• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 09

Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 09

123

As Steve and Chip rode with Captain Neary to the airport, they discussed the current situation. They understood its gravity and dispensed with any banter.

"Kate wanted to try to talk you out of going," revealed Chip. "I told her that it wouldn't change your mind, but it would make leaving more difficult. She understood. She's amazing."

"Gwen wasn't happy, but she knows I've got it to do. It helped when I told her that you were going with me. You've made a very positive impression on the entire family, especially Kate. I don't have to tell you how important that family is to me."

"Yeah, and I can see why. The Anderson women are thoroughbreds. I've never seen a family with so much beauty and brains, yet remain so grounded," replied Chip. "I'm going to do everything I can to win Kate. I can't stop thinking about her."

"They're the best. That's for sure. This situation we're headed into may get kind of hot. Maybe it wasn't fair of me to ask you to come along, but there's nobody that I'd rather have cover my back. We'll have to keep our eyes open and play this close to the vest. I'm not sure exactly what the state department plans, but we need to be ready to adjust on the fly."

"I wonder how they're going to handle this. We don't negotiate with terrorists. What could they expect you to do?" wondered Chip. "I've got a bad feeling about the whole thing. Don't volunteer for anything stupid. Look at the life you have. You're wealthy, have an incredible girl friend, a great career, and some great friends. You've got it all. Think twice before you risk it."

Meanwhile, Gwen and Kate were still at home, trying to not answer questions. They were reluctant to say much of anything.

"Mom, we really don't know very much. Steve was told to report, and he asked Chip to go with him. He obviously felt more comfortable with Chip going along. You can understand why. Except for Steve and Jason, I've never been around a more capable, confident man," responded Gwen to questions from her mother.

"That's right!" agreed Kate. "I was going to ask Steve not to go, but Chip told me that responsibilities fall on the shoulders of men like Steve, and we can't ask him to shirk them. Chip said that Steve feels that it's 'his to do', as the two of them like to say, and it's important that we support him any way possible rather than make him feel guilty about leaving us to do what he must."

"This is quite unusual," interjected Jason. "Steve shouldn't even be considered for any mission until he's totally recovered, and given some time off. You just don't go on back-to-back missions. I'm guessing this may be something forced on the state department, rather than something planned. Maybe they want him to go to some function and escort someone's daughter around or something like that. Of course, he wouldn't need Chip for that."

"Let's just try to enjoy what's left of the holiday," offered Jordan. "We need to have faith in Steve and Chip to do what needs to be done and come back to us. Let's talk about the new homes we're going to build. I want room for at least three kids in my house. Seeing Lisa pregnant has started my maternal juices flowing. Charlie and I really like the concept of all of us living close together in a safe environment. Steve had a great idea."

The next morning saw Gwen and Kate arrive in the kitchen quite early to find their mother already making coffee. They immediately sensed that something was wrong. Paula's face was tight and she looked extremely upset.

"You both need to watch the news from Iraq this morning! A bus with seventeen kids on it was hijacked yesterday. They were international students. All of them were children of western diplomats, mostly European. There's hell to pay. The kidnappers have demanded a ransom, or they'll kill the children," stated Paula very seriously.

"Do you think that has something to do with Steve having to report in last night?" asked Gwen as she moved in front of the television to better see the story.

"I'm afraid so," replied Paula grimly. "He's the ransom they're demanding."

Gwen suddenly became light-headed. She quickly sat down as her mother's words played over in her mind. "Steve's the ransom? Do you mean they want the government to swap Steve for the kids?"

"So it seems," replied Paula. "This is the same fanatical group that attacked Sparta years ago. They seem to have a real bug up their ass about Steve. They've put their demands out over the internet. The kids will be executed unless Steve is turned over to them by midnight, which is 5 PM here."

Gwen mulled that information over for less than a minute before she picked up her cell phone and pressed a number. "Ashley, have the crew of the Red Lady prepare a flight plan for Iraq and tell them to be on stand-by. Call the helicopter service and get them here to Sparta as soon as you can. They need to be ready to fly me to the airport on a moment's notice."

"Gwen, you can't be thinking about going to Iraq! It's not safe there!" gasped Paula.

"Don't even bother, Mom. Gwen has to go, and I'm going with her," insisted Kate. "Those guys risk everything for us. If they need us, we have to be there for them. What kind of women would we be if we just went about business as usual?"

"Oh, Kate! You, too?" cried Paula. "I understand, but I hate it. I'm going to call Jason and see what he thinks you need to take with you, since you're so determined to go. He'll have some good suggestions."

Twenty minutes later, Jason and Lisa walked into the house as Kate and Gwen pulled their suitcases into the living room. "I saw the news. Now your mom tells me you're going to Iraq."

"Yes, Kate and I are all packed. We'll be leaving before long. We just want to know if there's anything you think we should take with us. You're served in Iraq. What will we need?"

"What you'll need is me," responded Jason nonchalantly. "This trip is going to be dangerous as hell. I'm all packed and ready to go."

"You just got out of the hospital. You're not healed completely. Lisa's pregnant! We can't ask you to go with us," worried Kate. "Lisa, make him stay!"

"Kate, my guy is one of 'those guys', much like the guys you both have. He's not staying here when my sisters need him. I wouldn't ask him to. I love him because of his strength and devotion to family. I wouldn't have him be any other way. He'll take care of you."

"How soon are we leaving?" asked Ted as he emerged from his bedroom with a duffel bag. "Do I have time for coffee?"

"Dad? You're going with us? I'm not surprised when I think about it. You're the best father in the world!" managed Gwen as she hugged her father.

"The helicopter's waiting for us by the park. Let's get going," urged Kate as she hugged her mother and opened the front door. "Look at all of the reporters out in the street! It looks like the circus is in town."

"That's one more reason why we need Asgard," observed Gwen as she carried her bag out the door. "We have to get going. Dad, you drive. I'm so wrought up I'd probably run over a few of these idiots."

Ted threaded his way through the media frenzy and then accelerated down the street as reporters scurried to follow them. They pulled up at the park near the high school a few minutes later. Gwen was surprised to see two helicopters sitting on the grassy field near the parking lot. As she climbed out of the family SUV, several other cars pulled up and parked next to where she was standing.

"Look! It's Jordan and Charlie, Billy and Charlotte, Jared and Naomi, and even Coach and Laura!" exclaimed Kate. "Why are they all here?"

"I think it's because they're our friends. They must plan on going with us!" sobbed Gwen as she hurried to embrace them.

"Paula thought a good doctor might be needed and I wouldn't let her go without me," explained Coach Watkins. "A man has to keep his pregnant wife safe."

"Laura! You're pregnant! Congratulations, but do you think it's a good idea for you to be going with us?" worried Gwen.

"You kids keep saving the world and I keep seeing it on TV. This is my chance to be part of your incredible saga. We'll be telling our grandkids about this trip. Besides, you may need a good doctor and I happen to think that I'm one of the best. I never would have met Coach if you and Steve hadn't gotten us together. If I expect you two to be the godparents of my baby next winter, we'd better get over there and pull Steve's ass out of the fire."

"You always had a way with words," chuckled Gwen. "Thanks so much for coming along, even though I worry about your baby. As soon as we can, we'll head back home."

"You weren't thinking of leaving without telling us, were you?" asked Charlotte. "Paula called all upset and asked if Billy might go along to help keep you safe. I told her 'damn straight' he would and I'd be right there with him. Let's get loaded and headed for the airport."

"Gwen! Could I catch a ride? I was preparing to return to Washington when the network told me to stay here and interview you about this new situation. I was just getting to your home when your car left the driveway, so I turned around and followed," revealed Amber Stahl. "I'll stay out of the way and I'll clear my reports with you before I send them, at least until this is resolved."

"Sure, as long as you don't report anything that could endanger us, or Steve," replied Gwen. "That may mean waiting till this is all over and we have Steve back home."

"Everyone get on the choppers!" called Kate as she grabbed her bag and started for the helicopters. "We're wasting time that we don't have by standing here talking."

As the group crowded into the two helicopters, news vans began pulling into the parking lot. The first two into the lot managed to video the doors closing and the choppers lifting off. That was all they were able to report. The destination was unknown.

An hour later, the group had transferred to the Red Lady and was waiting for permission to take off. "Gwen, why are you going to Iraq? What do you hope to accomplish?" asked Amber as she aimed her camera at Gwen's face.

"You remember when Steve dove into that icy river to save those infants? I knew I had to be prepared to help him when he surfaced, so I jumped into the water to be there for him. It turned out that I saved his life because I was proactive. I didn't wait for the situation to develop. I saw what was going to be needed and I prepared for it.

"That's what I'm doing today, what all of us are doing. Steve may need help. He's going to need his friends and he's especially going to need me. I'm going to be as ready as possible when the time comes."

"What about your friends? Aren't you concerned that they'll be in danger, too? Is it a good idea to take them with you?" asked Amber.

"There are many different thoughts about what constitutes a friend," replied Gwen as she looked around at the assembled entourage listening to her every word. "For Steve and me, friends are people that we love, and we will risk everything for. They owe us nothing, but give us everything. I'd never try to dissuade any of these friends from going on this journey. It would be disrespectful to them. I'm their friend and understand how they feel about Steve and Chip, and about the responsibilities of friendship. These are the people I want around me when the chips are down. They'll stand with me, no matter what. Of that, I'm certain!"

It was an extremely long flight with a stop in Germany for fuel. It was on the last leg of the journey when Gwen received the news. The pilot spoke briefly to Jason, who returned to the cabin to relay the information to the other travelers.

"The pilot just received word that Steve has been exchanged for the seventeen students. The kids are all safe and healthy."

Everyone went silent and looked to Gwen as the meaning of Jason's words sunk in. Gwen's lip quivered briefly, but she managed to force a smile. "Those poor, dumb bastards! Steve won't let them live now that the kids are safe. They'll all be dead before this is over."

"Yeah!" agreed Kate. "Chip will help Steve kill those mother f...., uh, mud suckers. Sorry about the language, Dad."

"Don't worry about offending me," chuckled Ted grimly. "If those mother fuckers aren't dead when we get there, we'll soon remedy that situation."

Kate's mouth fell open when she heard her father swear, but she soon recovered. "That's my Dad! Be sure you give Chip 'The Talk' when we get him back with us. He's going to be hanging around your youngest daughter quite a lot from now on!"

"There's got to be more to this story," reasoned Charlie. "The U.S. doesn't negotiate with terrorists. We'd never offer to exchange a citizen in good standing for foreign nationals, regardless of the threat to them."

"We'll try to figure all of that out when we can, but our first priority is to get Steve back," insisted Gwen. "We need to find Chip. He must have some sort of plan, or at least an idea on how to rescue Steve. I'm really glad now that he went with Steve. I'm certain he'll do everything possible to get Steve out of this mess."

"We need to begin making our own plans," advised Jason. "Jared, Charlie, and I have been on the ground in Iraq and understand the culture better than the rest of you will. Everyone needs to stay close and to heed any suggestions or orders from any of us three. It's got to be that way. There's no debate. Does everyone understand and agree?"

Everyone nodded their assent and remained quiet as Jason continued. "We'll find out as much as we can about where Steve was swapped, who he was handed over to, and where they may have taken him. The CIA should be all over this. I imagine they have a plan to get Steve back. We don't want to interfere with their efforts, but we need to be ready to do what we can."

The Red Lady landed in Baghdad around 1 AM Local time. Jason and Jared immediately began calling their Army contacts in Iraq. Naomi did much the same with her Navy friends.

"The guys are really upset that the state department allowed this swap," announced Naomi after speaking with some of her comrades in the Navy. "Our government didn't make the swap; they simply introduced Steve to the families of the kids being held. That was about an hour before the deadline. No one was surprised when Steve volunteered to make the trade. My friends feel that Steve was set up. The CIA knew what kind of man he is and how he'd respond to the situation. No one's seen Chip. They didn't even know that he was with Steve. This whole situation stinks to high heaven!"

"I'm getting pretty much the same from my contacts," confirmed Jared. "The whole military is upset that something like this was allowed. What really pisses them off is that the CIA hasn't asked for any help, or even backup, from the Rangers or Seals already in Iraq. They're all more than willing to walk into hell to make this right, but they've been given no orders."

"I finally found someone that had a hunch about what was going on," revealed Jason. "I had my brother make some inquiries. He's a colonel now and has a few connections. He's been given the impression, unofficially of course, that the CIA isn't trying too hard to get Steve back. If he's killed by these terrorists, Congress will allocate all sorts of funds to have the group destroyed. The CIA will be in high clover if that happens."

"What! They'd allow those bastards to just kill Steve to pad their budget? The government doesn't work that way, does it?" demanded Kate. "President Hanson wouldn't do that to Steve!"

"He probably wasn't even informed until it was too late," responded Jason. "The CIA plays by its own rules. Presidents don't always know what it's doing, or what its goals are.

"The good news is that there's a consensus about where Steve would likely be held. Everyone thinks he'll be taken north as far as possible, which isn't all that far with our planes and drones looking for them. Most of the so-called experts think Steve must be within a hundred miles of Baghdad, and probably north."

"Let's set up about a hundred miles north, then," reasoned Gwen. "We have some helicopters already hired to carry us to our final destination. You know the general area where I want to go, Jason. Can you suggest a safe place for us to stay while we try to find out more about Steve?"

Jason moved his head slightly and left the room, with Jared and Charlie following. After a few minutes, the men came back inside. "We've determined a location to set up. It's a medium sized village with a pretty good American presence. It's relatively safe, at least for this part of the world."

A couple hours later, the group had rented several small homes from locals that were delighted to accept American money for the use of their homes. They would stay with relatives until the Americans were gone.

Gwen, Kate, Jordan and the rest soon began asking questions about Steve and Chip. They handed out flyers to anyone that would accept them and asked numerous questions of anyone that could speak English. Jason and Jared contacted anyone and everyone they knew in the Army to put out the word that they were looking for Steve and Chip and would follow up on any rumors or leads they would get.

It was shortly after noon when Jason once again approached Gwen as she, Kate, and Jordan were speaking to a young villager. "Ladies, I just heard that the terrorists put out a new video on the web. Steve was in it. He was pretty badly beaten, and the terrorists promised they'd post another video at noon. It's going to be one of those graphic and grisly videos of a beheading."

Jordan and Kate gasped loudly before turning their attention to Gwen. She was extremely pale and appeared to be trembling as she spoke. "This won't stop us! Steve's alive right now and we'll keep trying to find him. He wasn't meant to end like this. That video will never be aired because it'll never happen!"

Gwen quickly turned and walked away. Once she was in an alley between two shops, she leaned back against a wall and began crying. That's how Kate and Jordan found her a little bit later.

"I know it looks bad, but Steve had Chip watching his back," reasoned Kate. "You've seen what those two guys can do. We can't give up. They need us and we have to be ready to help them any way we can."

A few hours later, Billy hurried up to Gwen, Jordan, and Kate. "Charlotte insisted that I find you. The second video was never aired! Those bastards promised a video of them beheading Steve at noon, but it never materialized. That's gotta be a good thing!"

The next two days dragged by slowly. Gwen and Jordan had ordered that basic supplies for the people of the village be flown in. Gwen believed that the more people they came into contact with, and impressed favorably, the better their chances of learning something about Steve and Chip. They were overseeing the distribution of food items, seeds, and simple tools on the third day after Steve had been turned over to the terrorists when an old man tugged on Gwen's sleeve.

Gwen excused herself and stepped off to the side with the wizened old man. "I don't know if you can understand me or not, but I only speak English. Do you need food?"

The old man led Gwen farther from the group. Once they were out of sight, around the corner of a building, the old man remained silent as he held his closed hand out to Gwen. Not knowing exactly what he wanted, she simply looked on in bewilderment. The man took her hand with his other and pulled it to his closed hand. Then he dropped something onto her palm.

Curiously, Gwen raised the items closer to her face so she could see them better. She suddenly gasped as she recognized both Steve's and Chip's dog tags! She forced herself to remain calm as she studied the face of the old man.

"Where did you get these?" asked Gwen gently, not wanting to frighten the man. All she got from the old timer was a blank look. Just then, she saw a young man that she knew spoke English walking past. Gwen summoned him to her side.

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 09

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 19 milliseconds