was impractical, she said so and explained, from the viewpoint of an ordinary citizen, why it wouldn't work. She was able to detach herself emotionally as she spoke with her Master. She understood that it was to the benefit of people like herself that she give him honest opinions about his policies and plans, even if by doing so she was helping him consolidate his control over the Duchy.

----------

Silvítya remained troubled by the war and wondered how best to bear witness to what she had seen over the summer. She decided to write down her memories of the campaign while the events were still fresh in her mind. So, while the other concubines enjoyed their new metal stove and the over-heated bath house, Silvítya shivered in the library as she filled a stack of parchment with accounts of what she had observed during the fighting. In the beginning she only wrote down what she had seen and the details she picked up from conversations. She studied maps and read accounts of the various places she had visited to make sure her writings were as accurate as possible. She didn't write about events in any particular order: she just wrote details as she remembered them with the intention of organizing them later. Since she really had no one to talk to about the war, writing became therapeutic. It seemed that a lot of the pain in her mind passed through her hand onto the parchment, while looking at maps and studying past battles and events in the southern region helped put her thoughts into better perspective.

At the end of the year, Silvítya was looking through the map collection in the Royal Library when Protector Buláshckt entered the room and observed what she was doing. He looked through her stack of writings and immediately realized the importance of her research. He was literate, but his ability to write came nowhere close to the project the concubine was creating. He briefly talked to her about her memoirs and volunteered to lend her his campaign maps.

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • The Girl with No Name Ch. 19

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 22 milliseconds